Tarts vs. Clamshells

dirtybirdsoaps

which do you prefer?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. which do you prefer?

• tarts
    • clamshells

I like tarts myself I never made the clamshells, but have got many as gifts or in swaps and they are always so messy and crumbly.

Sorry to hear they are messy & crumbly. Mine break off into nice squares each & every time. Maybe it's the wax choice.

I never sold many tarts because they swere such a pain to package. Tried paraffin in tart molds, silicone molds, container wax in the foil cups - nothing was right. Then I started the clamshells. They didn't sell much better but I just kept at it. Now I sell them pretty well on website and at shows I can sell a hundred+ easily. 'Course a 4 for $ price helps sell the multiples at shows.

I also do the 1oz little black portion cups with my last bits of wax and just write the name on the lid. I bundle up about a dz and hand them out when you buy a tart warmer. Plus I bundle up a big bag for friends and family for $5. Just enough to pay for the costs and they get some treats.

I did when I got the bigger, flimsy type. Several suppliers carry them and they are a few cents cheaper. The other type is a hair smaller and much sturdier. I have never had a problem with the sturdy type but tossed a bunch of the others.

I sell both the small tarts in the polypro oval souffle cups and also sell the clamshells. A lot of people will buy the souffle size as testers and then do a follow up purchases on the larger clamshells when they find something they like.

I also use the larger clamshells with an Ecosoya PB and CB-135 blend and never had a problem; some have been stored for 10 months and still look and smell as good as new. I did discover that the thin walled circular cups would get soft and steal the scent. Also Palm wax will make that container so soft it looks like it was melted in just a matter of weeks.

I have ordered from the mfg several times but I have also gotten them from co-ops and I think Greenleaf & WSP carry the sturdier type. The model # is 1524 in case you want to email a supplier and ask.

They are just a few cents more but by the time I threw away the ones I had that got skunky, I had spent more in wasted product than it would have cost to just get the others. It took a good 6 mo for them to get yuck smelling and only on vanillas.

:grin2:

who sells the sturdier types?