M&P Base Opinions requested :)

Skiminims

Since I live close to Essentials By Catalina, this would be so convienient! I'm currently using Peaks SFIC bases because I like the natural ingredients. In checking out the ingredients in the WSP and Essentials By Catalina, I'm not sure if what they list are chemicals or not. Are their bases as natural as the SFIC bases?

TIA

I would call EBC and ask! They are so friendly and really great to talk to! I know they make their bases right there, so they should have great infor for you! I love their base.. LOVE IT! You're so lucky to live close to them!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would call EBC and ask! They are so friendly and really great to talk to! I know they make their bases right there, so they should have great infor for you! I love their base.. LOVE IT! You're so lucky to live close to them!

I wrote to them asking for their ingredients and they responded. While they did give me a list of ingredients for each of their M&P soaps, they also added this clause:

"This information is strictly confidential and should not be given to anyone without Expressed permission from Essentials By Catalina. "

Hmmm...is this odd? Normally, I like to let my buyers know what they're putting on their skin. Anyway, I guess I could say that they do have one particular M&P soap that appears to be an all natural fabulous blend of yummy goodness. Is that the one you're referring to, Prairieannie?

I wrote to them asking for their ingredients and they responded. While they did give me a list of ingredients for each of their M&P soaps, they also added this clause:

"This information is strictly confidential and should not be given to anyone without Expressed permission from Essentials By Catalina. "

Hmmm...is this odd? Normally, I like to let my buyers know what they're putting on their skin. Anyway, I guess I could say that they do have one particular M&P soap that appears to be an all natural fabulous blend of yummy goodness. Is that the one you're referring to, Prairieannie?

The one I love and always used from them was just their white base. Maybe they got a new one.. maybe it's time for me to peruse their site again and find an excuse to order a bunch LOL. Dang..

As for a list of ingredients that you could put on your labels.. ask them what you should do. I've never added all of the actual base ingredients to my label, so I've not worried about it. I bet they would give you a label list of ingred. if you asked though :) Let me know if you do this! Just cuz I'm curious lol.

I remember asking for a list of ingredients a few months back. They don't list their ingredients on their website. Thought that was a little strange.

But they sent them to me when I asked. But it turned out I liked what I was already using so I didn't try theirs out.

The one I love and always used from them was just their white base. Maybe they got a new one.. maybe it's time for me to peruse their site again and find an excuse to order a bunch LOL. Dang..

As for a list of ingredients that you could put on your labels.. ask them what you should do. I've never added all of the actual base ingredients to my label, so I've not worried about it. I bet they would give you a label list of ingred. if you asked though :) Let me know if you do this! Just cuz I'm curious lol.

I'm determined (eager!! :drool: ) to try their soap bases. The bases sound terrific and I wouldn't have to pay for shipping. They said I could pick up any orders I make and so I called them yesterday to place an order but they're on vacation until Sept 2nd, though. I'll wait . . . :rolleyes2

Currently, I'm having a problem with some of the OMH FO's morphing in the SFIC soap bases I'm using. I've wasted so much soap! I'm using KY's OMH, WSP OMH in Goat Milk base and in Shea base and they continue to come out with a dusty ordor. This doesn't happen when I use NG's OMH FO, though. But, I don't get it. These other FO's are suppose to be awesome.

I'm all about the SFIC base. I buy it in the 50lb. tubs from SFIC and love it. Maybe I"ll give WSP a try again. I started out with theirs and didn't like it near as well but maybe it has changed since then.

I'm all about the SFIC base. I buy it in the 50lb. tubs from SFIC and love it. Maybe I"ll give WSP a try again. I started out with theirs and didn't like it near as well but maybe it has changed since then.

I've been split between WSP and SFIC from Peaks. I'm only going to order 2lbs of each just to play with and see how I like them. I might even order from Catalina since PA has been raving about them so much :) They have a natural base that looks good.

Aren't they out in California? I would have to have my bases shipped here to VA. That gets quite expensive.

I'm in Oklahoma, and granted, I'm only going to be ordering sample sizes, the shipping isn't bad compared to a few others I've looked at.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been working with the WSP ultra white base and so far am not impressed.

What I like about it is I get those big bubbles that I have been wanting to get in my soap. It is also a nice white base and pops out of the soap mold okay. What it lacks is great lather.

