WTH is wrong with these bath bombs???

RNSandSCENTS

I have made about 10 batches of bath bombs, I have had a few crack and for the most part I'd say those batches were about 95% successful with only a few to crack. It was usually the last ones into the mold that dried out and had to use more witch hazel and they either reacted or cracked.

Anyhoo, its been raining here for about 3 days now. Now I will admit, I was running my mouth about the Deadskins game last week and I did add about an 1/8 c too much baking soda.....I put these things in the molds, and left them overnight. This morning they are gooey, and why in the heck are they rising? Like muffins :laugh2: I was like ok now I know thats not how I left them so of course I go back over and smush them down, go away 5 minutes comeback and they are bigger than they were when I came down this morning......and gooeyer (sp?). Do you think its the baking soda....or maybe too much witch hazel because I can barely see any citric acid? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Side note: I did unmold a couple and tried adding more corn starch & kaolin clay and they are still mushy....:laugh2:

sounds like they sucked the moisture out of the air and decided to grow and grow and grow.

When thats happened to me, I usually dont try to fix it, just sorta toss it all back together and let the kids use it in their bath.

Well, it looks like I will have some sort of weird, gooey bath stuff for myself then...they are pink sugar scented....and they smell lovely, too lovely to throw away. I am going to try one more batch today and try not to add the witch hazel and see if they hold together if not, then I'll just have to wait until things dry out before I make anymore....thanks for the reply!:yay:

I've had that happen to me one time. I did Hey Sugar from Daystar (it's like a lemony pink sugar) and I swear, they looked like muffins rising. I would squish them down, only to come back minutes later, and they would rise more. They smelled like lemony, sugary muffins. lol I trashed them. I didn't use witch hazel like you though, I used alcohol to spritz my mix.

To this day, I still don't know WHY. But of course, I can't make a decent, pretty looking bath bomb to save my life.

That's why I tweaked Bunny's Bath Melt recipe to make it feel like a bath bomb. So no more messing with regular bath bombs! lol

I've had that happen to me one time. I did Hey Sugar from Daystar (it's like a lemony pink sugar) and I swear, they looked like muffins rising. I would squish them down, only to come back minutes later, and they would rise more. They smelled like lemony, sugary muffins. lol I trashed them. I didn't use witch hazel like you though, I used alcohol to spritz my mix.

To this day, I still don't know WHY. But of course, I can't make a decent, pretty looking bath bomb to save my life.

That's why I tweaked Bunny's Bath Melt recipe to make it feel like a bath bomb. So no more messing with regular bath bombs! lol

I am soooo glad this has happened to someone else! OMG! :laugh2: I was doing so well up to this point. I do think its the environment...oh well....back to the drawing board!

Well, it looks like I will have some sort of weird, gooey bath stuff for myself then...they are pink sugar scented....and they smell lovely, too lovely to throw away. I am going to try one more batch today and try not to add the witch hazel and see if they hold together if not, then I'll just have to wait until things dry out before I make anymore....thanks for the reply!:yay:
they most likely be all fizzed out - but the'll scent your bath anyway.

I don't recommend making bath bombs in high humidity - even if you leave the witch hazel out they'll still pull moisture from the air. Been there. Done that.

they most likely be all fizzed out - but the'll scent your bath anyway.

I don't recommend making bath bombs in high humidity - even if you leave the witch hazel out they'll still pull moisture from the air. Been there. Done that.

I was just getting ready to post that yup it didn't work....still too soft. My first 10 batches must have been flukes:laugh2: or freaks of nature:confused: Oh well, it was fun while it lasted!

Definitely heavy trigger finger. I don't make them on days that threaten to be humid because I have watched them grow and grow and grow. The first time I saw it I said, WTF!

I think that was part of it too. I was working with the kids this time and I probably did spray too much witch hazel. But man those things got BIG! And the more you pressed them the bigger they grew....the kids thought it was awesome!:laugh2:

Don't trash them...break the mixture up into the finest powder you can. Spread out on a paper lined cookie sheet and let dry completely. If still not powdery enough, pulverize them in a sanitized food processor. Bag em and tag em as Fizzie Bath Powder. There is a company that sells these in jars and calls them Blasted Bombs.

Basic rule of thumb is, don't make these when the weather is humid and add your liquids sparingly until you get the consistency you need for these to hold together. Once they start to react, there is no going back!

Don't trash them...break the mixture up into the finest powder you can. Spread out on a paper lined cookie sheet and let dry completely. If still not powdery enough, pulverize them in a sanitized food processor. Bag em and tag em as Fizzie Bath Powder. There is a company that sells these in jars and calls them Blasted Bombs.

Basic rule of thumb is, don't make these when the weather is humid and add your liquids sparingly until you get the consistency you need for these to hold together. Once they start to react, there is no going back!

I did just that with the rest of them that I made. They would not set up either. The first batch was a lost cause. They were sticky as all get out! My little muffins were a gooey mess and they just kept growing. But now I know, don't make these when its raining!:yay: And probably not in the summer time either...:laugh2:

that works for stuff that hasn't already reacted. if they bombs grew then they've already had their fun - at least for the most part.

• 12 years later...
On 12/12/2008 at 8:29 AM, RNSandSCENTS said:

I am soooo glad this has happened to someone else! OMG! :laugh2: I was doing so well up to this point. I do think its the environment...oh well....back to the drawing board!

No way are you alone! I made roses scented roses, they smell amazing but look like spikey rock muffins!! And we live in SC so humid is our constant state of weather 🤣

1617710390887597019687958209351.jpg

• Shocked 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2008 at 5:31 AM, RNSandSCENTS said:

I have made about 10 batches of bath bombs, I have had a few crack and for the most part I'd say those batches were about 95% successful with only a few to crack. It was usually the last ones into the mold that dried out and had to use more witch hazel and they either reacted or cracked.

Anyhoo, its been raining here for about 3 days now. Now I will admit, I was running my mouth about the Deadskins game last week and I did add about an 1/8 c too much baking soda.....I put these things in the molds, and left them overnight. This morning they are gooey, and why in the heck are they rising? Like muffins :laugh2: I was like ok now I know thats not how I left them so of course I go back over and smush them down, go away 5 minutes comeback and they are bigger than they were when I came down this morning......and gooeyer (sp?). Do you think its the baking soda....or maybe too much witch hazel because I can barely see any citric acid? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Side note: I did unmold a couple and tried adding more corn starch & kaolin clay and they are still mushy....:laugh2:

It was probably the witch hazel,  I avoid using it as much as I can.  And if it was raining the humidity will affect them too.  I always check the weather before I make mine.  I swear they a re weather contingent.  If you put any epson salt on them even as decoration on the top, they will also suck the moisture and crack.  At least this is my personal experience.

As an option when your bath bombs go wild, I pack them in cute bags.  I personally make embeds for my bombs, so I add an embed, and maybe some colored epson salt, or little flower buds, or chamomile and pack them in a bag, like in this picture.

IMG_20210727_225612.jpg