favorite place to get butters, oils, etc. to add to soap

dogmom1

hi,

i'm getting ready to bite the bullet and pay the shipping on 40 pounds of base from EBC. I know it's PA's fave, and what finally convinced me was looking at craft store prices and remembering what i used to pay for the stuff i got there. ridiculous to say the least. with the sale at EBC, i just HAVE to do it! i'm also going to get some SFIC with the prebuy.

OK, so now where do i get the other "stuff"? and do i want refined or unrefined shea butter? i have a local beekeeper who sells beeswax for candles and soap, can i use that?

i will be very grateful for all suggestions and help on this!!!! i am in new jersey (yes, i know, the shipping from CA, i AM nuts) so closer is better, i will pay more if it's really worth it.

i am one of the very grateful to God, blessed ones who still has a good job and most likely will continue to have one, so i can do this right now. we have a very small nest egg tho, so i am hoping to get enough going over a few years, with candles and soap, to supplement retirement money.

sorry this ended up so long, thanks in advance for your help,

eileen

I would recommend The Therapy Garden, www.therapygarden.com or maybe WSP www.wholesalesuppliesplus although I hate that they take so dang long to ship anything. BUT...

You can also order mango. cocoa, and shea butter from EBC. If you click on their bases and oils page you'll find it with a bunch of their other bases.

Did you know they also have sugar scrub base and walnut scrub base? I just learned that today LOL! Ohh and colorants too!

As long as the beeswax you get is clean and ready to use, I don't see why you couldn't use it. The pastilles you can buy are sure handy, but I've used beeswax in block form before as well.. just shredded it.

You can buy goat's milk at walmart in the bakery section I believe. They have powdered and usually some in a can as well.

Happy shopping!

Definitely buy some shea butter. I prefer the refined as it has no scent.

Other great additives are 76 degree coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil, and veggie glycerin. Many of these you may be able to find at a local health food store or supermarket.

Don't know if EBC has these as I don't buy supplies there.

I've got great news!!!! I just talked with Bill at EBC and they are going to run a sale on their m&p soap probably this week end or the first of the week!!!!! I was asking about shipping price and I was surprised it was reasonable. USPS to anywhere in US is like $19.95 for 40#...I didn't think that was bad at all. If you go with UPS, it was going to be like $34 to me. When I started telling him that I was interested in their m&p, he quickly advised me to wait for the sale. I thought that was very nice of him to give me a head's up.

Also, they have bought out the manufacturer they got their soaps from and are making it all themselves and can afford to pass along the savings to the customers. I asked if he mided my sharing all this with you and he was happy to have me do it. I was ready to order today but now I'm going to wait.

The way I figure it, buying 40# makes the white soap $1.75 per pound, plus $.50 per pound shipping....I'm still just paying $2.25 per pound...that's better than the free shipping at SS on their SFIC.

Anyway, if you have any questions, I would recommend you call them as they are VERY helpful.

Sorry to take so much space but I just had to share!!!!!

Nancy

I've got great news!!!! I just talked with Bill at EBC and they are going to run a sale on their m&p soap probably this week end or the first of the week!!!!! I was asking about shipping price and I was surprised it was reasonable. USPS to anywhere in US is like $19.95 for 40#...I didn't think that was bad at all. If you go with UPS, it was going to be like $34 to me. When I started telling him that I was interested in their m&p, he quickly advised me to wait for the sale. I thought that was very nice of him to give me a head's up.

Also, they have bought out the manufacturer they got their soaps from and are making it all themselves and can afford to pass along the savings to the customers. I asked if he mided my sharing all this with you and he was happy to have me do it. I was ready to order today but now I'm going to wait.

The way I figure it, buying 40# makes the white soap $1.75 per pound, plus $.50 per pound shipping....I'm still just paying $2.25 per pound...that's better than the free shipping at SS on their SFIC.

Anyway, if you have any questions, I would recommend you call them as they are VERY helpful.

Sorry to take so much space but I just had to share!!!!!

Nancy

That IS wonderful news! Aren't they just peachy people to talk to? Their customer service is fantastic, I've never had them not be able to answer a question, and never been disappointed yet. I just love working with them. Wow, that shipping price is really good. 40 pounds of soap is heavy! That's a really big round of soap just so you know what to expect!! It comes wrapped in heavy plastic that you can re-cover it in though. Last time I just cut it up in 2 pound blocks and put it in bags for ease of use.

Hi!

I called EBC and also spoke with Bill. from what he told me, they will be pouring 20 pounds right into a plastic liner in the box. that means i can now get 2 different kinds of base. i think i'm going to try the new natural, as well as my original choice, the white.

said to check their website on saturday since he wasn't sure when it would be posted, but that it is definitely will be better than the savings right now with the 40 pound boy, which has to be all the same soap!

and best of all, it's USPS PRIORITY mail, which means faster delivery for me! almost forgot, you have to CALL to get the USPS shipping option!!

i am over the moon right now, so excited i can hardly stand it!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

now i just have to figure out what else i need from them.......

happy shopping!

eileen

Yeee Hawwwwww! I guess I'll be trying the Natural base now too! This is fantastic news!! I'm going to talk to him about advertising on this board too I think. I bet with their shipping deals and sales they could get a lot of new business.. especially after I get all you gals using this soap so you can help me spread the word about how good they are! :)

i can't wait to see what their rewards program will be!! i told bill that you (PA) were the reason i was buying their bases.

i agree they should advertise, i think they'd do well. i told bill that with the info about the shipping USPS on this board, they should get more calls. so many people want to use their bases but just can't deal with the shipping cost.

anyone know the best thing to add to alleviate itching? my hubby says his skin itches almost all the time. no particular skin problems at all, just the itch. ..... it must be really annoying for him.... :sad2:

thanx!

