2 piece plastic molds

I have a peak order coming today and I ordered 3 of the novelty molds..a cherub, a christmas tree, and a kitty. Im wondering about how to do this. Since the mold is 2 pieces, they snap together at the corners right? How do you pour in the wax without it coming out the sides? And are there seam lines on the sides of the candle? If there's anyone out there that has used these 2 piece plastic molds, can you explain to me how to use it? Thanks!

Word of warning on the plastic molds: If you intend to use them over and over again, do not use FO. I bought some plastic molds and after I'd used them twice, they were pitted inside, and in some places the plastic looked like it was "melted". On further research, I discovered that manufacturers recommend that you do not use FO in plastic molds.

This is what is says on Pourette's website, where I bought my molds. I believe they are the same type sold at Peaks......

"Excessive use of fragrance or essential oil will shorten the life span of all types of molds for candles. It will dry plastic and acrylic molds and make them brittle. It may also cause softening, discoloration and pitting in all types of candle molds. This may shorten the life of your mold. Please use care."

Let us know how yours turn out if you use FO......

I have the plastic clips, but umm.. melted some using them on a metal saturn mold. Don't ask...lol. Anyway, I don't use those anymore. I tape completely around the seam with scotch tape, then clamp all the way around with those thick black metal binder clip things. Clamps hold pretty good and the tape prevents any small leaks. Course, you'll still need the stand though, unless you want to stick it in a bowl of dried beans or rice or something.

Word of warning on the plastic molds: If you intend to use them over and over again, do not use FO. I bought some plastic molds and after I'd used them twice, they were pitted inside, and in some places the plastic looked like it was "melted". On further research, I discovered that manufacturers recommend that you do not use FO in plastic molds.

This is what is says on Pourette's website, where I bought my molds. I believe they are the same type sold at Peaks......

"Excessive use of fragrance or essential oil will shorten the life span of all types of molds for candles. It will dry plastic and acrylic molds and make them brittle. It may also cause softening, discoloration and pitting in all types of candle molds. This may shorten the life of your mold. Please use care."

Let us know how yours turn out if you use FO......

I totally agree. I was really disappointed in the plastic molds I bought last year around Thanksgiving and Christmas (not from Peaks; I think it was Candles and supplies). They had various designs and I thought they'd make cool candles but after only a couple of uses the candle began to stick and made it hard to pull it off the plastic. The insides of the mold looked strange and all in all I didn't think it was worth the money. I threw them away. Now I stick with metal or aluminum molds, with the occasion polycarb mold thrown in (although they seem to have a relatively short life too!). I guess if you used no fragrance at all you might have a better result than I did, but I was making huge pumpkins for Halloween and such and the people didn't want them unscented....

DanaE

DanaE

Thanks for your replies! I dont plan on using any FO in these molds and I emailed Alan, he suggested the metal binder clips also. I can find something else to hold the mold upright since I dont have the stand. I got 3 of these molds as i said earlier...I hope they last awhile, but if I dont have good luck with them, I'll just stick with metal molds also. Im expecting the order to be here anytime now, I'll play tonight and post what turned out :)

I always use masking tape and then the bulldog clips. I bough a few hundred when I was making lampshades....you can get them at K-mart or any place like that....I actually make wood jigs for the front and back of large molds and then tape and clamp with c-clamps. The two pieces of wood hold large molds or unusual shapes together so they don't leak out so much....then you have to trim the seams, then buff....they are a PITA......but I still do them. I like the teardrop chunkies because I crackle them and they come out smooth. My teardrop molds are terribly pitted from FO's. Be sure you have a good coating of Pam or WD 40.....that helps a little. Good luck! Donita