Need Help With Scents for Black Tarts

hometowncandles

I ordered a chunk of coal mold from flexible molds, coal is a huge industry around here, I'm going to use it for tarts for a show this summer.

I am having a hard time deciding on scents that would be appropriate for black chunks of coal. I'm thinking licorice for one, but not everybody likes the smell of licorice. I thought blackberry too, even though they are more of a deep purple. But the only blackberry I've tried was KY's and I wasn't crazy about it. Most of their scents I adore, but this one just wasn't what I was expecting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

TIA

Jennifer

• 3 years later...

Mulberry, Black Orchid, Leather, and anything from Nature's Garden's "Fragrance by Color" guide under their "Black Fragrances" category: http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/candlemaking-soap-supplies/category/87357/Black-Fragrances.html

I know this is an old thread, but this is a cute idea for Christmas to give as a gift to people, who were so naughty this year they only deserve to get a lump of coal in their Christmas stocking! Also cute to know the "Black Fragrances" for Halloween candles.

Edited by HorsescentS

HorsescentS, I'm glad you dug this up! Not only for Christmas, but I'm planning on doing the "Coal Festival" next summer, and I was wondering what scents to do for the chunks of coal!! I'm trying to find a scent to call "Summer Night" and another to call "Hillbilly Gold", not sure yet, but that's what I had in mind!

I just searched www.fragranceoilfinder.com for the word "Black" and, wow, there are a lot of results! http://www.fragranceoilfinder.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=black&osCsid=a129f251634988b4169511ecad5d5920&x=0&y=0

You can also search it for the words "Night" and "Midnight" and "Dark," etc.

Edited by HorsescentS

For a coal shaped mold why not Coal Tar for the manliest of men.:rolleyes2

.50 leather .33 blend (dirt FO + neem EO) .17 tea tree 5 drops anise + citronella

Stinky but true.

By the way, where'd you get the mold?

Other options:

SOS Black Pepper (it's a unisex fragrance blend)

Patch, Leather, Oak moss, Black Cherry, to name a few.

Edited by rctfavr3

I found coal shaped molds at a local grocery store years ago. I used them at xmas filling little stockings with them. I used scents that were big sellers. Nobody seemed to mind that vanilla was black. They will pay more attention to the shape then what scent it is. Just use your most popular scents.