Soy Waxed Dipped Bears

Hi

My name is Annie, and I am just starting to do the Wax Dipped Bears. I just had a problem, and I can't seem to find an answer to, so I decided to post. Has anyone eve dipped a bear, and had the wax harden IMMEDIATELY? Maybe I didn't wait long enough for the wax to cool down, but after I added the fragrance, I dipped the bear, and as I was wringing it out, the was was hardening on my gloves and getting al over the bear. I am using ecosoya pillar wax. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Annie:grin2:

I'm at work so this will be short. I use this wax also. Heat to 175. add fo cool to 150. use tongs to test your wax. If you dip the tongs and the wax hardens right away your wax isn't ready. You have to work fairly fast also. And it takes practice. I ruined a few bears before I got them to look good. Email me if you want more tips and I'll be happy to help. Gotta get back to work now though.

Thanks so much for your responses! I had bought a few kits (bears, FO, Soy Wax etc.) and they turned out wonderfully, so I ordered 50 lbs. of soy wax and a few dozen bears thinking it would be smooth sailing .... First one I dipped today looks TERRIBLE! I am still experimenting, looking for a way to supplement my income. I even played around with making tarts, but I believe I need to start at the very beginning instead of jumping into this. I have been reading alot of the posts, and I have come to the conclusion that I don't know anything! I didn't realize what a big business candle making is!

I will be a frequent poster, as I have 50 pounds of wax to use up.........or, being that I live in Florida, I can throw it off my lanai Xmas Eve and freak out my downstairs neighbor.........................

Annie:yay:

100% Soywax w/ a small % of beewax is all I dip my bears in! I learned about dipped bears a little over a yr ago on a forum that only has soywax. I melt the wax just like I'm doing a candle to 180 then add the FO at 175 then I dip immediately (you need a thick pair of gloves for this- ask me how I know :grin2:). If the wax hardens before you finish you can zap it w/ a heat gun to melt the wax to work w/ fluffing it. I also melt only enough wax for one bear at a time. HTH :)

But what's the point? Bears aren't burned or even heated. All you need is a carrier for the FO and paraffin seems ideal for that. It's completely inert, can't go rancid, isn't particularly appetizing to anything. I mean, using soy wax is better than dipping them in margarine but not all that different. Just because soy wax is a paraffin alternative for candles doesn't make it a sensible alternative for everything that paraffin is used for.

But what's the point? Bears aren't burned or even heated. All you need is a carrier for the FO and paraffin seems ideal for that. It's completely inert, can't go rancid, isn't particularly appetizing to anything. I mean, using soy wax is better than dipping them in margarine but not all that different. Just because soy wax is a paraffin alternative for candles doesn't make it a sensible alternative for everything that paraffin is used for.

Do you dip bears?