Why does everyone cut the soap in huge blocks?

cryptic

huge blocks? my bars are 3" X 2.5" X 0.8" thick.

we MAKE them in logs though - maybe that is what you are thinking of.

Your size is what I would consider "normal" lol.

If you click on the Soap Gallery, you'll see people's soap, when they cut it, they are HUGE rectangles.

I understand that you make them in logs, but I was curious to know as to WHY they cut it like that. I am wondering if it is just for display or just for pictures. Then I wonder if they cut them smaller, because how are you supposed to use the big blocks of soap? :)

You typically are making soap in a large mold (loaf or brownie style) then cut into bar sizes after it sets. It's sort of like slicing bread or a pan of brownies. However, if you have done some really cool swirls and colors in the mold, you want to take pictures of the whole thing before you cut it to pieces.

You typically are making soap in a large mold (loaf or brownie style) then cut into bar sizes after it sets. It's sort of like slicing bread or a pan of brownies. However, if you have done some really cool swirls and colors in the mold, you want to take pictures of the whole thing before you cut it to pieces.

Ahh, thank you...so it is just for the pics :)

I'd bet those are just the way the picture was taken to make a bar look bigger or just the angle.

That is exactly what I was just thinking. Sometimes when I take pictures (cause I stink at photography) the angle makes it look out of shape. I have one picture of my DD where her feet look bigger than the rest of her entire body :cheesy2:

Based on these links, it is like others have said. They just look big in the picture because of the angle, or maybe because there is no frame of reference. For example, if Soapfreak's beautiful Lemon Lavender picture had a dime showing in front of the bars, you would see that they are just normal size bars of soap.

Based on these links, it is like others have said. They just look big in the picture because of the angle, or maybe because there is no frame of reference. For example, if Soapfreak's beautiful Lemon Lavender picture had a dime showing in front of the bars, you would see that they are just normal size bars of soap.

Yeah maybe. In the past, more people had these enormous blocks after they cut their logs. I couldn't find better examples, but I just wanted to ask the question since most of the blocks have a ragged edge on them. The blocks I was used to seeing were about half the size of an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper, which is what I consider huge, and wondered if people use the soap like that, or if the soapmaker, cuts it more to a practical size after taking their pictures.

Yes, those were most likely made with a slab mold. Like a rectangle cake pan size. Then they cut the soap into bars that are typically about 3x2x1. About the same size or slightly larger than a bar of store bought soap.

Right :)

well anyway, the answer is that for the most part we don't cut in huge chunks. tho there are, of course, exceptions = folks who like the look or the feel.

Thanks everyone for your insight and clarification! :)

agreed, those bars in those link are probably actually 3 1/2 x 2 x 1 inch bars, they just look a bit wide.

Mine tend to be smaller than the average here mainly due to the size of the batches I make in my 1kilo mould.

The 1/2 kilo batches are cut into 8 slices, rarely the same weight as I can't cut straight & even....but it all adds to the natural charm.

When I do make a full kilo batch it gets cut into a combination of full size & half size bars.

I've found that the smaller bars sell better where I am so I try to keep a bigger stock of them.

Sally.

Cryptic, I thought it was funny when I saw your post on here because this morning in the shower I was thinking about posting the same question! My DD bought me a bar of handmade soap in a gift shop that we both thought was beautiful and smelled great. But when I took it in the shower, I kept dropping it because it's so big--it's about 4 inches square.

I definitely don't have small hands--people often comment about my long fingers, so I can't imagine how the women with tiny hands could ever use this soap.

I've noticed posts on here by some soap makers that they dislike "tiny" soap and often throw away a bar when it gets to about half size--we could share soap because that's when I usually like the size of the bar!

I make M&P and have a miter box for cutting logs which only has 1/2-inch and 1-inch bar and I don't like either size--the 1-inch is too thick and the 1/2-inch looks skimpy. So I think the 3 x 2.5 x 0.8 inch size someone mentioned on here sounds perfect.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Jane

I think what happened is, they take the picture, and then crop off the edges leaving only the soap. So then when the soap takes up the whole picture, it makes it look bigger than it really is. The camera is probably held pretty close to the soap as well, again making it look bigger. It is like if you take a picture of someone and stand real close and only get their face in the picture. Their face will look very big but it is still a normal sized person's face.