just started testing with 464

Hi,

I just received my 10# sample of 464 and I love the flake form that it comes in-it is really easy to work with but I ran into a problem....this wax made an absolutely beautiful candle with a perfect melt pool and the throw was not too bad either.I did a 3 hour test burn and again all was very well but when the MP cooled it looked bumpy and a little pitty??????What the heck went wrong??? 8 oz container 1 oz fo per# heat to 160 add fo and pour at aprox 130,my jars were heated and I wrap each candle with a little cloth to "insulate" them so they cool VERY slow.Am I missing something??

• 1 month later...
Same thing here....nature of the beast.

I use the 464 and I do NOT and will NOT heat jars or insulate and mine come out just fine. Try doing a few without all that extra work and see how they turn out....:D

tootie

Do you really like this wax? I am thinking of switching to it. I use 50/50 blend and the prices are getting too high plus my supplier is discontinuing it so I have to either find a different wax or a new supplier and the latter is not possible.

Do you really like this wax? I am thinking of switching to it. I use 50/50 blend and the prices are getting too high plus my supplier is discontinuing it so I have to either find a different wax or a new supplier and the latter is not possible.

CS stills carries this wax

Golden Brands 464 Soy Wax

thumb_golden_brands_logo.jpg 10 lb. Bag - $14.95

50 lb. Case - $57.95

An all natural soy wax that holds lots of fragrance oil and helps reduce frosting. A favorite of soy candle makers everywhere!

My advice is to listen to Kristi. She is the 464 Master and has brilliant tips with this wax. If you do a search (464) and look for her name, you will find VERY helpful comments that will save you many hours and lots of money.

Thanks, Kristi!:highfive:

Linda

Aww, shucks... it's just what works for poor impatient me :laugh2: . I like to pour hot, I like lots of scent throw, I like little to no frosting. The tops are awesome after pouring, but they are a lovely crystalized pitted pattern after burning (ok, that's what I try to think anyway).

Bottom line though- you'll find the wax and style that works for you. I fought with c-3 for a year before trying something else. I was SO much happier with 464.

-Kristi

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I am testing this wax too (even posted my own question). I got a cheaper price for this wax at Peak, but the shipping maybe the problem. *sigh*

But I noticed this too, when I burned my first larger candle (I poured the leftover into a 3-4 oz votive). I noticed that it was the wick because my 2 oz test tin burned to a full melt pool and cooled smooth, but the glass votive did not. I understand that it may be the nature of the wax and FO (I used 1.5 oz), but I also read to test the wicks.

HTH and please let me know how your testing goes! I am trying not to panic over the little things (and reign in my urge to buy everything).

Hi!

I am trying not to panic over the little things (and reign in my urge to buy everything).

LOL Caramel that is too true! I have been researching candlemaking for a few months, and now that I am indulging in the actual making of candles, it is soooo hard to know the difference between what I actually need and what I "want" lol.. I just want to try everything!! :rolleyes2

But I do have a question since this thread pertains to the 464... i use the 444. What made you all choose the 464 over the 444?

I actually haven't had any frosting at all with it so far, and the HT and CT are phenomenol with 1 oz FO and less. Wonder if climate makes a difference??

TIA.

Hi, I also LOVE 464. I also pour hot, impatient me.:embarasse I always get smooth tops, until after burn, I dont mind what it looks like after burn though. I have also used 444 and it has rough tops no matter when I pour it, or what I do to it. The 464, I dont insulate or heat jars either and still have no problems.

IMO, go with the 464, I think you'll soon love it also.

Same thing here....nature of the beast.

I use the 464 and I do NOT and will NOT heat jars or insulate and mine come out just fine. Try doing a few without all that extra work and see how they turn out....:D

tootie

Totally agree I only use 464 and refuse to wrap or heat my jars, patientce is not my virtue! Mine come out fine as well, I will say that I heat my wax to 185 add FO at 175 (make sure you stir it well) and then I cool to about 110 and pour. :wink2: