What would you do?

thecandlespastore

She already got a thank you card and a free gift and look what happened. I never want to deal with her again. Who knows, her child might eat the card and the small gift:tongue2: and it will be my fault all over again.

You've done enough. Sending her another email will only rouse her ire more. She is a pure trouble. Do not correspond with her further.

Do document all correspondence and anything further she may send. If she gets more accusatory or threatening consult your attorney and have him/her deal with this customer.

Here is my letter I wrote with MissMary's and thesoapbox's suggestions, did not send it yet. I just feel like not replying to all her wrong information is going to empower her.

Thank you for the information but I would like to now share some information with you as well, since I have been doing this for a very long time. When I see that someone is giving out the wrong information, I like to lend a helping hand and educate them a little:

1. Since my soap was not a food product, and obviously so, it's not regulated by the FDA. Only "fake soap" that is a detergent product and not handcrafted soap is regulated by the FDA. There is a big difference between handmade soap (from scratch) and what you see on the shelves at the grocery store.

2. Since my soap is not food and I did not label it as organic, USDA regulations do not apply, since they do not deal with handcrafted soap.

3. The soap that you received as a free sample does NOT contain any harmful chemicals that would harm a person. After the process, the main components that I use to make my soap has gone through what is known as saponification, leaving glycerin and a sodium salt that we call soap So no, I have not broken any laws there either.

4. Perhaps the ICC will give you a better understanding, they deal with Roads and Railways. There are no regulations in place when a product crosses state lines that pertain to this situation.

I can understand you being upset about your child (or teen, not even sure how old your child is) biting into a bar of soap, never knew it looked good enough to be misconstrued as fudge. But label or no label, it is not my fault that he/she bit into it. It is your responsibility as a parent to make sure your child does not put things in his or her mouth that do not belong there. And if you gave your child the piece of soap that you assumed was fudge sent from a total stranger on the internet, then that is not my fault either. I personally would never give my child anything to eat from the mail, even if I knew the person very well. You never know what can happen to food during transit, one of the reasons I only sell bath and body products.

Please do not assign blame on anyone but yourself for not monitoring your child close enough and not fully inspecting what you allow the child to consume. I find your emails threatening and presumptuous, and they could warrant an investigation with the local DFACS. All email communication will henceforth cease and any further communication will be given to my lawyer if this issue persists. I appreciate your purchase, I am sorry my perfume did not satisfy your olfactory desires, and I bid you a good day.

I agree with this letter and is great information. Who knows what she may or may not do without having the proper information? At the very least, non response without informing them that all further communication will be ceased and accordingly sent to a lawyer could also be a bad thing, because anything she says right now may or may not be admissible, however, she's now officially informed that her correspondence is "taped" so to speak.

ETA: And I reverse my prior opinion after talking to a dear professor that no contact should be made, the above paragraph was mostly her thinking.

Here is her response:

Thank you for all your information, and I DO appreciate the time you spent compiling it.

All I can tell you, is the besides a small metal jar, I received what appeared to be a piece of fudge in a sandwich bag. The only identification on it was a scrap of red paper that said,

'Brown sugar/ fig', and NOTHING ELSE.

You know what it looked like to a child.

Again thank you for all your consideration, but please stop and think what happened to me. . .

P.S. I still don't care for the solid 'perfume'. It smells like nothing but shea butter. I was hoping for some suggestion of Sandalwood and/or Amber.

Aw, she softens up after you get tough. Figures - people love to threaten.

Good on you, and now you can dust this woman off.

"Think of what happened to me"? Good gracious - it's not A Christmas Story, Ralphie went blind sort of thing. Worst thing that happened was the kid went EWWWWWWWWWWWW, and spit it out and had a nasty taste in his mouth.

ETA: Though it is required to label the ingredients and the word soap, so double check this in the future.

Aw, she softens up after you get tough. Figures - people love to threaten.

Good on you, and now you can dust this woman off.

"Think of what happened to me"? Good gracious - it's not A Christmas Story, Ralphie went blind sort of thing. Worst thing that happened was the kid went EWWWWWWWWWWWW, and spit it out and had a nasty taste in his mouth.

ETA: Though it is required to label the ingredients and the word soap, so double check this in the future.

I know! You are so funny,lol. I was this close to not sending anymore samples after a customer complained that her free sample of lotion was not scented enough for her and if I could send her additional scent to put in it (scented with Luctor too, one of the most expensive fragrance oil I own at $70 a pound!) But I just made new samples of everything last night with labels that are very detailed for the Bath and Body products for Dummies crowd. A lesson learned, you can never learn too much!

Ok here goes.. I'm sorry your son tried to eat my soap but their was a label on the pkg. It must have fallen off in the packaging during shipping. Check and see if you can find it cause I always have it on my free samples. I take pride in making all my soaps and a lot of them look so fancy I guess a kid could think it was something to eat. But as we know as parents we have to be aware of what our children are doing all the time. And oh yes, too bad you didn't get to try the soap cause it is one of my best sellers....

I never send samples of anything without proper labeling....as to what it is with the ingredients listed. Calling a customer stupid because they aren't sure exactly what you sent should give you a heads up that you are doing something wrong that needed correcting. Yes I agree she was over the top with her response, but you actually were in the wrong because the soap wasn't labeled properly to begin with. :cool2:

Here is her response:

P.S. I still don't care for the solid 'perfume'. It smells like nothing but shea butter. I was hoping for some suggestion of Sandalwood and/or Amber.

Unbelieveable! For all you know this woman never had a child take a bite in the first place. These are people that are out to prey on up standing citizens trying to make a honest living and bilk you for everything you have.

All they are out for is more free stuff or money. Gee and it sounds like the P.S. comment was to get more free stuff. I bet she is in the shower right now lathering up with that free sample bar with a big smile on her face saying oh this smells so good!

Unbelieveable! For all you know this woman never had a child take a bite in the first place. These are people that are out to prey on up standing citizens trying to make a honest living and bilk you for everything you have.

All they are out for is more free stuff or money. Gee and it sounds like the P.S. comment was to get more free stuff. I bet she is in the shower right now lathering up with that free sample bar with a big smile on her face saying oh this smells so good!

My thoughts EXACTLY! :rolleyes2

I love this part- "but please stop and think what happened to me" ??

Nothing happened to HER! Even if her child took a bite out of the soap, the most she would have had to deal with is hearing him/her gross out (cry maybe if it was a little guy) and wash his/her mouth out and/or have them brush their teeth-whoopee doo! :rolleyes2

And if you didn't think she was phishing for more freebies or a refund before, her little P.S. was a HUGE red flag!

I'm glad you sent the letter, now you can just sit back and laugh about what a whack-o she is. ;)