when making melts...

felixncharlie

I use both too....I just got my first 2 silicone molds....They are a bugger to get out of the molds...I just have to learn to master it.....With the plastic molds they are not as thick as the silicone....I love the plastic and so cheap and they just fall out of the trays for me........But I do like the silicone too...but VERY expensive..

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my list of pros and cons....

Plastic is easy to collect a variety of shapes, they are often cheaper and more sturdy when moved if wax is in a soft state. And if you are short of time and want to rush them out of the mold it is more difficult, but given proper cure time they will THEN come out easier. It can be easy to damage the plastic molds by trying to force them out, or even by improper storage. Eventually the plastic molds get brittle, and they are often not deep enough if it is actually a candy mold. Good for embeds of some sorts. But the bigger actual soap molds that are plastic are fine of course... but you almost have to fill every cavity so as to prevent any tilt or lean in the flat surface of the soap because they need to be balanced. They don't work well for one test bar/tart here or there.

If you are impatient or don't have a lot of room you might find yourself trying to move them around before they are done.. this is nearly impossible to do with the flexible silicone molds. It sometimes takes more silicone molds to make the same number of candy mold tarts, so that is a cost increase as well. Plastic molds seem to help the tarts cool faster but again, that's usually because of the dept of wax you are able to pour into them.

I prefer the silicone molds purely for reasons of removal- but I wouldn't refuse to use a plastic one if it suit my purpose either. And I don't spray my molds with anything because I don't want it on my tarts, lol.