I absolutely HAVE to try this

i wish i hadn't looked too! i've only done containers, why the pillar wax for the hearts? firmer? higher melt temp? could i use container wax? i use 464 for my regular candles. i have several other container waxes that have higher melt points (don't they all!) do you think they would work since i'm using the 464?

that being said, i have to check my cookie cutters!

tia,

ei

i wish i hadn't looked too! i've only done containers, why the pillar wax for the hearts? firmer? higher melt temp? could i use container wax? i use 464 for my regular candles. i have several other container waxes that have higher melt points (don't they all!) do you think they would work since i'm using the 464?

that being said, i have to check my cookie cutters!

tia,

ei

You make embeds and tarts using pillar wax. They also pop out of the mold easier. Use container wax for the overpour.

Here is a place that I have bought lots of cookie cutters from. I own more cookie cutters than a cookie factory (smile)

http://www.thecookiecuttershop.com/

One thing I learned after cutting thousands of shapes is to spray your cookie sheet with pam and I like to use a higher melt point wax for the cut outs. I also use additives to make the cut outs opaque. Let the wax set up until it is pretty firm. If you cut too soon, the soft wax will spread back and seal the edges of where you just cut. It should be just soft enough to cut.....watch it carefully. If the wax is very cool.....I use needle nose pliers to pull the cookie cutters out of the wax sheet....easier than fingers.... Let it cool completely. Then I tap the cookie sheet on the floor and most of the cut outs just pop out.

Donita

Thanks Donita. I found some ok cutters in the fondant section of Michaels and have some containers on the way (I abandoned candlemaking a while ago but I keep being drawn back!).

If I'm careful do you think it can be done on round containers? When the wax is still a bit warm or something?

You make embeds and tarts using pillar wax. They also pop out of the mold easier. Use container wax for the overpour.

I was wondering...has anyone had to wick up to make up for the wee bit of pillar wax from the embeds? I think I may try a few of these myself. Like I need more stuff to do uggh, I am already behind :P.

I tried one of these over the weekend and while it worked I have some kinks to work out. I used soy pillar wax for the hearts and apparently the melt point is too low because they bled into the overpour.

I have some 6028 stashed away so I'm going to pull that out and try again.

I found the cookie cutters at Michael's and some 10 oz cubes at Dollar Tree so I didn't have to pay shipping or I wouldn't have even attempted these this late in the game for valentine's.

I tried one of these over the weekend and while it worked I have some kinks to work out. I used soy pillar wax for the hearts and apparently the melt point is too low because they bled into the overpour.

I have some 6028 stashed away so I'm going to pull that out and try again.

I found the cookie cutters at Michael's and some 10 oz cubes at Dollar Tree so I didn't have to pay shipping or I wouldn't have even attempted these this late in the game for valentine's.

You didn't pour the overpour too hot did you? That could cause some bleeding.