Babassu replacements

Scented

I know, there really isn't anything. I think a few peeps from here were going to try adding more coconut to their formulas in replacement of babassu. Was curious how that worked out. I noticed Soaper's Choice has gone up $3 on a 7 lb bottle of the stuff and I'm thinking of dropping it if it goes any higher.

Well it goes up much more and I can live without it lol! In a year's time it's jumped $9, so thinking there has got to be a decent way to make up for it. Also thought a few people from here were playing around with using more coconut to make up for it.

I know, there really isn't anything. I think a few peeps from here were going to try adding more coconut to their formulas in replacement of babassu. Was curious how that worked out. I noticed Soaper's Choice has gone up $3 on a 7 lb bottle of the stuff and I'm thinking of dropping it if it goes any higher.

Last time I purchased it, I bought a large amount since it was OOS for so long. Now I'm scraping the bottom of the bucket so I checked to see what the price was now and noticed it had gone up. Bummer. I love babassu oil in my soap. I guess I would try to up your CO and PKO amounts and see if that works for you.

I ordered a bunch too and was getting low and since I needed another 50 lbs of coconut, I added another 7 lb bottle for a reserve, but yep, there was that $3 difference. I'll have to start working with combinations I guess when I get chance to do some test batches and that will probably happen when I order more lye in a few months.

There is a butter called Tucuma Butter which has very similar Fatty Acid profile and SAP values to Babassau. I got mine from NDA. I have used it in soap and it does add hardness and lather. But since I have never used Babassau I can not say how it actually compares.

I just placed an order at Columbus Foods yesterday and the coconut has gone down since I ordered last. My rationale is since coconut has gone down I can offset the decrease by keeping the babassu in my soap. I love what babassu does to my soap and will keep purchasing it regardless of the price.