I'm sure down the road we could probably do a co-op with him when he's not running a sale. I'm just thrilled that we can actually get it cheaper from him, and if PA is right, it's a better product. I can hardly wait to see the sale.

Eileen I'm glad you mentioned having to call in an order to get the USPS shipping. I had forgotten about him saying that (although I would have called mine in anyway).

PA are you going to make addicts out of all of us?????? :cheesy2:

I'm sure down the road we could probably do a co-op with him when he's not running a sale. I'm just thrilled that we can actually get it cheaper from him, and if PA is right, it's a better product. I can hardly wait to see the sale.

Eileen I'm glad you mentioned having to call in an order to get the USPS shipping. I had forgotten about him saying that (although I would have called mine in anyway).

PA are you going to make addicts out of all of us?????? :cheesy2:

Yes! That is my goal! :P

i am so bad at doing the "quote" of parts of a message, i won't even try. PA, you mentioned therapy garden and WSP as possible sources for butters and oils and such, but mentioned slow shipping. was that just for WSP? i'm also going to see what the (relatively) local health food store carries. i know he has oils just don't remember what.

also, do the colorants from EBC bleed? with all that base, i hafta try swirls! the scrub bases really sound good.... uh oh, i'm in big trouble.......

my walmart isn't a super one, i didn't see goat's milk, but we have an african store nearby, i am sure they have it. i may even find someone with goats!

lastly i just want to say a really BIG thank you to you and everyone for the time you take to help us new people! you guys are great!!! :cheesy2:

i am so bad at doing the "quote" of parts of a message, i won't even try. PA, you mentioned therapy garden and WSP as possible sources for butters and oils and such, but mentioned slow shipping. was that just for WSP? i'm also going to see what the (relatively) local health food store carries. i know he has oils just don't remember what.

also, do the colorants from EBC bleed? with all that base, i hafta try swirls! the scrub bases really sound good.... uh oh, i'm in big trouble.......

my walmart isn't a super one, i didn't see goat's milk, but we have an african store nearby, i am sure they have it. i may even find someone with goats!

lastly i just want to say a really BIG thank you to you and everyone for the time you take to help us new people! you guys are great!!! :cheesy2:

WSP has been so slow to ship for me. I dont' know what others' experience has been with them. They just seem to take days to get stuff together to go out. I know they are very busy.

Therapy garden is pretty quick to ship. I'm not sure if their prices are any better on the butters than EBC.. you'll have to compare.

I haven't tried the EBC colorants yet.

WSP has some non bleeding MP colorants that I've heard good things about.

I use fresh goat's milk all the time! So if you find someone with goats, go for it!

First off - I was reading another thread about EBC and decided to order some samples of their all natural soap. It is due to be delievered today.

Second - awesome to hear about an upcoming sale! Depending on my experiences with the samples, I may be jumping on that one!!! :)

As for WSP and their shipping. I TOTALLY agree with you PA. I'm one state closer to them than you and it still takes a whole week from the time I order until it is delivered. It's always two days spent in their place before it's even shipped. I love a few things from them, but definately not one to order from when you're in a time crunch!

Don't think I can get in on the sale this time. I would also love to try their M&P bases and see if they are as good as the ones I use-- or better. But with so many expenses this month it will have to wait. Besides-- I still have quite a bit of soap base left. I buy in bulk about 60 -90 pounds at a time so if their shipping will save me money I'll have to give it a try sometime.

EBC's butters are awesome and you won't be disappointed if you decide to get them from her. I've tried them all :laugh2:. Soap bases are really nice as well. I just wish she'd carry more of a variety of butters and some oils so I could do 1 stop shopping.

EBC's butters are awesome and you won't be disappointed if you decide to get them from her. I've tried them all :laugh2:. Soap bases are really nice as well. I just wish she'd carry more of a variety of butters and some oils so I could do 1 stop shopping.

I have good reason to believe that they are listening to us.. and will be watching what we have to say! I spoke on the phone with Catalina herself today, and she is very excited to know that there is much interest in their soap! She said she couldn't wait to tell their chemist who developed the recipe too!

They are trying very hard to come up with great shipping options because they are not centrally located and know that many would-be customers are hindered by the cost of shipping. They are hoping to have the larger flat rate box shipping worked out very soon.. they said the box holds 30 pounds but for optimal no-waste packaging they would have to possibly fill it to 28 pounds. These are issues they are working on right now, and she asked for my email address so she could let me know as soon as they had some concrete plan! What very friendly people they are! And they seem to have customer service at the top of their list of priorities!

I want to see all of us MP soapers have the best base product at our fingertips! :yay::yay::yay:

I just wanted to clarify my previous post.

The shipping I spoke to Catalina about is just another option they are trying to work out. Bill had told some of you about them currently shipping USPS, and that still stands. They are just trying to give us even more options, so they are trying to figure out how much they can fit into the new bigger flat rate boxes too!

So sorry for any confusion. I should have mentioned that in the other post!

Yipeeeee I got my samples yesterday from EBC. And all I can say is wow. I really like there whipoped body frosting it goes on smooth and not greasy. Makes my skin feel so smooth. I am going to play with the soap samples later today. I got some goats milk,shea butter and the new natural ones. I still have to try the samples of lotions I got the new shea butter and there regular lotion base. I also bought some bath salts scented and unscented to try. Also there shower gel and glycerin both scented. And last but not least I had to buy some bottle and jar samples. So much to play with and so little time. :yay: Regina