Penney Layne Webdesign

Rae

I have never worked with them but from what I gather from the website it is another DIY website builder. They also design graphics/templates for websites. They are not affiliated with Handcraft Market.

HTH,

Chauna

Yes, Penney Layne Graphics is the current owner of what used to be Handcraft Market. Check out the whois on handcraftmarket.com, penneylayne.com diydesignhost.com . I have also spoken with here personally about HCM.

Thanks, Southern.scents,

Have you heard good or bad things about her? I am having a terrible time with her and have asked for my money back and she refused. I still haven't gotten the 2nd website from her and may not. Just wondering if she has a bad reputation I might just lose the money and get out.

TIA

Rae

Well, I have never delt with her so I cant speak for her customer service nor how to deal with her but just by posting bad feedback about her might speed things up. Also, if you used paypal, start a dispute. She might start working at getting your items done. BTW, if you are doing anything in which you are going to have to CONTINUE working with her and she has already proved to be someone who could careless about her customers, I would definitely get out.

I am having a terrible time with her and have asked for my money back and she refused. I still haven't gotten the 2nd website from her and may not. Just wondering if she has a bad reputation I might just lose the money and get out.

TIA

Rae

I rest my case.

Get Out! I don't usually say something unless I mean it. Why on earth would you consider a 2nd site if she's so ugly with the first one? It never ceases to amaze me.

Because I thought it was just an employee being rude. When I started dealing with Laura she seemed like she really wanted to help. She made me a ton on promises, so I thought I got the right person. Then after getting into it I realized she was the same person and maybe the only person at Penney Layne. I am checking now into moving site somewhere else and just lose the $400. I will certainly spread the word to not use Penney Layne.

Rae

Yes, Penney Layne Graphics is the current owner of what used to be Handcraft Market. Check out the whois on handcraftmarket.com, penneylayne.com diydesignhost.com . I have also spoken with here personally about HCM.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just did that and here is the reply from PL as to the dispute.

PayPal Dispute‏

Sent: Sat 8/09/08 4:50 PM

To: Rae Elliott (rae_rutherford@hotmail.com)

Rae:

Just so you know, intangible service items are not eligible for chargebacks at PayPal. Only items that are tangible and are shipped. They'll let you open up a dispute, but it is ineligible. Since you use paypal in your store we thought you should know that.

I don't think she knows the meaning of customer service or

the customer is always right. I am looking for a place to move my website or websites.

Rae

If you've paid through PayPal, start a dispute ASAP. If through a credit card/debit card, start with the bank. Also, attempt to file with the BBB. Write a report on RipOffReport.com .

Don't take it laying down! If you can, yell to the top of the mountains.

There are several other places that will give you good customer service and follow through with what they say they will do. I know exactly how you feel about paying in advance for something that you don't get. People will promise anything when they have no intentions of following through.

I highly recommend Designer218 for good customer service, replies to your questions, etc. I moved several months ago and have been very pleased.

Thanks, MissMary,

I did the dispute, but I don't think that is going to work. Thanks for the other suggestions. I will do that. I hate being taken.

If anybody has suggestions about hosts, please let me know. I have had suggestions for diywebhosting and designer 218. Any others? This will be number 3 coming up so I want to get it right this time. :yay: :yay: :yay:

Rae

Mega dittos to Designer 218. 218 is my 3rd. If you'll do a search on my user ID here, you'll readily find my opinion of HandCraftMarket. The posts that haven't been deleted, that is, lol.

My 2nd was with DIYeStores. It was OK, good in most respects. A few kinda off things. I want complete control, which DIY doesn't give you. Some downtime when they were having server problems/overload, but hopefully, they have that problem taken care of by now.

So I hiked myself over to 218 and couldn't be happier. There's nobody alive who could beat Mandi's customer service. She should be cloned.

Don't take it laying down! If you can, yell to the top of the mountains.

I've tried that here a time or two but some of my posts were deleted. Too bad, too. A lot of CandleTech people might have been saved money and grief had my posts been allowed to stand.

He who laughs last laughs best!

Designer218. And do not give up on the paypal dispute, because you're freezing their money too. Although, I would find another way to pursue getting that money back, like involve your lawyer. Pissing away $400 really isn't something you want to do.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just did that and here is the reply from PL as to the dispute.

PayPal Dispute‏

Rae:

Just so you know, intangible service items are not eligible for chargebacks at PayPal. Only items that are tangible and are shipped. They'll let you open up a dispute, but it is ineligible. Since you use paypal in your store we thought you should know that.

I don't think she knows the meaning of customer service or

the customer is always right. I am looking for a place to move my website or websites.

Rae

NOW THIS WOULD HAVE PUSHED ME OVER THE EDGE. I would have been PISSED. Its like she is rubbing that fact that she has your money and there is nothing you can do about it in your face. Go to your lawyer as some said, keep going headstrong with that paypal dispute, and most of all MAKE SURE EVERYONE KNOWS OF YOUR EXPERIENCE.

Ok, she's right in saying intangible service items are not eligible for disputes and claims, chargebacks are through your credit card company and not paypal. This is from paypal's site:

These programs only cover payments for tangible, physical goods. All

other payments, such as payments for intangibles, services, airline flight

tickets, Classified Ads on eBay or licenses and other access to digital

content are not covered by any Buyer Protection Program that we offer

(but may be covered by Chargeback rights).

According to paypal, you can still file a dispute, but if you make it into a claim, they will wait until the time period to file chargeback with your credit card company is over before moving forward on the claim. If you file a chargeback at the same time, paypal will cancel the claim/dispute, since it is considered "double claims" My suggestion is to just file a chargeback and not even worry about paypal claim process.

You can go here to see paypal's policy

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/UserAgreement/ua/USUA#pbp-policy

Scroll down to paragraph 13.1 to see the above comment & to paragraph 13.14 for paypal/chargeback rights

I hope you can resolve this without more grief, it seems that paypal protects sellers more than buyers, so your CC company will be on your side.

PayPal Dispute‏

Rae:

Rae

Thanks to all. The sad thing is this was not a credit card. It was a debit card and I have tried to fight disputes before with bank and are always told you can't when you use your debit card. Guess I better start using a credit card, but we like to pay cash as we go.

Glad to heat designer 218 is good. I noticed they don't offer the tax and shipping calculators like others.

I am thinking of going with Designer 218 as well. I emailed them with some questions and hopefully things will be a go.

Right now I am with go daddy but do my site via FP and having to update things the way I do takes forever and ever and ever....lol.

Try to get a debit that will allow you to use it as a credit card as well.

It does work both ways. I just know when I had a dispute on a debit before the bank said they couldn't help me. When it goes through paypal I assume it is a debit and not credit. Think I will call my bank in the morning.