J50 won't bind with FO

Well, I'm now experimenting with J50. I poured one with 9% Peak's Home for the Holidays in a 16 oz apoth, double wicked with C60, and it had wonderful hot throw (compared to the MC soy I've been using). I added 1/2 tsp Vybar 260 and 1 oz Crisco per lb. Heated to 190, added FO, stirred for a couple of minutes and poured. I did not check the pour temp.

However, I made three jelly jars with Gemlite's Christmas Spice (it didn't do so well in soy IMO) following the same procedures as the HH, and the FO separated from the wax! I had two jars the looked good but did not smell real strong, and one that smelled good but had a big pool of FO at the bottom!

I scooped them out in my pour pot, reheated in double boiler to 190, stirred real good, then repoured, stirring again after pouring a jj. After the cooled, they looked and smelled better but each one had just a little FO pooled on the bottom. What gives? :sad2:

I know that it needs to be heated higher and poured hotter, but I found on connie's candles site instructions with J50 where it heats to 170, add FO, pour at 145.

Any J50 users have any hints? TIA

Why are you using 9%? I generally don't even use the 6%, and on some, I actully drop down to 1/2 ounce per pound. Especially if it is a thicker oil. I would say to reheat them, and add more wax, and that should straighten out your dilemma. You have to much fo, and not enough wax!

I've used J50 forever. First, you really shouldn't need more than 6%. If a FO doesn't throw well at 6%, I generally don't use it.

Also, I heat my wax to around 200 degrees, add color and FO. I have a few scents that just don't want to bind easily, so what I do it heat to 200 add FO and stir until my arm wants to break. Then I walk away for a while (not far away, I keep my eye on the temp :wink2: ) and let it sit, then come back and stir again. It may take 20 minutes, but it will bind eventually. Also, after it binds, I continue to stir for a while. I found that if I took my pourpot off the heat too soon after I thought it was all mixed in, I could tell that the FO was separating while my wax was cooling. So I must not have let it bind completely. So, just stir and stir and heat your wax higher. That should do the trick :D

I've used J50 forever. First, you really shouldn't need more than 6%. If a FO doesn't throw well at 6%, I generally don't use it.

Also, I heat my wax to around 200 degrees, add color and FO. I have a few scents that just don't want to bind easily, so what I do it heat to 200 add FO and stir until my arm wants to break. Then I walk away for a while (not far away, I keep my eye on the temp :wink2: ) and let it sit, then come back and stir again. It may take 20 minutes, but it will bind eventually. Also, after it binds, I continue to stir for a while. I found that if I took my pourpot off the heat too soon after I thought it was all mixed in, I could tell that the FO was separating while my wax was cooling. So I must not have let it bind completely. So, just stir and stir and heat your wax higher. That should do the trick :D

I don't know if I'm understanding you right,do you keep you wax on the heat while you are stirring the fo,then take it off to cool down to pour.I heat my J50 to 200 degrees,but take it off the heat,and add fo.

Anna