shipping costs .... oh my god!

Lyndsay

I am buying some supplies for my new hobby (or should I say addiction?!) but I already want to quit because of the shipping costs!!! I havent paid yet...but I want $75 worth of stuff, but they are asking $34.00 for shipping!!! And thats the cheapest option!!!!! Does anyone know if we can get this stuff locally??

in my experience, I only buy locally if I really mess up and forget to order something, or get a big, rush order. Local prices for me are always higher than what I pay online, even with adding shipping!

Re-evaluate what you're buying ... can you do without 1 or 2 things to start, can you buy a larger volume and split it with someone, or can you just start with the very basic and buy bulk?

In my case, buying local isn't as cheap as buying a boat of oils. When I figure my costs as a whole, broken down to the ounce, it's cheaper to have it shipped.

Keep in mind, you're having them send heavier stuff (guessing that's oils and depends on where you bought from and in what amount.)

Hi yyall! Ok Im rocking my 3 month old to sleep so excuse the typos!

I live in Katy (Houston) Tx.

I already bought stuff to make soaps...the "basics" atleast. Now, this is my order. From Brambleberry.com

Soap ROPE

Hot Pink-ROPE14 $ 1.00$ 1.00

Dry Flo (1lb) DRYFLO 1 lb. $ 7.77$ 7.77

Citric Acid - CA 1pound $ 2.25$ 2.25

Bentonite Clay 16 oz. PIG25 1 lb. $ 4.80$ 4.80

Coconut Oil - OIL01 7 lbs. $ 12.96$ 12.96

(1 lb) White Beeswax WAX07 1 lb $ 7.00$ 7.00

Vitamin E - OIL13 1 oz. $ 3.00$ 3.00

Sweet Almond Oil - 16oz - OIL2 16 oz. $ 3.75$ 3.75

Palm Kernel Flakes - 2lbs - OIL39 2lbs $ 4.00$ 4.00

Hemp Oil UNREFINED - OIL30 16 oz. $ 8.50$ 8.50

Avocado Oil - OIL11 16 oz. $ 6.53$ 6.53

Aloe Vera Liquid 16 oz., ALOE01 16 oz.$ 6.10$

Sub Total: $ 67.66 shipping $32.79

Then .... for lotions. My dh told his mother that I make lotion (and I dont!!) for xmas, so now I have to learn to make some! I want to anyways, bc I use a TON of lotion, plus Id like to sell it.

Lotioncrafter.com

1. DM350 Dimethicone

Selected options:

Size: 1 lb - $7.50

$7.50 x = $7.50

t_16185.jpg

2. Disodium EDTA

EDTA, Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid

Selected options:

Size: 1 lb - $8.00

$8.00 x = $8.00

t_16190.jpg

3. Polawax - Emulsifying Wax NF

Selected options:

Size: 1 lb - $6.00

$6.00 x = $6.00

4. Stearic Acid NF

Selected options:

Quantity: 1 lb - $2.85

$2.85 x = $2.85

5. Lotioncrafter IPM

Isopropyl Myristate (IPM)

Selected options:

Size: 8 fl oz - $4.50

$4.50 x = $4.50

6. Rice Bran Oil

Selected options:

Size: 30 oz - $6.95

$6.95 x = $6.95

7. Vitamin E Acetate

Alpha tocopheryl acetate or Vitamin E Acetate is the stable form of Vitamin E most often used in cosmetic formulations for its skin care benefits.

Selected options:

Size: 2 oz - $9.95

$9.95 x = $9.95

t_16295.jpg

8. Silk Amino Acids

Hydrolyzed from pure silk fibers, silk amino acids have a lower molecular weight than silk protein powders and are penetrating and moisturizing to skin and hair. Our Silk Amino Acids have been decolorized and deodorized -- making them an exceptional addition to even the most delicate of formulations. Recommended for formulating shampoos, conditioner, hair treatments, bodywash, body lotions, cleansers, toners and facial moisturizers, mascara, lipstick and color cosmetics.

Selected options:

Size: 2 oz - $ 6.50

$6.50 x = $6.50

t_16171.jpg

9. LiquaPar Optima

Broad spectrum liquid preservative system that can be used in a wide variety of cosmetic formulations. Stable, non-volatile, non-irritating, and non-sensitizing at recommended levels, it can be used effectively in aqueous, anhydrous and emulsion-type skin and hair care products.

Selected options:

Size: 4.5 oz: $8.95

$8.95 x = $8.95

t_16214.jpg

10. LC8515 Cyclomethicone

Cyclomethicones are cyclic (circular) silicones of low molecular weight that evaporate quickly. Their volatility, excellent spreading and lubrication make them ideal carriers for other ingredients and excellent light conditioners for hair and skin. Note: This product cannot ship via Priority Mail or International Mail, due to its low flashpoint. Regardless of the shipping method you choose at checkout, your order will ship via UPS (domestic or international).

Selected options:

Size: 1 lb - $7.75

$7.75 x = $7.75

t_16169.jpg

11. Liquid Germall Plus Liquid Germall® Plus is a combination of Diazolidinyl Urea and Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate solubilized in Propylene Glycol. It is a water soluble, broad spectrum, non-paraben antimicrobial with enhanced efficacy at low levels. Approved for use in leave-on and rinse-off applications.

