What wax do you use for your votives?

What wax do you use for your votives?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What wax do you use for your votives?

• Votive wax
    • Pillar wax

I use peak pre-blend pillar MP 145 and I use the 44-24-18z wick,,,they burn great. I also use IGI-4625 with the same wick.always put them in a votive holder when you burn it. I never use container wax for votives as container wax is to soft for a votive.

I also like the fact I can make my pillars, votives and tarts with one wax instead of having different waxes all the time. JMHO:grin2:

I'm glad yiou are asking this because i was wondering about this. Is is okay to use container wax for my votives? If so, do I use the same wick?

Container wax is so soft you wouldn't be able able to get it out of the votive mold. Unless you are pouring it directly into the votive holder. You'll have to test for wick size. I use paper core for my votives

I couldn't vote in this poll...I use chevron 143 with an epolene additive.

The wax I use now for my votives is Genwax 128 votive/container wax. It works great for votives. I have not done containers yet. I don't know where my brain was when I asked the question, but my question should have been can I use pillar wax for my votives? Sorry about that. I would rather not have to buy wax especially for votives and be able to buy one wax for both pillars and votives. My other question was if I can use pillar wax for votives, will the same wick that I'm now using for the votive still work with the pillar wax? The wick I'm using is pre-tabbed votive wicks 36-24-24 cotton core waxed. TIA

I just use the Yaley Premium wax with melting point of around 145 (just use the 40% off coupons from Michael's). I also use the 44-28-18 (or something like that) zinc-core wicks, but was told to get 34-40 SP zinc since the 44's are causing lots of mushrooming.

I once got some IGI non-shrink votive wax, but it threw my timing way off. Besides, I like stuff that enhances mottling.

my question should have been can I use pillar wax for my votives?
Yes, you can.
My other question was if I can use pillar wax for votives, will the same wick that I'm now using for the votive still work with the pillar wax? The wick I'm using is pre-tabbed votive wicks 36-24-24 cotton core waxed.
It's likely you'll have to go up one size, to 44-24-18.

LOL, your poll doesn't include the possibility of using straight paraffin.

Exactly.. Not that I use straigt paraffin only, but it doesn't give you an option of both, or mixed. Which sometimes I use votive wax 4794, sometimes I use Peaks votive blend, and sometimes I use Peaks pillar blend and sometimes I use a mix of 1-2 or up to 3 different waxes.. Just depends on my mood at the time and what I'm going for as far as looks.. :) And whether they are for just my reg. retail sales, or if they are a special order from a family member or so on and so on..

And I meant to add, that even if using a pillar wax, votives still need to be burned in a votive container.. No votive should be burned as a freestanding candle.

LOL, your poll doesn't include the possibility of using straight paraffin.
LOL, sorry - didn't mean to exclude some of you. Was just trying to see how many use pillar wax. Sigh, my instructions are big and prominent - they are placed where most people put their logo/label. They are not in the 'fine print' at the bottom which I see on most commercial candles. Short of going to their house to supervise, I don't know how to make them be more obedient. I am aware that using pillar wax isn't going to make it work on a plate, was just thinking of a way to make it slightly more idiot proof. Thank you to those who voted and responded!

I think I know what your talking about. I sold some votives to two girls at work. One of them came back and said she loved them and bought some more. She also told me the other girl that bought from me came in when I wasnt there and said hers burned down into nothing but a pancake in about 30 min. Well, that only tells me one thing. She put them on a plate, lit them and let them go. Even tho there are proper burning instructions on them ppl just dont read. I use IGI 4794 and I love that wax, but have thought of using pillar wax just to make them a little more idiot proof.

Exactly.. Not that I use straigt paraffin only, but it doesn't give you an option of both, or mixed. Which sometimes I use votive wax 4794, sometimes I use Peaks votive blend, and sometimes I use Peaks pillar blend and sometimes I use a mix of 1-2 or up to 3 different waxes.. Just depends on my mood at the time and what I'm going for as far as looks.. :) And whether they are for just my reg. retail sales, or if they are a special order from a family member or so on and so on..

And I meant to add, that even if using a pillar wax, votives still need to be burned in a votive container.. No votive should be burned as a freestanding candle.

I agree. Regardless of whether you use a votive wax, pillar or even container wax, they have to be burned in a tight fitting votive holder.

I've used container wax to make votives and they came out of the molds, but not all container waxes will. I've also found that KY125 soy container wax comes out of votive molds if you put them in the fridge for a couple of minutes after they are completely cold :).

I use a pillar wax about 80% of the time. 10% of the time I use a straight paraffin with additives, the other 10% of the time I use a votive wax (4794).

DanaE

I use 1353 & 941. The only way to guarantee people will burn them properly, is to NOT offer them, lol. Most people have no clue how to burn candles. All you can do is put the instructions for burning in an obvious place & hope they have the brains to read them. When I test burn anything, I test burn for the 'moron' that will buy it.

Pam R