Olive Pumice

sherry

Pomace

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pomace (ultimately from Latin pomum 'apple') or marc is the solid remains of olives, grapes, or other fruit after pressing for juice or oil. It is essentially the pulp, peel, seeds and stalks of the fruit after the oil, water, or other liquid has been pressed out. Grape pomace has traditionally been used to produce grape seed oil, a practice that continues to this day in small amounts, and Pomace brandy, such as grappa. Today, pomace is most commonly used as fodder or fertilizer. Another pomace by-product is the natural red dye and food coloring agent oenocyanin. However, some companies are also recovering tartrates (cream of tartar) as well as grape polyphenols.[1]

Pomace

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pomace (ultimately from Latin pomum 'apple') or marc is the solid remains of olives, grapes, or other fruit after pressing for juice or oil. It is essentially the pulp, peel, seeds and stalks of the fruit after the oil, water, or other liquid has been pressed out. Grape pomace has traditionally been used to produce grape seed oil, a practice that continues to this day in small amounts, and Pomace brandy, such as grappa. Today, pomace is most commonly used as fodder or fertilizer. Another pomace by-product is the natural red dye and food coloring agent oenocyanin. However, some companies are also recovering tartrates (cream of tartar) as well as grape polyphenols.[1]

:) Thanks for the education E! It was very nice of you to show me how pomace oil was made :)

Hi! everybody can you tell me if any of you use it and what is the difference betwen OP and OO:D

Thanks

Now you know how it is made. I have not seen a how it makes a difference in my soap. Except in the color. It does calculate a little higher i think. Feels the same to me. Maybe that is just me hopefully some one will come along that will give more input on how it feels in soap compared to oo.

Unsaponifiables and other mysterious substances get undeserved credit for affecting soap qualities, even though they generally have little effect.

The differences between pomace and regular olive oil don't matter much for soaping. What's relevant is that they have a similar fatty acid profile, so you get the same results for less money (if you don't mind more color).

As a low-grade oil, olive pomace doesn't have the flavor and aroma qualities you'd want for culinary purposes. It probably is allowed to have a higher percentage of free fatty acids (oil molecules decomposed into their building blocks), which might account for the fact that some batches of OOP speed up trace.