Need help in correcting dumb mistake

I was talking on the telephone and making candles and made a big mistake. After the candles cooled, I smelled one and it didn't have any smell. Took me awhile to figure out I had not put the FO in the wax. :sad2: Is there an easy way to melt the wax so I can correct the mistake. With the price of wax I will be very upset if I lose all this wax. I thought about putting the jars in the oven on a low temp -- is this the best way? Thanks for any help. Bet I watch what I am doing next time. Linda

This depends on the type equipment you have. The oven will work just fine. A temperature of 200 degrees should work.

I also use an electric hot plate to heat my jars, and I put candles that need remelted on there for an hour or so. A heat gun will also work, but it takes a while, and you'll have to pour out the wax a little at a time as it melts.

Fredron

depending on your wax... I take a butter knife and cut the wax in the container in 1/4's... then I can get it all out leaving the wick in place. Then I just put all the wax back into a pour pot and use the double boiler method. It seems to be the quickest if you have more than a couple to do.

HTH

Try putting containers in water and heating above MP of the wax. Cool water and pick the wax off of the top of the water. The containers will be as good as new with no oily residue. Start back where you messed up! This is my secret, please don't tell anyone!

Try putting containers in water and heating above MP of the wax. Cool water and pick the wax off of the top of the water. The containers will be as good as new with no oily residue. Start back where you messed up! This is my secret, please don't tell anyone!

Ok not sure if I am understanding this correctly but if I am and you are meaning submerging the jar in really hot water and then letting the wax melt and rise to the top of the water how are you not getting water in the wax when it solidifies?

Ok not sure if I am understanding this correctly but if I am and you are meaning submerging the jar in really hot water and then letting the wax melt and rise to the top of the water how are you not getting water in the wax when it solidifies?

I think she means to use this method in order to clean the jars to look like new. You would still want to get the majority of wax out of the jar by heating in the oven before submerging the jar in boiling water to clean it up.

That would be good if you botched the color. But if all you need to do is add scent, then melt it in the oven. Scent it in a pouring pot. When you pour it back into the jar the scented wax should be warm enough to melt and combine with any residual unscented wax left in the jar.

P.S. I've poured wax after forgetting to add the scent before. You're not alone.

I would go with the oven preheat oven to 200 put the containers on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels and as soon as they melt enough to pour them out of the jar put back in pour pot reheat to your temp ADD SCENT and repour at whatever temp you use ask Stella now you have tempered your wax:laugh2: which really does make the best burning candle NO joke. please do not ask how I learned all of this :D I plead the 5th :yay:

If you are simply going to repour into the same jars, here is what I do.

I have a candle warmer that I use for this. I set the jar on the warmer and when it melts I pour back into the pour pot. When I get all of them done I melt and add fragrance and pour.

Kind of time consuming, but I do this while I work on other stuff.

• 1 month later...