What's selling for you this Christmas?

coconut

I sell only to family and co-workers right now, and economy is bad both places. Last year I sold a dozen gift bags with warmers and tarts. This year only one. Last year I sold few wicked jars (4 oz jj) and this year I have sold a lot of the jelly jars. I think people are giving more gifts, but less expensive ones. Total dollars I think I have sold more this year but still have to total it up.

What has your experience been?

This has been our slowest year-to-date. Sales were still good, but nothing close to what we usually make. We sold lots of soap, lotion, sink fresheners and firestarters. The soy candles did pretty well since we switched to jelly jars. It sure made a difference in cost and the customers seemed really happy with the fact. Also picked up a new local wholesale account for candles and firestarters, as well as being contacted by the owner of the local coffee house. She invited us in to set up for Holiday Memories and has had customers coming in asking if/when we would be back so she wants us to set up a monthly date to come in for the weekend. I'll get my caffeine fix, if nothing else :yay: .

Rena

This is only my second year to sell, but I did more than last year at the same shows although not as much more as I was hoping for.

Sold LOTS of goat milk lotion. Could barely keep up with the demand. In fact I sold out of several varieties but folks at the next show didn't even know since they were new formulations. Soap was steady. Candles were way down. But it seems that everyone selling jewelry added candles to their booths since last years shows.

Surprise seller was a goat milk and lard lotion I made for a Hog Festival but it sold so well I had to keep making it and it sold out at every show and I only made it in 8 oz bottles with pumps and sold it for $200 higher than my regular lotion. Men like it since it sounds manly. "I use lard lotion on my hands. Not some of that fancy female stuff.:laugh2: "

If you are selling your lotion for 200 dollars more... I want the recipe :D

This year has been big on the bath bombs, bath melts, bubble bars, and shower jellies. I have a loyal local following since I carry many items that a big name has but at lower prices :)

Mineral eyeshadow samplers have been doing well too. Not doing as much with the candles right now, but I haven't been marketing them much either since I've been working on a new wax.

I haven't been able to keep up this month! I've completely sold out of soap, had to make lotion 3 times, made lotion bars twice and almost out of lip balms, plus I just sold my last 4" pillar today. And I've sold a ton of gift baskets. Plus selling a ton of our honey and barbeque sauce! It's been great!!! (but I'm tired)

Everything! I've noticed that customers are still buying those more expensive items too. We thought sales would be down this year since our November store sales were down for about a week but, we will close out our books with our show and store sales up considerably from last year. :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Pretty much all I have sold this holiday season are personalized hurricanes and other personalized candles to be used for xmas gifts. I think around here where I am, there is an unlimited supply of pillar and jar candles at numerous stores allover that can offer better prices and prettier packaging/presentation than me. I can't drop my prices though that much, so I think people just look elsewhere for an item that looks pretty much the same but costs less (but may not burn as well;))

We sold everything we could make in the store! I am going in this morning to a very bare store. Reed diffusers, small candles, any body product and a candle gift box sold like crazy. I gave up yesterday and decided to stop trying to fill in the void. We have been very blessed this year in a crappy economy.

I sold the most in 8 oz candles. My sales were comparable to last year--I was suprised! I thought for sure they would be down but I got alot of last minute orders flooding in. So I guess I took the good with the bad! LOL It was crazy. I for one, am glad it is done. Now onto the part I really hate--INVENTORY! :mad:

I have sold pillars, votives, pints, and half pint jars like nuts here and the top 3 scents that have gone this year have been ~ Peaks Pink Sugar,

Sweet Pea and Lovespell. I dont know what it is!! I have sold some Christmas scents but not a whole lot. It has been very different this Season but Im not complaining :wink2:

I have sold pillars, votives, pints, and half pint jars like nuts here and the top 3 scents that have gone this year have been ~ Peaks Pink Sugar,

Sweet Pea and Lovespell. I dont know what it is!! I have sold some Christmas scents but not a whole lot. It has been very different this Season but Im not complaining :wink2:

Isn't that funny? My best seller is Lilac. Go figure.

I have sold many 7 oz tumblers, tart warmer sets (warmer, tarts) and tart refills, as well as some B&B sets. I sold out of everything excpet a few floral type candles.

The most popular scents of the season were both from CS - Cranberry Marmalade and Mistletoe. I personally, preferred Flickers Cran Fig and Citrus Balsam, respectively, but the masses preferred the more traditional take (CS) on those two scents. I actually sold out of Cran Marmalade back at the end of October; If I had an extra 100 candles, I'm sure I would have sold them. The mistletoe lasted me thru the first two weeks of December but I didn't even start putting them out until end of Oct/ beginning of November. I also sold bayberry, Country Christmas (AH) but given the choice, people usually picked CS Mistletoe. This is why cold throw is such an important aspect of candle making. For non christmas scent, the winner hands down was AH's Interlude (Angel). I believe that the name speaks to the holiday time, as well as the scent.

I can't wait to see (January) what scents people get "hooked" on and start requesting. For example, the CS Wildberry Mousse didn't do well (cold throw?) but I believe when people try it they will be hooked. Same with some others. I'm very excited about seeing what happens. The only post Christmas request that I have had so far were for B & B sets - in equal amts- for Angel (AH's Interlude) and Pink Sugar (ICS).

I have learned alot this year. I am not the "typical" customer and my tastes do not run "mainstream". I do not mind making the more mainstream scents, as my daughter loves all of the cinnamon, apple, cranberry type scents, as do my friends. I always try to burn my favorites when people come to my home to pick up orders, this way they get a sense for how they make the house smell. I have also noticed that if you burn a particular scent at your home/ or a candle party, you will probably sell out of that scent, so in some respects, you can control your own inventory.

Eve