Different kind of rustic?

SteveinPA

This was a surprise. Not sure what to call this- besides weird. :) Made with 4045H, 2Tbs of stearic/ lb and poured hot (190) into a room temperature mold and it's not scented. Instead of white frosting common with rustics, this has silver frosting which doesn't show too good in the picture.

post-91-139458452331_thumb.jpg

I think it looks really neat! I wonder if you'd be able to do it again or if this just happened by chance.

Thanks. I'll have to try it again sometime. This one was supposed to be plain and smooth, but I like the look of it. I'm thinking the mold was too cool.

Looks like mottling to me lol! It's definitely a gorgeous blue though! Shoot me a pix of a closer surface.

You can essentially fake a rustic look ;) but you didn't mention you used a heat gun, so you have me intrigued.

I was thinking the same thing, like a mottle.....that is a neat trick. LOL! He will prolly never get it to happen again....you know, that is always how it goes.

Julie, I sent you some pictures in a zip file. I didn't use a heat gun on it or any other tricks up my sleeve.:cheesy2: I poured it hot (190) and put it in a water bath about a half hour later. You can see a darker ring at the bottom where the water level was. There was alot of stearic left on the sides and top of the mold when I removed the candle. I'm not sure what happened to get that finish. I certainly wasn't expecting it.

• 4 weeks later...
This isn't fair lol! Think it's the wax or the colorant? Have you tried the colorant with a different wax or different lot?

No, it's probably me. Strange things happen to me alot.:shocked2: I don't think I used that dye with the last case of wax. I'll have to try a different color to see if it happens again. I made three pillars (all on a different day) using the same amount of stearic, same color, and same cooling method, and they all came out with that silver look to them. They burn nice and don't bulge. Maybe I can send the remains of one of them to you for analysis.