Wow... I think I'm really gonna have to narrow things down a bit

blwoods

During all this prepping and planning for this next years craft shows... I realized that if I am going to actually start doing shows, I'm really going to have to cut back on some of my offerings. Either that, or get 3 or 4 spots in each show LOL

Here is what I currently have... all I have to do now is figure out what goes and what stays (for the shows, I will still keep making things for my fundraisers and such)

Wickless Jars:

3oz

6.5oz

8oz

Clamshells

Soy Candles:

9oz Hex

2oz Tin

4oz Tin

8oz Tin

I have 60 different scents for the candles.

Bath and Body wise I have about 8 different kinds of soap, lotion, body butter, sugar scrubs, lip balm, bath bombs, bath melts, shower gel, shower jellies, massage bars, solid perfume

I also have mineral cosmetics, but its a given that I won't bring those to craft shows... I already take them to expo's.

Ugh.. decisions decisions!!

You will be surprised how much you can fit in one of those tiny spaces.

I use tables and bookcases.

This is just my opinion but...I like to see a fully stocked booth...even before I ever poured candles...in 2001. If a table/display looked empty I never stopped.

I don't like to see empty spaces either. I saw that at a show and no one stopped to buy. The lady waas across from me and I helped her with some ideas. Next day she left since she sold very few.

I also use bookcases and tables but want to come up with something different after 5 years. I do have a few crates I like.

LynnS

Bookcases are great, I use those 5 tier dvd shelves on top of tables. You can fit SO much more stuff that way. At least bring some more of your scents that you cant fit on the table and store them under the table and put a sign out saying you also have those scents in stock. Or put together a small case of sample scents you couldn't bring along and a brochure to order those scents from. Good luck on your future shows! :)

I have cut down on doing shows, but if you find an inexpensive baker's rack, it worked really well at shows for me. I also bought some folding bookshelves at Joann's a few years ago that sit on the table top.

A full table, and a decorated table tend to draw a lot more sales for me.

I'm getting quite a few of those three step cardboard risers, and covering them in the same color velvet as my tablecloths. I'm going to see just how much stuff I can fit on there once it warms up a little outside (house is just too small to set up inside.. I REALLY miss having a basement). I will post pictures and see if it looks too cluttered or not.

Thanks! I fear I may have to buy a box truck to go to shows LOL.

We have a cargo trailer and for warmers etc I leave them in there.Of course candles, tarts and the rest of my products must be brought in.Those trailers are great to have and we paid $2500 about 5 years ago.I think they are still about the same in price. Ours isn't small. Just the right size.There are smaller trailers though.

These are great to have for shows, hauling and for storing some things till you have another show.I have also cut down on shows. Had more sales on -line but now slowing down on those. Hope next year picks up because I still want to do less shows and more on-line.

My 2 wholesalers arent ordering a second time and feel candle sales are down. One does soap and I am sure she is pushing her soap more.She sells gobs of that from what she said. More reasonable in cost too.

LynnS

• 2 weeks later...

I went down to two sizes (8 oz & 16 oz) and dropped the flameless candles altogether from my line. They just didn't sell well for me. It makes my life a little easier now. The part I am wrestling with now is cutting my scent list down. I have way too many, and some scents haven't even sold in months! I had nearly a hundred, whittled it down to 85, then whittled it down to 65....but I've even had people tell me that is too many and they just can't decide. I'm going to try fifty but I may even whittle that down more.

I must say that when I am doing shows, I only take about a dozen to two dozen different scents. It just makes life easier for me. I will then tell them I offer many more scents on my website and offer them a business card. HTH

We cut our fragrances down to 15 several years ago,, plus we offer 5 seasonal fragrances along with those, so 20 FO's in all for shows. We found our customers spent wayyyyyy to much time sniffing and trying to decide what to buy..... it was plugging up the flow of traffic in our booth.

We found some great shelfs/bookcases at yard sales really cheap. They have worked very well for us. Plus, since we picked them up at different yard sales, it gives us a very unique and eclectic look. For example, we have a pastel pink/pastel blue/pastel yellow book shelf that we are able to coordinate with the different candle and bath & body supplies. Plus it draws attention to our booth. We always have a wide age range of customers that not only stop by but also buy from us. Another suggestion would be to get from portable drawers that you could keep under your table so that you could restock easily as certain candles sell out. We never have problems setting up and we never run out of candles.