Does anyone own their own kiln

Rebecca

I've been getting into ceramics again and there's a store going out of business selling everything and was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to look for with kilns?

I've already been online reading and finding books but personal experience seems to be more helpful sometimes.

TIA

Rebecca

I have been in ceramics since 1974. First of all find out the brand of the kiln and size. Ask them who services their kilns in case you buy it and need help. Once you find out who manufactures their kiln then you can get more info online. I have 3 Paragon Kiln and love them.

Rae

Thanks for the info. We called the owner and he's the one that has serviced his own kilns but we can't afford it right now anyway. We'd have to re-wire the garage for the amps. and have too many other things that need to get done before something just for a hobby.

I would love to be able to do this because there is only one lady by me that has a store and she's way overcharging for pieces and if they are not ones that you've bought from her she charges even more.

Plus if you have anything that needs a glaze firing you have to wait till she gets enough to fill up a really large kiln and it takes an average of 3-4 weeks before she'll fire.

ah well so much for that idea...lol

Rebecca...I don't guess you live in Georgia? When I had my 15,000sf wholesale ceramic business I was firing at least 2-3 kiln loads a day. That's too bad you have to wait so long. Wish I could help you.

Rae

Thanks for the offer.:smiley2: I live in MI and everything here is either gone or going out of business so it's hard to find anything.

People will buy the finished product but they don't want to actually do the painting. etc.

Too bad I had to quit my job otherwise it wouldn't take so long to save the money.

My neighbor lady has a ceramic shop and has 2 kilns... and a basement with hundreds and hundred of molds. It's amazing. She did it full time when she was younger but now has her shop open only 2 days a week but quite a few ladies come in regularly to paint on their projects. If you have a specific question just pm me and I will ask her for you.

Thank you. :smiley2:

My husband works with a guy that was just at an estate sale and bought tons of bisque there, so I may be able to buy some stuff off of him.

I guess the lady who was selling owned a ceramics business and one of the things they tried selling off a huge new kiln for less then $100.

The husband is gonna see if his buddy knows what happened to the stuff that didn't sell.

Ah well at least all the looking keeps me out of trouble...lol

Thanks :)It may be a couple of days till I can get back online tho...I'm at my parents house today doing laundry cause we have been without power for 3 days and it's not do to come back on till tomorrow night 11:30 PM they hope????.... :/One little storm and 163,000 + people are without power. Sheese...lol They had to call people in from KY to help.I can tell you eating out this much is not all it's cracked up to be...lol

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought one at an estate sale over the weekend. I think this thing is older than me. :o It has a fabric cord so I know it's super duper old and there is no way to get a manual on it so I have some testing to do to find out how hot it gets. If it works out than I'm excited and if it doesn't than I'm out $95.00.