What the heck happened to my soap?

scrochet

This is the same basic recipe that i normally use with the addition of almond meal (1 cup to 39 oz of oil).

Oils I Used

Olive

Palm

Palm kernel flakes

Coconut

Shea Butter

Cocoa Butter

Rice Bran

Castor

50% hard oils-50% soft oils

I have had trouble in the past getting a full gel so i decided to used the cpop method to force gel (i use cpop with my salt bars with much success). Everthing looked normal until i peaked in the oven and the horror! I had approx. 1/8 inch of oil sitting on top of my soap, not to metioned the oil leaking out of the sides. It has been about 24 hours and the oil has absorbed back into the oil. It is still oily to the touch.

If anyone has insight into what happened I would welcome the feedback. Thanks

You might be able to rebatch it. Try and see how it goes. The worst that could happen is you have to toss it. Personally, I'd toss it.

Could your lye amounts have been off? Did you use any other additives other than the almond meal? I cup of almond meal to 39 oz of oil seems like a lot - unless you wanted a superdooper scrubbie sand paper soap. When using scrubbies in soaps, it does not take much.

It probably overheated a bit. I would give it a few more days and then if it's still oily and it hasn't completely sunk in, then I would try to rebatch. If rebatching doesn't work then I'd toss it, but usually I have found that time will heal the oilyness, it sinks back in and is fine...

I used soapcalc for lye amounts. I just cut a piece off and washed my hands, its not as oily inside and it lathers quite nicely. I also checked the ph and it is 8. Is it possible that i used too much oil?

Oh! if there is anyone with suggestions on rebathing please help.

I have tried rebatching with more failures than successes.

You should get a really nice rebatch from that. I just had recipe turn out super oily like that, I rebatched it, and it is really nice. Having it that oily really helps in the rebatching process.

I used the oven bag method. I grated it first, put it into the bag, rubber band the top well so water and steam doesn't get inside the bag. Put the bag in a deep pot, cover it, and let it boil. Covering it helps it to melt the top part too. This was the first time I covered it and it worked much faster and better. Take it out and squish it around a couple times while it is melting. When it is all melted, clip a corner of the bag and squeeze it into your mold.

HTH:)

I used soapcalc for lye amounts. I just cut a piece off and washed my hands, its not as oily inside and it lathers quite nicely. I also checked the ph and it is 8. Is it possible that i used too much oil?

Oh! if there is anyone with suggestions on rebathing please help.

I have tried rebatching with more failures than successes.

that is a LOT of almonds - typically it's about a tablespoon per pound of oils. For your ~2.5 lbs of soap that would be 2.5 tbsp oz and you used 16. If it wasn't pretty much "degreased" almond meal it might have contributed significant oil to the mix.

Crud...that stinks doesn't it? I just had that happen to me a month ago. Put a batch in the oven, went and made dinner, sat down to eat then watch TV...hours later it dawned on me...OMG my soap!!! Over an inch of oil sitting on top. I dumped it into a pan, scraped the rest out of the mold and cooked it. I think I saved it, it tested out OK after the cure. Such a dunce, I never do that!