Selected options:

Size: 5 oz: $6.25

$6.25 x = $6.25

Subtotal:

null.gif

$84.05Points Discount:null.gif

$0.00Shipping:null.gif

n/aspacer_black.gif

Total:null.gif

$84.05

If you can afford to buy the oils by the gallon I would say Columbus Foods Soaper Choice is your best bet.

I buy atleast 5 gallons of oils which is 49 pounds of oils and my shipping is about $18.00 to Alabama and you get super fast shipping too.

Let me see if I can get the website for you and post it!!

Here is the website for Columbus Foods Soapers Choice!!

http://www.soaperschoice.com/cgi-soaperschoice/Web_store/web_store.cgi?query_price_low_range=0&cart_id=$cart_id

Barbara AL

Just so yall know.. this would complete all the ingredients I need for soap, body scrubs and bath salts (aside from dead sea salt...which I dont wana paythe shipping for either!)

As for the lotion, any recommendations would be appreciated. Is this good stuff to order? Do I need less? more? help w/ recipes pls!

Just so yall know.. this would complete all the ingredients I need for soap, body scrubs and bath salts (aside from dead sea salt...which I dont wana paythe shipping for either!)

As for the lotion, any recommendations would be appreciated. Is this good stuff to order? Do I need less? more? help w/ recipes pls!

This is just my opinion, but if you are wanting to turn out a good batch of lotion for Christmas, you might just consider ordering a lotion base that only needs fragrance added.. just pour it in a bottle, label it and TaDa! It took me a good while to get a recipe for homemade lotion that I truely loved, and that was after tweaking it many times to get it perfect for what I wanted.. it was quite a process for me. I'm not saying you won't get lucky though and get a good batch your first time, but Christmas isn't very far away now..

Just a thought.

you really plan on figuring out how to make a good, stable lotion by Christmas when you haven't made any yet? wow, you are brave. I've found it's not a simple feat (and my first few batches were not pretty a few weeks after I made them)

ETA: prarie beat me to it - I agree that you might want to start with a base for Christmas and give yourself time to mess about.

thats a good thought...the only thing is she has diabetes and supposedly cant put certain things on her lotion....? she is going to get back to me on that. The base would be much easier for now.

thx for yalls responses.

care to share ur great lotion recipes?m:tongue2:

Well IMO Brambleberry has the HIGHEST shipping of any of my suppliers. I have stopped ordering from them because of the HIGH shipping and I am in AZ!!!!

I would look for suppliers closer...there are quite a few in Texas and the East Coast.

There is a sticky at the top of one of the pages that has supplier by state look at that and see who is close.

Also I agree with the others....you cannot come up with a good lotion before Christmas. Just search "bases" here and research and find a good base to buy. Someone offered to sell you a gal form Bittercreek I would go with that.

JMO

tootie

Have you looked at Bitter Creek South? They're within easy driving distance to you in Stafford. For NaOH, some oils and bath salts, check out AAA-Chemicals in Houston. There's also Texas Natural Supply in Austin. Taylored Concepts, Lone Star and AAA Candle Supply are all in Dallas. Supplies by Star is in Benbrook, TX. And Starrville is in Tyler. I'm sure there are several more that aren't coming to mind right away. You can also refer to the Suppliers by State list.

If you plan on selling, make sure you have insurance in place before you sell - you should have it regardless but especially if you make your own lotion. It's also best to have your handmade lotion tested to make sure your preservatives are holding and you've sterilized properly. Like CB, I've seen some I've made before go bad a few weeks after I made them. Thankfully, they were just testers. There are some great bases out there too.

You all are so much help. as for the lotion...I will go for the base, they are good, right?

Jeff, I just bought some molds....but do you have pics?

Thanks for all the local stores...Im going to xheck them out if I can ever get my baby to sleep again!!!!

thx soooooooooooooooooo much!

People are being a lot nicer than I would be. You want to not only get the supplies which, we'll say Friday if you paid out the wazoo for 2 day shipping or organizing a drive somehow with the little one, you want to hand them out 6 days later, with zero experience, preference or anything? And I will risk my pinky toe you don't have insurance yet either.

Just because it's a base, doesn't mean whatever FO you use will just perk right into it. I've had a few turn funky after a week or two and that's WITH a base. (The smell, not moldy, just FO combo.) I certainly wouldn't be thrilled if I got a Sweet Pea lotion that ended up smelling like farts by the time I got it home and tried it out. Not all bases are created equal. Not all bases come with preservatives, not all bases come ready to make, and not all bases come completely unscented (in fact, I've yet to get a base sample that didn't have at least some sort of smell to cover).

Per your own admittance, you are WAY to new. You shouldn't be giving ANYTHING out for gifts right now. Per your own admittance, you don't even have the basics started.

Think about long term, if you plan on selling someday, do you want a crappy product out there floating around? First impressions are what they are. If I got an icky lotion, I don't care what you said, I wouldn't pay for it or want it as a gift ever again.

To add on several hundred dollars insurance on top of it (a base doesn't always equal safe if you change the properties, like adding FO), and I'll be blunt and say - you are NOT ready.

And I'll also tell you, I'm not sunshiney - I'm blunt, what I've said isn't meant to hurt your feelings but to make you REALLY think about what you are getting into. This isn't a wood carving hobby where if you screw up, you can see it right away, and you know about all different kinds of woods already.