Square mason jars - best place to buy?

Actually Aztec is not the cheapest....

TVG Glass sells the mason for 32cents and the old timey rust canning jar lids that you see on all the candle sites for 69cents to 1.10 - well they sell them for 44cents.....They even have the country comfort jars - 12 26oz jars for 8.52 -

16oz jars - 7.44 for 12.......and they have lots more! This place is great! They are out of new york....I just ordered 72 jars and the shipping to GA was only 32.00.....

I was referred to Tvg glass from a gal here and thanks so much!

Tel: 315-453-0920 - speak to Phil..

Trappeur

She's in Florida. Good grief! Shipping from TVG would kill her. She specifically says in her post that shipping is a consideration. Why recommend suppliers halfway across the country? Or all the way across the country, which CandleSoylutions is.

With heavy masons, there's not much point in saving a few cents per jar if the shipping doubles the cost.

Furthermore, if she orders a pallet, which she doesn't want, she'll have to pay for the lift, etc. She doesn't have a tax ID so it's unlikely she has a loading dock.

All these things must be taken into consideration when ordering heavy items.

Good grief Sliver! There is no reason to get uppity about my post putting up a source that might be helpful.....I know what her post said and that she is in Fla....I happen to live in Georgia which is not too far from Fla and when I called this company that is in New York, their jars cost WITH the shipping was still a lot better than other suppliers even than Candle Science and they are not too far from me! And who said anything about ordering a pallet? She didn't and I didn't....And you don't have to order a pallet from TVG.....I just merely put up a source that she herself can check into for pricing....I find it very helpful when people put up all sorts of sources here, whether or not they are what I'm looking for...The more the merrier...You just never know...I was recommended to TVG from a gal here and it sure helped me out! I know I haven't been here as long as you have, Sliver and don't post that much so I don't know if that is the reason you jumped down my throat but you could sure use a little more class and tact talking to someone! I would never talk to someone like the way you just did to me and don't expect anyone to talk to me the way you just did...I'm not your whipping board or anyone elses for that matter so if you are having a bad hair day, don't take it out on someone else! Maybe you should go back to bed and start your day over..... I was merely just putting up maybe a source that might be worth checking into....

Trappeur

Trappeur, thanks for that information. Your mention that you only bought 72 jars was very helpful to me because I never even checked with TVG because I thought you had to order huge quantities from them.

I'll probably stick with Alabaster for my jelly jars because I go within 30 miles of them a few times a year, so whenever I go, I combine the trip with picking up a truckload of wax and jars, but for times I may need jars and not be going in that direction, I'm definitely going to add TVG to my list to check prices.

Thanks again,

Jane

Oh, I also forgot to post to the quote of her paying for a lift if she orders a pallet? No, she doesn't at all! I have had a home furnishings shop now for 10 years and I have never ever paid for a lift! When these pallets come off the tractor trailers the drivers have dolleys to get them off their truck...Depending on how you treat the driver and how respectful you are to them, its amazing what you can get done even with just a smile and kind word or a soda....Maybe give them a candle like I used to, to this one particular driver, or just give a little tip....And most of the time generally, the drivers will do it all for nothing....When I knew a truck was coming in, I would have help on my end so the pallet could be dismanteled and brought inside my shop....

Just because maybe if she doesn't have a tax id, I wouldn't assume she has no loading dock without asking her....Even with a tax id proves nothing except you retail your products....And look at all the people especially here on these candle boards who work out of their homes! I don't think they all have loading docks off their front or back porches.....lol, lol The only way that a tractor trailer will deliver to most generally (but there are exceptions too) is to a commercial address where there generally is a loading dock and even if there isn't any loading dock, as long as there is room for that trailer to get in and out that is all that matters. And where there is a will there is a way....Maybe you have a friend who has a business with loading dock that packages can be shipped to? Well, I think I've made a statement to the post from above.....As you all can see I seem to be a little rowled up today! lol....well I am...I myself have a a couple rough weeks in my life these past few weeks and I have never lashed out at anyone.....This post today just got to me and the disrespect to another person like I got today, shouldn't happen and today was my day that I wasn't going to be walked on......and treated like a stupid idiot or that I knew nothing....

Trappeur

It's extremely helpful--my brother is in the hospital in Birmingham and I plan to go down Thursday to see him, so I'm going to order a few cases of wax and some jars even though I don't really need it yet.

It also doesn't hurt that Alabaster's prices are usually pretty competitive!! And the people who work there are terrific.

Jane

Not to fret Trap. Ignore the negativity. :smiley2: Speaking from my own experience, it pays to shop around, no matter how close or far a supplier is.

For example: Bittercreek is in WI, one state away, Candlescience is in NC, many miles from me and CS's shipping is cheaper. Go figure. :undecided How the heck does that work anyways?!?! I'll never know!

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate all the responses to this thread. I was looking for square mason jars myself a couple weeks ago and finally found them at candlesoylutions. I also bought their pewter "air freshener" lids with them. I bought the lids separately about a week or so before just to see if they'd work for what I want to do.

The jars cost me 6.95 a dozen with 14.94 shipping, although I am in Washington. I'm sure the shipping to Florida would be much more expensive. It's good to find out where suppliers are all over the country since we're all over the country here on this forum.

I didn't know about candlesandsupplies, so now I have it bookmarked.

I'm not using my jars for candles, though. I have been wildcrafting and drying pounds of wild rosehips and will add dried sliced crabapples, dried cayenne, cinnamon sticks and some other goodies including tiny wax tarts scented with EOs for a cool looking potpourri for my holiday fairs this year.

Just to add a note to this post....I purchased 80 cases of Aztec's square mason jars...good price, low shipping, 3 smooth sides, MASON on only one side great for small sq. labels and I didn't have to drive to pick mine up at BCS (just lazy I guess).

However, some of the jar threads are catty-wompus and my rust lids sit tilted.....not good....

I'll be going back to BCS sq. mason jars after these are gone.

Be forwarned.

Carrie