Laundry soap question

MsDammit

I can make it with fels naptha, but everytime I make it with my own soap it never thickens up-always stays watery. I use 100% coconut with 0 superfat. I've tried with 3oz, 4oz, and 6oz of soap shavings but still failed, what am I doing wrong?

How do you mix your shredded soap? I mix mine with really hot water and stir until the soap is dissolved, then add 1/2 each of borax and washing soda. Stir to dissolve. This makes a gel that you will need to shake up before using. Hope this helps.

Do you have to do 100% coconut to make laundry soap? Can I just use my regular soaps that I make? And do they have to be fresh, or can they be older soaps?

When you are melting the soaps do you keep it on the stove to keep it hot while it is melting, or do you just add hot water?

Is washing soda, baking soda?

LSG - how many oz of soap are you mixing at one time?

I do notice when I put my regular bar soap on stains it gets them out really well.

You can use 1/2 to 2/3 of a bar. I made a laundry soap with lard and coconut oil. It also had borax, sugar and ammonia as ingredients. I wouldn't want to use a conditioning bar for laundry soap. I think older soap is much harder than new, so in my opinion it would be better to use.

I grated my soap and added it to almost boiling distilled water that I had removed from the stove. I think I had about 2 quarts hot water. I stirred in my soap shreds until they had melted and then added borax and washing soda. After everything was dissolved, I added enough distilled water to make a gallon of soap gel. You have to shake this up well before using each time.

Washing soda is different than baking soda; but if you don't have washing soda, baking soda is ok to use.

Ok I think I know where I goofed- I must not have gotten the mixture hot enough before I added the cold water....I just checked it and it has all separated, water on top and all the white stuff is sitting on the bottom of the pot. Well I guess I'll try again.:undecided

You might try using rain water or distilled water to dissolve your soap in also. I believe soft water works better. Mine separates also. I just give it a good shake every time before using. You might also use a stick blender on what you already have to see if you can blend it together before tossing it.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone ever made liquid laundry soap with just coconut oil, borax, glycerin and baking soda?

I want to make a batch to see how it turns out... I have a few year old shredded coconut soap that i can use too...

• 5 months later...

I am having the same separation problem. When I use Zote, it gets all rubbery and seems to incorporte better. But when I use the homemade recipe from the soap makers companion with ammonia, salt, sugar, coconut, and shortening, I get a fluffy "gel" on top (maybe 2 inches) and the rest is just water. And I stick blend it as well.

Am I adding too much water? 6 cups hot water to boil the soap, then add 1/2 c. washing soda and 1/2 c borax), after it is melted I put into bucket and add six more cups hot water from tap. At same time, I add in a half cup of oxyclean (which may be a problem too. Then I add in a gallon of cold water after I mixed the whole thing really well. In 12 hours, pure water and the littlest bit is the actual (fluffy) gel.

Please help.

I use david's recipe and it works every time for the exception that I add baking soda and oxy to it also. I've never added cold water though, I always added hot water to the bucket. The soap will always separate like someone said below, you have to shake it real good every time.