An Idea - Certification

karadawn

Hi Ladies!

I apologize for not introducing myself before jumping right in, but I've been a lurker here for quite some time (years, even). But I've got an idea that I'd like to run past everyone here.

After battling a new Candle Wealth rep on another board who thinks she knows everything about candle making, I've become very concerned about the safety of some of the handmade candles on the market. Now I'm assuming every single person here sells only the highest quality and safest candles because you probably wouldn't be here if you didn't test, test, test. No, this is more for those who think if they buy a kit without researching they automatically make perfect candles.

The idea is pushing forward state laws for a certification of some sort. The certification would be similar to those who make baked goods in their homes and require a certified kitchen. Instead of the kitchen though, the certification would depend on their process more than anything else. This would include things like making sure the oils are properly weighed (not measured as I've seen some CW reps state is fine), melting wax in a double broiler or other type of specific candle equipment, using correct supplies, and so on. (If I'm missing something, please say so!)

Anyway, what do you all think? I wouldn't have a problem with paying an annual fee (say, $100 or less, give or take) to be certified. It would put a stop to the unsafe products being sold and well, knock down our local competition.

Wanting some feedback to see what you all think!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, IMO what is stopping people from "doing it correctly" to get certified and then cutting corners and doing it half arsed the rest of the time? Are you expecting the government to check up on you periodically (weekly, monthly, etc) like they do at a food establishment? Your gonna have every yahoo on the planet slapping down $100 and thinking they can make candles cause they are "certified".

Hmmmm wondering what certification would entail. And who would check up on us. How much would it cost. Candle Wealth, well, their problem. I am sure that the have disclaimers like crazy.

Testers. It works. Never sent out a candle to a tester that did not work for me first.

I am sure there are plenty of people here, on the board who would be happy to test. We use to have a program. I tested for a few people here and visa versa.

Couple of things popped into my head.

Make the certification voluntary. Then you can educate your consumers but don't make them freak out (like I've seen with some soy chandlers) that you've taken the voluntary steps. Sort of like the little web sticker you get for vouching for handmade.

Making it mandatory would increase costs for the little guy, some people here make great money, most do not. Even $100 a year is steep if you're barely breaking even.

Additionally, some people use different facilities at different times of the year. During the holidays, I know a couple of chandlers who say they rent out space to be able to mass produce, but do it from a small in home (or added small building) the rest of the year. They'd need to certify all areas.

Aside from all of the above - there is no standard testing facility or procedure for candles. There's no earmarks on quality. What works for me, in my area for example, where it's high elevation and extremely dry, might not work as well as I would hope in... Florida say. I did tons of research into this after my thread a long time ago. Because of the lighter air, candle flame height can vary. Without a set of standards and given what constitutes a good candle is different between each and every one of us, forcing us to go "uniform" takes the uniquity out of the home craft market.

Very bad idea.

a. It would not improve safety.

b. It would cost money and paperwork, plus tax payer dollars (more of our money) to administer such a program.

c. Some ambitious Barney Fife government official would eventually be shutting businesses down because their melting units were 1/16 inch to close to the wall.

Take a look at what has happened to OSHA regulations and related court costs over the years. That was another good idea gone completely insane, thanks to government "improvements".

Give it time, it will be here.

As for wanting it ... no way. Can't stop the know-it-alls. There are a few even on this board. Can't stop the companies like Candle Wealth or wait till you meet Mia Bella lol ... there will always be someone putting a twist or a spin on something and will you want that regulated? No. Really gotta agree with everyone else here ... the only thing the government will do is rob me blind (IMO.)

I'm not sure I understand why it matters what I melt my wax in or how much FO I choose to use in my wax but no one is checking if I'm using the correct wick, warning stickers, etc., let alone who decides what the "correct" supplies would be. It is about as effective as certifying the public that they know how to properly burn a candle and that isn't happening anytime soon.

There is already legislation in the works concerning childrens and B&B crafts. Neither has been passed yet and both are very badly written. If they don't get changed and pass as is many small businesses will fold. Thats too many thousands of people across the nation to think about that would be out of work and unemployed because they would no longer qualify for making & selling their own crafts.

As if this isn't bad enough-- you think we may want to see this happen to candlemaking too?!!! Unbelievable!

I'd have to say no thanks also. Just another means for the government to control the small business owner or home crafter. And people who buy candles should then be certified on how to burn a candle correctly. That's the big problem.

I think the majority of chandlers test, test, test before putting out a final product anyways so why the need for govt intervention?

When I opened my store, they put me thru this stuff. So many inches away from the wall. Had to have the pots in a certain area with the right breakers and all cords had to be on a surge protector for each thing. Had to have lighted signs telling where to get out of the store. Oils were checked to see if flammable. Air conditioner vents, flooring, I can't remember all of the stuff they checked. The fire inspector was the worst. I spent a fortune on stuff to make it safe. So you don't have to worry much about the people that make them in a shop. Depending on the town laws. My insurance was pretty strict too.

IMO there are more people out there who do not know how/or ignore instructions to properly burn a candle. Unfortunately we can not enforce, regulate or certify people who buy and burn our candles. Making us certified or regulated or whatever is just as useless. The only thing that would do is add to our expense and have to pass yet another cost to customers. I am not in favor of any more government in my life than what there is already, thank you very much. :P

Typically, the people who benefit the most from things like this, are the the ones who collect $100, and nobody else.

So a person pays $100--who verifies that the way they measure, or the containers they use to melt their wax in are done according to standard? Inspections are necessary to implement such a plan unless you're operating under an "honesty" policy, which won't be worth the paper it's written on.

Althought this may be an idea candle makers could agree on, the general public won't care about it. The only way I see this coming to fruition is if retailers demanded it, and since they have more than enough candle manufacturers to choose from, I don't think it is likely to matter to them either.

The truth is, until you get into mass production, I think most people see candle making as an art, a craft, and a tradition. People have been making candles for hundreds of years. Why all the sudden should people become certified? People with talent can survive and the others won't.

BAD IDEA!!! I'm tired of having the government sticking their noses in my business and making money doing it! I make little enough as it is without getting big brother involved.

Making sure a candle maker is making safe candles is not going to assure that the idiot burning the candle is doing it safely. Thanks, but NO!!!

So what would be next? The nanny-tit government, as Sliver so eloquently puts it, coming in to my home and telling me how to burn that candle? How far away from the wall to place the candle? How long at a time I may safely burn the candle? On what surface I may safely place the candle? We need far LESS government, not more.

Eh.. I understand where she is coming from. I witnessed the thread in question on another board where the OP and another girl were trying and trying to get through to a moron just how unsafe her practices were.

You can't fix stupid and the nannies won't be able to stop her. Kinda like driver's licenses don't stop uninsured motorists from plowing into people like Vertically Enhanced, lol. If she wants to produce crap, she will continue to do so until she burns her house down.

Problem solved!