Economy

LynnS

A GM plant is closing in my state as some other GM plants in 3 other states. This is not good at all. The last show I did was bad and now this makes things worse.:sad2:

I guess the only way I will do good is if I get on-line orders.

LynnS

Ya know, I've thought that way all year and knock on wood, all the shows we've done have been better than the year before. We're moving a lot of smaller items, but without them, we probably wouldn't do as well as we have. Layoffs are never good and neither is a slow economy, which is what surprises me about doing what we've done.

Scented, I think you are right, the smaller items will go because people still want some sort of induldgences, but at a lower price. Where people may have spent $50 before, they are spending $25.

Over the past few years every sale that we have done it has slowly gotten worse. I am not even sure if we are going to do our big show this year because of declining sales. We have added a ton of items that are under $10.00 which yes, that helps some but we have noticed that people are tighter with there money.

My shows are the same as Lorrie's. I never have anything over $5.00 now. Honestly,I tried to sell 10 ounce jars and 16 ounce jars and they sat. Not one customer looked unless they were the price of the 8 ouncers.Mostly what I sell. I have done one spring show this year and I made 2 1/2 times less than last year.This was before the GM plant closings were announced. Next show is a car show and a 4th of July celebration.I did go to the show a few years ago to see how it was (not a vendor) and didn't seem alot were looking at crafts but I just do it only because it is 6 hours. I can take it that long for 1 day event. Sitting 2 days and just over $100 is not for me. :rolleyes2

LynnS

My local economy has always been weak, and several local factories have restructured or closed leaving former customers without jobs. I will continue to fill orders and test/burn for personal use, but I can't even count on this for extra spending money anymore. I won't be doing the big open houses and shows/ parties this fall that I've done the previous years. With the costs of shipping and waxes and containers... I'd have to increase prices across the board, and people here have less to spend than they did last year. I'm just not comfortable this year with the risk of buying up things in advance of orders. In other words, show me the money... ;) Of course, for me the timing was OK for this as the baby is due the middle of October... I was ready for a slowdown this year. But the only sale I've made the last several months now was to a woman I know who doesn't want me to deliver her order and I suspect is avoiding me because she can't afford her items anymore. :rolleyes2 She ordered before she had surgery and then had complications and is out alot more money than she had planned. I feel for her, but in the meantime, I'm dragging her stuff around every time I'm *supposed* to see her. I'm calling Saturday to let her know that I'm dropping her stuff of THAT DAY (I'll be down the street for something else).

-Kristi

Kristi

Problem is she probably doesn't have the money to pay for the order. I am sure alot of people see the economy and wonder what will be next week be.As I mentioned in my other thread my husband work is thinking of closing( a meeting next week) and just a month ago some office workers were told (unannounced) to clean out their desks and leave. Bosses are not so nice about it. Well I guess they see them being next.

LynnS

Crazy thing is that if she would just tell me that, I'd work something out with her. It was a custom order and the likelihood of being able to resell (especially when she has been my ONLY order in MONTHS) is not very high. Instead, she's totally dodging me and when I offer to bring it by, she says no, that she'd rather just get it from me when she sees me... and then never sees me. I am very sympathetic, trust me. I just wish that she'd be honest about it. I've been VERY good about it, but my DH is getting tired of that dang bag being dragged around everywhere! Not to mention that he's my bookkeeper, so he's had the order in limbo since early April...

-Kristi

It was about 2 years ago I think that the sales were really slow. I know the areas are different and what the economy does affects all of us. I look at what happened about 2 years ago and we made a few changes. We had to grow our lines, find our niche and target what we were after. We've got our niche, by that what's in our products, now we're painstakingly expanding on it.

We took some time to study what people were looking at, since it really wasn't us and we started reorganizing to find the attraction so to speak.

I've approached the last three seasons with dread because of the shape of things -- high gas prices, product increases, overblown marketing bs, tighter pockets etc. My partner has always had a far more positive outlook than I have. While we're only four shows into the season, we've started taking another look of where we're going. Schedule conflicts caused us to stay out of about three shows, but we're making them up somewhere.

Sorry the outlook isn't the same elsewhere. When I'm talking small, people have been more inclined to buy something in the $3 range as opposed to higher. BUT we also offer discounts or a free item in promotions.

It's a lot of $3 range stuff to sell with some higher priced items moving too, but somehow we've picked up more business.

I have been looking hard at things too. I've found new suppliers for jars and wax that I can pick up. Even with high gas, it is still way less than shipping. I'm also looking at what has sold and what hasn't in the past and trying to learn from that. Big sales for some stuff phasing it out.

I was pleasantly surprised to get an email yesterday from the organizer of my biggest fall show. They are combining with another family event to hopefully attract more customers this year. Two advertising budgets should help some, too. The best part is since it is now a "first year show" they are refunding booth fees! And they moved the show to the following weekend. There is another big show that has always conflicted in the past and now I can do both. Econony or not, my prospects are looking up.

Scented, I'm curious about what kind of items you can sell in the $3 range? The only things I can get that low are air fresheners and wax melts--but the melts only sell to a select few who already have warmers.

Would appreciate any low-priced suggestions because I'm sure that would move better for us, too.