I think the WSP base has less tolerance for adding butters and oils than the base I have been using so the lack of lather could be due to adding in various butters and oils. That is a shame because I don't want to work with a base that you can't add what you want to add to it.

I have been using my bases from C&S for over two years and so far have yet to find another base that is superior to it.

I'm sorry to hear that Candy. But I'm glad you shared, because I was considering trying WSP's base after I experimented with SFIC. I finally got to make my first 1 lb batch today.

It was very basic. Just SFIC goats milk. The only thing I added was 1tbsp of FO (sweet pea also from Peaks) I loved the FO, but I'm toying with the idea of adding a little bit more. The bar itself has a great smell laying on the table, but I can't smell it on me after I use it.

I'm definately going to play with coconut oil because I wasn't too impressed with the lather, and neither was DH.

But overall, I liked the SFIC.

I am revising my opinion on the WSP ultra white base. It seems that alone by itself it produces lots of rich creamy lather with those lovely big bubbles. I think that if you like something already to go then this base is it. Just add fragrance and dye.

I still don't like that it takes longer to harden than my other base and that I can't put in the additives I want. So far using my regular recipes I get either a greasy bar of soap or poor lather. It really has a low tolerence for additives like butters and oils. I have a few more lbs to play with so I will see how it goes.

I've never considered castor oil..hmm...would caster oil or glycerine work a little better lather-wise than coconut oil? I read that coconut oil helps with lather, and it also hardens the bar. I didn't really have issues with how the bar felt, just how little lather I got.

I am revising my opinion on the WSP ultra white base. It seems that alone by itself it produces lots of rich creamy lather with those lovely big bubbles. I think that if you like something already to go then this base is it. Just add fragrance and dye.

I still don't like that it takes longer to harden than my other base and that I can't put in the additives I want. So far using my regular recipes I get either a greasy bar of soap or poor lather. It really has a low tolerence for additives like butters and oils. I have a few more lbs to play with so I will see how it goes.

Thanks for the update! I think I'll stay away from WSP's bases for now. I'm hoping to be able to experiment with additives soon, and I want a base that will allow me to do that. :)

I orderd samples of White Base, Goat Milk Base and the All Natural Base from Essentials By Catalina and LOVED the White and Goat Milk bases! The All Natural is good but didn't have as much lather as the other two....probably from the rich oils it contains. It would be a GREAT soap for people with very dry skin. The Goat Milk and the White bases had the best lather I've ever seen in a M&P...and even beat some CP's I've used. I like these much better than the SFIC bases I was using.

I went down yesterday and picked up 20 pounds (because I live 30 minutes away) and was greeted and treated like a queen! Prarieannie was right...this is a wonderful company with fabulous soap bases!

:yay:

I orderd samples of White Base, Goat Milk Base and the All Natural Base from Essentials By Catalina and LOVED the White and Goat Milk bases! The All Natural is good but didn't have as much lather as the other two....probably from the rich oils it contains. It would be a GREAT soap for people with very dry skin. The Goat Milk and the White bases had the best lather I've ever seen in a M&P...and even beat some CP's I've used. I like these much better than the SFIC bases I was using.

I went down yesterday and picked up 20 pounds (because I live 30 minutes away) and was greeted and treated like a queen! Prarieannie was right...this is a wonderful company with fabulous soap bases!

:yay:

Outstanding! I had a feeling PA knew what she was talkin' about when she was raving about Catalina.

After I finish up with the 1lb I've got left, I just might have to buy some samples!! Thanks for the review Tizi!

I have used SFIC since I did all the research at the very beginning of my business. I even sell it on my site because I have always felt it was the very best I have ever tried. I have another web site where I am trying to market more to the natural side of things, so I bought a big box of the natural base from Essentials by Catalina. I love the natural aspect of it, but do find that it does not lather as well and am put off a little by the yellowish color too. However, I have not tried the additives suggested here, so maybe that will make a nice difference. Has anyone added caster oil or glycerin or coconut oil to the EC natural base? If so, what were the results?

Thanks a bunch,

Soapymomma

...so I bought a big box of the natural base from Essentials by Catalina. I love the natural aspect of it, but do find that it does not lather as well

That was my experience, also. The ingredients are fabulous but I don't care for a soap without lather and some bubbles. I may pick up some glycerine and play with the sample I have.

Is glycerine sold in stores? If so...what kind of stores (grocery, health food, beauty supply :rolleyes2 ...?)...and if in a grocery store, which section? (Thanks in advance).