I don't make pillars but ....

They sure did turn out looking great...can they be burned with tissue on them? Just wondering what the tissue would do as it burned down. Beth

I have zero clue what would happen to a pillar wit the tissue still on em but what the heck, after a few galsses of Pinot why not try it! haha!:laugh2: just have the fire extinguisher handy!

I tried to do that once a couple years ago, you stamp the image on the tissue paper and then heat it onto the candle with a heat gun, the tissue "melts" into the wax. Not a good idea for pillars but I bet the technique would be neat with a hurricane.

It did look neat when I did it.

I have zero clue what would happen to a pillar wit the tissue still on em but what the heck, after a few galsses of Pinot why not try it! haha!:laugh2: just have the fire extinguisher handy!

Sadly, that isn't the way to approach it. As cool as it is, it isn't safe and isn't really funny. I get you were trying to be cute, but there are a lot of newer candlemakers out there who would grab onto the idea and sell them without realizing the potential fire hazard.

What would be super cool is to actually find a way to do it without causing a fire hazard or removing the potential for a hazard from it.

The best way to know is for someone on here to try it and then test burn. I'd love to know how it turns out. There would be unlimited possibilities for design with tissue paper. Of course it has to be safe first, but if it is, then that is danged cool. If anyone does try it, please post.

Soapymomma

I just made 2 pillars with the tissue paper. DH gone with both cameras, so pictures later. I can guarantee this is NOT safe. The whole candle is covered with the tissue paper. I thought maybe just the dye from the paper would remain. NOT. When dh gets home I will take pictures and then test burn in the garage in hopes not to burn down house. I want to know how long it will take before the whole candle catches on fire. It scares me to think how many people will try her idea for gifts and never know how dangerous it is. YIKES!!!!!!!!

Rae

:yay: :yay: To you for testing that candle idea! It may look cool, but if it is unsafe-- then all that coolness goes out the window! Like others, I really thought that the ink might stay on the wax and not the paper. :( The things some people dream up to do and then actually do and promote without even a thought for being safe is amazing!

Thanks for putting out that effort and posting.

Soapymomma

Hey, Soapymomma,

I burned one candle yesterday and only got 5 1/2 hours before I wanted to go to bed. I started the second one this morning and will burn both all day. I tried a tart with the tissue and wax paper

and the papers didn't stay on because of the shape of the tart.

I took the 2 papers that were waxed together and put the fire to it. It went up in a big flame immediately. Until the candles burn all the way out it is safe. Believe me, I will keep them burning all day and I feel sure it will go up in flames. If it doesn't then I still wouldn't make these even for me.

Rae

Here are the 2 I am testing. Yes, I let the one on the left go too long yesterday without trimming wick and got the beautiful

black in it. Oh, well, it's just a test. Couldn't really find tissue paper that I liked either.

Rae

post-8039-139458452464_thumb.jpg

Would you believe no fire yet? This candle is after 14.5 hours of

burning. If you will notice on the top of the candle the wome of the wax has melted away and left the tissue paper still there. It

sure wouldn't take much for a fire. Will burn it another 4 hours until I go to bed. The green checked candle is at 9 hours and the top is also melting and leaving the paper.

Rae

post-8039-139458452474_thumb.jpg

post-8039-139458452476_thumb.jpg

post-8039-139458452478_thumb.jpg

Too bad about it being a fire hazard because they sure do look cool. What kind of wax are you using? It is sort of funny how the paper stays in tact.

That process could probably be used for hurricanes and look really great.

I am all over new and fun ideas, but the wise candlemaker sure does test how safe their creations are before anything else. Thank you so much for posting those test burns.

Soapymomma

You are very welcome, Soapymomma! I used IGI-4625 wax. One of the candles is white and the other is ivory. They smell good and look cool. I'm still burning candles until they catch on fire or I make sure the flame hits the outside. I want to see if

the whole thing goes up in flames or not. No matter what, I will never make these again.

Rae

Final picture. We had to leave tonight to go to store so I decided to take a picture and then blow it out. As you can see right when I snapped the picture the flame broke out. Believe it or not, the flame went out without spreading or me blowing on it. Now we

now without a doubt that this is not a safe candle.

Rae

post-8039-139458452483_thumb.jpg