M&P Base Opinions requested :)

Skiminims

Hey all,

I've been doing some research on bases, and I've narrowed it down to three suppliers to purchase from for my first batch.

I'm wanting to start off with some Goats Milk.

I've narrowed it down to WSP (which carries Crafter's Choice), Peaks (carries SFIC) and Nature's Garden (has their own bases I believe)

I've heard great things about SFIC, and I know some of you have used Crafter's Choice bases but have any of you tried the bases from Natures Garden? Do you recommend them? I tried doing a search and couldn't really find any reviews on them.

Thanks all! :wave:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Peaks SFIC soaps.... I've tried brambleberry, bcn and nature's garden and peak, they all perform basically the same, However, I selected the SFIC bases for my line, which I order from either, peaks or ky.

In researching M & P soaps over the years, I found that many customers complained of itchiness, dryness and breaking out. The SLS, sodium laureate, used in most M & P soaps, is a foaming agent and is extremely drying to the skin. SFIC bases do not have SLS, or SLES or alcohol in their bases. My skin is very sensative, even to the point that I can't wear nickle. The SFIC bases make my skin smooth, and I've experience no problems with the base.

I use SFIC's goat's milk and oatmeal bases and absolutely love them! I ordered some from NG's goat's milk when I was out of SFIC and there wasn't a co-op going on, and there's just no comparison!

In fact, I've been wanting to learn to make "real" lye soap for a few years because of the beautiful swirls I see in the gallery, but I actually prefer the feel of soap made with SFIC base to hand-made soap.

I just think you can't go wrong with SFIC's bases.

Jane

I have tried bases from WSP, Brambleberry, and SFIC from Peaks.

Nothing at all compared to SFIC..... and I was quite ticked I had wasted my money elsewhere.

BUT, everyone likes different things. And trying different ones will help you know what you want, and what you don't. :grin2:

In my opinion the very best base out there is from Essentials By Catalina www.essentialsbycatalina.com . BUT.. Peaks is so much closer to me so I order SFIC from them. I only use their Low Sweat White. I never use a base with goat's milk already added, I prefer to add my own fresh goat's milk or canned if that's not possible, but definitely always add my own.

Good luck in your search! :)

In my opinion the very best base out there is from Essentials By Catalina www.essentialsbycatalina.com . BUT.. Peaks is so much closer to me so I order SFIC from them. I only use their Low Sweat White. I never use a base with goat's milk already added, I prefer to add my own fresh goat's milk or canned if that's not possible, but definitely always add my own.

Good luck in your search! :)

Not trying to highjack....

do you add liquid goats milk from the store to the base?? I have seen the cans in the baking isle and have been eyeballing them... hahaha

Not trying to highjack....

do you add liquid goats milk from the store to the base?? I have seen the cans in the baking isle and have been eyeballing them... hahaha

Yes, whenever I don't have fresh goat's milk available I use the liquid or the powdered goat's milk from the store to the base! It's wonderful and in my opinion works quite a bit better than using a base with goat's milk already added, but that's just me!

Well, I made some with black australian clay last night and honestly, I like the feel! It gives a squeaky clean feel without the tightness. Hard to describe. I'm going to try it without any additives, just color and scent and see how that goes. But, so far, it's pretty nice.

ETA: they are a little more difficult to unmold. I wasn't too surprised since the site mentioned this. I just had to wait a little longer. Woke up this morning and they popped right out.

Well, I made some with black australian clay last night and honestly, I like the feel! It gives a squeaky clean feel without the tightness. Hard to describe. I'm going to try it without any additives, just color and scent and see how that goes. But, so far, it's pretty nice.

ETA: they are a little more difficult to unmold. I wasn't too surprised since the site mentioned this. I just had to wait a little longer. Woke up this morning and they popped right out.

Glad to hear it worked out! I noticed on the site it did say it might be a little difficult to unmold, that's why I had some reservations about it.

Don't think its a SFIC base. I'm sure it would have said so on the website.

Thanks. I didn't think it was. I haven't worked in soap, as of yet, and wanted to be sure.

Well, I ordered a small amount to fool around with, so I'm okay with that. I'll get the SFIC base next if I feel like I want to pursue the soaping.

Thanks. I didn't think it was. I haven't worked in soap, as of yet, and wanted to be sure.

Well, I ordered a small amount to fool around with, so I'm okay with that. I'll get the SFIC base next if I feel like I want to pursue the soaping.

Which base did you order? Did you order from WSP? I ordered the ultra white. It says its a bright white and is easier to unmold than their other white base.

In my opinion the very best base out there is from Essentials By Catalina www.essentialsbycatalina.com . ...

Since I live close to Essentials By Catalina, this would be so convienient! I'm currently using Peaks SFIC bases because I like the natural ingredients. In checking out the ingredients in the WSP and Essentials By Catalina, I'm not sure if what they list are chemicals or not. Are their bases as natural as the SFIC bases?

TIA