Tarts vs. Clamshells

dirtybirdsoaps

which do you prefer?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. which do you prefer?

• tarts
    • clamshells

I was thinking about giving these a try. I just figured Id get everyones opinion on which they prefer. I figure there has to be pros and cons for both. So any advice would be appreciated.

Also, is it possible to use GB415 for these or will I have to order another wax? If I have to order another wax, what wax is good for these.....preferably soy.

Thanks for any help :D

I personally prefer the tarts and in my area the people do too...I have alot of older people who think the clamshell is just to hard to open and get the melt out.

My thing is - I don't want to have to worry about another container and it being shipped to me.....

Emily

Clamshells. I've had them for 3 years now. People LOVE the packaging and storage. Also, no other local candle maker does them in clamshells so they like it. Now that Scentsy is making its way here, it's a better selling point for me, since mine are half of what they charge.

I do clamshells and love them. They are super easy to make...no molds. You don't have to wrap them and they even have the little hand tag area so you can easily display them. I don't even make a label. I print my info on regular paper, cut it out to the size of the front and then close that inside. The paper is cheaper, it is protected inside the clamshell's lid and the lid gives it a glossy look. Check it out for yourself.

melts56.jpg

I do clamshells and love them. They are super easy to make...no molds. You don't have to wrap them and they even have the little hand tag area so you can easily display them. I don't even make a label. I print my info on regular paper, cut it out to the size of the front and then close that inside. The paper is cheaper, it is protected inside the clamshell's lid and the lid gives it a glossy look. Check it out for yourself.

melts56.jpg

Now THAT is some nice packaging!!! Do you use a laser printer for that? I'm thinking I really need to invest in one, and the price I've been seeing for them lately really isn't too bad.

I like the ease of use of the clamshells but, I have trouble selling them so I stick to these little foil cups that are half way down the page on here:

http://www.kycandlewaxsupply.com/packaging.htm

The little foil cups work great for me. I pkg. these up in single, 4 pks. and 6 pks. Some of my people like to try a few different scents, others like the same scent. This way they can choose what they want. They are pretty easy to use also, you just pour right into them without having to mess with the molds. Of course, you have to wait before putting them in the pkg. but it is another alternative to consider.

I use soy for votives for my tarts also. Hope this helps. Good luck on whatever you decide!

**ETA-Wow southern scents....those look terrific!**

I am glad you guys like them. I use an inkjet printer. I wanted a laser printer but the expense was just too much for me. Time I bought the printer for 100-300 dollars and then the toner....it was just too much. We found a great deal at a closeout store on an Epson R280 (Made for printing photos.) I think we paid $30. Your sitting there saying ink must be outrageous. It actually is so we bought this. It contains the equivelent of 60 ink cartridges and only cost $50. The ink quality is really good and it is so affordable that I can print all of my labels on the photo setting. I even use high gloss photo for my apothecary jars, soap, lotion, and linen spray. It looks like I had them professionally printed without the expense. It may not be the solution for everyone but it works great for me.

melts56.jpg

Do you have any problems with them discoloring inside the clamshells?

I say tarts.. but I make all kinds. I make the standard ones then I make lots of shapes using choc molds. I will make them and add them to a bag and sell them that way or make a bunch of differnt ones and let people pick and choose what they want. I sell lots this way. The clamshells just dont sell that great for me.

I love the clamshells. I also make tarts in little souffle cups, snap the lid on and put round label on those. I started with tarts in bags, then went to shrink wrapping them like Yankee. Way too much work and people didn't seem to care around here. So started using the cups, they usually hold up pretty good. I put them in a big hat box, and people sort through them.

The clamshells were a harder sell. But I sell more and more of them. I love the ease of displaying them. When we bought the building for the store, they had old eyeglass displays. My husband converted the display to hold the clamshells. They are in alphabetical order, each peg holds 3 clamshells. There are four spinning colums, with a row of pegs on four sides of each spinning column. So we can easily display a whole bunch of clamshells. We also have been selling a lot of the plug in warmers from Levines, and those squares of the clamshells work great in those.

I used to use 4794 for the tarts and clamshells, but switched to a blend of different waxes for a softer wax. The plug in warmers seem to need a softer wax.

I love tarts. I never use a candle, unles I am testing. They are so quick. The secretary at the high school uses a warmer in the reception area. I furnish her with different melts. People are delighted with the different scents, are always trying to guess what they are. A great marketing tool.