adding fragrance

mrsposey

I was talking to someone from a scent manufacturer today about scent throw. He told me that the people at his company never could understand why candlemakers added their fragrances at such a high temperature. He said when they make test candles they melt them to just above the melt point. He said that when a fragrance excedes its flash point, elements of the fragrance start to dissipate, reducing its strength. Has anyone heard this?

nancy

I was talking to someone from a scent manufacturer today about scent throw. He told me that the people at his company never could understand why candlemakers added their fragrances at such a high temperature. He said when they make test candles they melt them to just above the melt point. He said that when a fragrance excedes its flash point, elements of the fragrance start to dissipate, reducing its strength. Has anyone heard this?

nancy

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that I am not adding my fragrance into the wax at the FOs flash point. At least I know that many of them have a higher flash point than the temp I heat the wax too. On the other hand, I too have experienced poor oil incorporation if I don't heat the wax to the recommended temps to add my oils and dyes.

After i melt the wax .. i always let it cool down by 10 degree's an never had a problem with the scent not throwing or incorping to the wax..

if you add the oil at to high a temp it can burn the oil thus ruining it an you may as well throw that batch away

kinda found out the hard way on that one and wont do it again. :laugh2:

I'd be curious which manufacturer this is. The melt point of my wax is 118 degrees, no way could I add FO at that temp and get the FO and wax incorporated enough.

Right, my wax melt point is 123 degrees.

It's pretty common sense you can't heat the wax beyond the flashpoint of the FO, but I wasn't aware of the instructions for the wax.

I might check that out and see what happens. Maybe on Monday or right now - naw - Monday. :laugh2:

I'm not a chemistry genius, but logic leads me to believe this guy is a typical salesman spouting off partial truths that perpetuate confusion. The flash point of the fo is a tested temp based solely on the fo by itself & a heat source. Once you add the fo to wax, you have altered the chemical properties of the two ingredients & create a more stable environment for the fo to withstand a heat source. If you follow the 'idea' of the salesman, he's basically saying the fo can't withstand a temp higher than the flashpoint & any higher temp will burn off the scent. The exact temp of a burning candle has too many variables (size, wick, wax, container), but I can guarantee you it's far hotter than any fo flashpoint. According to The Candle Cauldron, "On average, the maximum flame temperature will be about 2550 deg F." Based on what the salesman is saying, it wouldn't matter what temp we add the fo, cause the burning of the candle would destroy all scent. All I know for sure is: I add all my fo's at 180 & they work perfectly w/ my wax. I've never been satisfied w/ the results of incorporating fo at lower temps.

Susan.

nancy

The most obvious question to ask him is how he gets his thicker fo's incorportated into his wax. If he can answer that one for you then I might feel the advice he is giving you may have some validity. However I am sure he will not have an answer.

Just because the melt point of a wax is say 123 degrees, when you are heating large amounts all of the wax will not be melted at 123 degrees. Some of the wax will be at 160 but you will still have unmelted wax in your melter. Sooooo be careful who you listen to. There is plenty of misinformation out there.