Another "mint" to keep the spiders away...

leisa2003

This may seem weird, but I suffer from arachnephobia. Every fall and spring, I have sprayed around the base boards, and in my basement to keep spiders away.:embarasse

My mother suffered from this same thing, and she always used a gallon of lemon juice for this.*faint*

I dont like chemicals, and the last 2 years I used peppermint FO diluted with water in a squirt bottle. Its worked well, but I am getting tired of the house smelling of peppermint.

Anyone have any ideas of some other "minty" smells I could try. Thought about Spearmint, but thought it may not be strong enough.

Thanks for any suggestions

Not entirely sure, but what about spraying it on the outside of the house, where the foundation meets the outside wall and around windows. Maybe in the attic also, this might stop them from coming in the bottom, top and side. Oh, I'd get around the door frames also. That way your house would not have as strong a mint smell.

This may not work at all, but I thought Id throw it out there. And why use FO and not EO?

I had no idea! This is great info! Spiders scare the bajeebees outa me! :shocked2:

Soooooo, do you spray it around the baseboards?...anywhere else?

I actually spray it around the baseboards inside the whole house, and especially in the bottom cupboards.

Then we have the older style concrete slab type walls in my basement. Which is just for storage, so I just squirt the heck out of the walls and ledges.

It may work outside, I just thought it may wash away with the snow and rain.:confused:

I use FO,...cause I only use that for my candles and soaps, so its just what I've had on hand, and less exspensive.

Oh!!! I've seen some horrible pictures of one of my neighbors who had gotten bitten by a Brown Recluse Spider, it started out looking just like a mosquito bite, and it ended up where he lost his finger from the infection....it was the worst thing I had ever seen. He was in bed when he got bit, so I always make sure everything is out from under my bed, and I spray my carpet under my bed with this, and around the baseboards in my room.

Well get some mint and eucalyptus and combine them for a different whiff.

Yeah, I think I will try this. Eucalyptus also helps with colds. :highfive:

I really dont care for the smell of tea tree oil, but that may be a good one for outside. I actually have a big bottle of EO in this that I've not used.

THANKS!

I made a spray of Eo's, because they are the only thing that will work. They irritate the bugs preventing them from anaerobically breathing. Spearmint, peppermint and lavender oils combined in MC's body spray base. MC's works the best because it is silicone based and leaves a residue where you spray it. I then spray all my trim, windows and baseboards. I know it works because I sprayed a spider dead on and he died! It makes a great mosquito repellant too, and is skin safe.

I just got Lemon Eucalyptus in maybe buy some of that it's suppose to chase away bugs so maybe it will chase away the nasty spiders we get in our house too. If you want a more lighter mint try cornmint or you can try a bug eo blend. I've had good luck chasing bugs away around the house with some neem oil & garlic oil in water in a spray bottle too.

• 10 months later...

I've used peppermint FO in my kitchen cabinets for years to keep bugs out of my flour, but I'm out and not making an order from any FO supplier anytime soon. Are there any other food type FOs I can use in the kitchen? I don't mind the peppermint smell everywhere, but I don't think I could handle eucalyptus in the kitchen.

Do bay leaves (not FO) work against bugs in general, or is that just for ants?