And more chunks

CandleLytes

I use CBA Pillar soy and 1239 for the chunks then pour into a cookie sheet. The over pour is my own 60/40 blend of pure soy and believe it or not, IGI1239. That actually happened by accident!!! I meant to use container paraffin but used 1239 by mistake and was about to melt down the 12 candles I had made and my sister told me to light one up anyway to see how it would burn. They burn awesome so I have kept with that formula. Why ruin a good thing, right?

When I put my chunks in the jar I build up the sides first, then fill up the middle. That way the inner chunks push the ones flat up against the jar so they show through better. Then I pour my over pour way low so my colors don't bleed.

They are one of the simpliest candles to make I think.

What a GREAT idea!! Not yer average chunky!!

I'm not a fan of eating cookie dough, but I'd be tempted to spoon that out and put on a cookie sheet and into the oven!! Great job!!:yay:

So, you pour the wax on a cookie sheet, then cut into squares?

You can do it that way, Leisa. Or you can break off chunks of wax and use it that way - depends on the effect you are trying to achieve.

Like candlelytes said, the hard part is making sure the chunks stay close enough to the surface of the glass so that they will show well and not get buried in the overpour. With a translucent overpour, it's not too difficult, but with an opaque one, it's pretty tricky. She did a great job of making me believe that jar is full of chocolate chip cookie dough! :)

Dammit - now I want cookies...:undecided

What is the point of chunk candles? Just for the look or do they burn different?

I think it is more for the looks. I like the looks of them, but I have no desire to make them, seems to just be more time consuming. I've seen them posted on the board before, but never read how they did the chucks till I recently asked. This OP makes some pretty candles, I always lerk her posts, just to see what else shes made.:)

This OP makes some pretty candles, I always lerk her posts, just to see what else shes made.

Thanks. :) Yes, they are for looks. I do both "opague" style chunks candles and translucent. They seem to burn just as other candles do. Sometimes I get funky and combine scents. Like today I am going to make some strawberry banana ones, and rose and and peony to see what they are like.

Dunno about paraffin or parasoy chunkies, but when I make palm wax ones, the glow from inside the shell of the candle is very pretty with the different colored chunks. Even though veggie waxes are pretty opaque, careful placement of the chunks allows them to be very pretty unlit and absolutely gorgeous when illuminated. Reminds me of the semi-opaque stained glass used for lampmaking - becomes totally different when illuminated.

Some folks get used to doing things only one way and it's always nice to see others "pushing the envelope" and demonstrating new twists on old ideas. :)