Pink Sugar Rustic

Mozzie

Hi, Haven't posted any pics for awhile so here goes. A couple of shots of my rustic pillar, scented with Pink Sugar fo. Haven't done a test burn yet so not sure what the hot throw will be like. Fingers crossed that it will be good.

post-592-139458384754_thumb.jpg

post-592-139458384757_thumb.jpg

It's a beautiful candle, but I DO think you could get some more rustic effect on the outside. When you unmolded it, was the inside covered in rustic? If so, try cleaning them as best as you can, then spray them with Pam and don't wipe it out. That'll help the rustic come out with the rest of the candle.

Oh, and when I pour slightly too cool I actually lose the rustic effect (???). So now I'm trying to stay around 160, instead of the 150 I used to pour at....

DanaE

It's a beautiful candle, but I DO think you could get some more rustic effect on the outside. When you unmolded it, was the inside covered in rustic? If so, try cleaning them as best as you can, then spray them with Pam and don't wipe it out. That'll help the rustic come out with the rest of the candle.

Oh, and when I pour slightly too cool I actually lose the rustic effect (???). So now I'm trying to stay around 160, instead of the 150 I used to pour at....

DanaE

Hi Dana, Thanks for the feedback, I'd like to have it more rustic if possible. In answer to your question, No, there wasn't any rustic left in the mould. My pouring temp was 145 and my wax MP is 130. Do you think I should move my pouring temp up or down? For instance, what is the MP of the wax you pour at 160? Cheers, Maureen

The meltpoint of my wax is about 135, if I remember correctly. If I pour at 150 I can occasionally get a rustic effect, but sometimes they just don't have any rustic at all. Try upping your temp to around 155 and see what happens. Just make sure the inside of your mold is incredibly clean. Sometimes I try to cheat and I halfway clean it, thinking "it looks good enough" but then I lose the rustic because it stays inside the mold. Adding a good bit of stearic helps too. I use 3 tablespoons per lb of wax and sometimes it's so rustic that I feel the need to scrap off some of the white stuff - LOL!.

DanaE

Oh yes....hot hot hot......pink that is. My rustics just do what they do. I use a higher mp wax than you. They also are different depending on if I use tin or aluminum. I am always messing around and so nothing ever looks the same...oh well....it's not boring. LOL Donita (I do like steric for rustics too)