I know we've had to tighten the money belt partly due to me being off work for another 3 weeks since having my hysterectomy 3 weeks ago and now pneumonia. I've had to back out of a 3 day 4th of July festival that I was getting ready for. I had plenty of people willing to help set up and man the booth, but nobody to really help me produce the actual products. I had a few people who said they were waiting to see me there. Anyway, seems like talking to people, they are saving their money specifically to go to the festival (I know that's what I do to). It's just tradition to go there and shop, so I'm thinking I probably would've done reallyl well there. Our town started a farmer's market in May the first Sat. until November. The newspaper article said everyone has been pleased with their sales. It is not a typical farmer's market as they are allowing handmade crafts as well.I'm going to take what I have done already to the next market in July to see what happens. My mom belongs to a knitting group and those ladies are always out yarn shopping and she said just with conversing with them that people are getting back to the old fashioned things "crafting, sewing, crocheting, knitting" I think these things bring relaxation and stress relief. I also think with the candles and bath and body products that due to the "depression" of the slumping economy, people need to indulge themselves in something personal every once in awhile for a "pick me up".

Scented, I'm curious about what kind of items you can sell in the $3 range? The only things I can get that low are air fresheners and wax melts--but the melts only sell to a select few who already have warmers.

Would appreciate any low-priced suggestions because I'm sure that would move better for us, too.

Not Scented, but I would suggest votives, bath bombs, lip balms, cutting a bar of soap in half and packaging up "guest" size or "sample" size soaps, small MP novelty soaps, small sachets, small packs of bath salts, etc. All of the smaller stuff seems to do well when $$ is tight and most of those can be sold for at or under $3. Good luck to all, things seem like they are going to get worse before they are getting better. :cry2:

I've scaled way back and am considering dropping the gourmet coffee from my line altogether. I was going to do the flameless candles but am considering dropping those too. I'm still debating and the $ from selling the molds would come in handy right now. *sigh* I just hate guessing what the Holidays hold this year! :undecided

See asheebeans above lol. Smaller soaps is a good idea.

My thought, Alajane, is to start thinking sample sizes. Just read an article talking about companies streamlining and having to compete more for business with a tighter economy. While it doesn't sound like sample sizes would, for instance, make you money, they were saying that people are more inclined to buy and try and come back than to buy bigger sizes of unfamiliar products. Just a thought.

Adding ... from that article they were pointing at higher end retail, companies that send samples to magazines and through mailers etc. But they mentioned a business ordering 10,000 samples and reordering in a higher number (50,000 to 100,000 range if I remember right.) Travel sizes, take-it-with-yous ... and addictions tend to help find those products. I don't know where you're at, but we're not buying a slab of wax here and a slab of wax there or a pound of base oil here or anything under 8 oz of FO there ... (shouldn't even be buying 8 ozers, but had to scale down that need for larger -- the bigger is better mindset -- because of space limitations. Costs less to test and makes a difference in the end product.) (end of my addition)

My stuff is pretty much sample sized and it's under the $3 range that is moving more than the $6 range, but I'll also note that the $8 range is doing better than the $6 range now too. Wasn't the case near the end of last year.

That's very interesting that the $8 stuff is moving better than the $6 stuff now. I was curious about smaller items, because I only make container candles. I always have a display of 4-5 oz candles, thinking that people will want to try smaller ones, but I hardly sell any of those. I guess it's because the jars cost me as much or more than my jelly jars, so I can't price them as low as people would like.

Right now my 5-oz jars (which are just adorable!) are $4 and the 8-oz jelly jars are $5. I also have air fresheners and tart clamshells for $2.50, along with M&P soap for $3, but about 95% of my sales are jelly jars. But even with these low prices, sales have dropped in the last year--and I feel sure it's due to the economy.

Alajane,

I do understand just what you are saying.I have a 4 ounce JJ jar.THose things are much higher priced than my 8 ounce JJ.Can't get them from a supplier so go to WAL MART. I too always sell 8 ounce and the only way I would sell a 4 ounce if it was maybe $2.50. Can't make money that way. So all my candles are 8 ounce.I tried attractive larger jars for $8.00.NO Lookers. I do melts and car fresheners and think I will stock those this year since my 1 show in May only brought in $104.00.That was the biggest bummer and I always do good and it was a big show. I was noticing in past shows people couldn't walk in the walk areas but many many times there was no one walking past my area.I talked to others doing the show and they said the same thing.

I am going to try and get in a show in July.It is one where lots of people from out of state will be attending. Of course locals but so far they aren't buying.This may be a chance for sales IMO. There are a couple neighboring states with some good shows but would have to pay hotel and husband would have to take off working week-ends. THat would not be feasible.Don't want to risk losing money 2 ways.

I will sign up for the shows I think will be good and wish for the best. This year I was contemplating opening up a candle shop on our property. I know of 3 others in my area who do this. It would have to be more than candles etc.My goal is for some items.I know a lady who does good selling those.She also has candles and other products. Some of her products are wholesale and her daughter-in-law makes the candles from what I understand from other crafters. It will take alot more thinking of opening a shop at this point.

I know alot of people are doing good as far wages but the gas prices going to and from work and the groceries are still hard on people. Then you have heat and electric bills going up.That is why we will see $1.00-$3.00 items selling.

LynnS

OHIO.I met some people who came from KY to the show I did in May and they were very disappointed. One did candles and the other made barrettes and other things.Those were unique and pretty. We talked and were so amazed it was as bad as it was. That is their last time for that show(first and last) but the one lady did send me some info about another show 20 minutes from me I want to do.That is the out of state people. Now if I can get in. It might be full.

The hours are atrocious for this show.So how in the world if we all do bad will we want to stay 3 days for 12 hours each day. NO WAY.That is where it is going to be hard. Alot of contemplating.Why sit for those long hours and make almost nothing for 3 days.

I would imagine that the container market is harder to sell, honestly, but my thoughts are this if you're looking to try to get costs down (and I can't say it would work), but what about the wickless, smaller versions?

I'd almost suggest selling half stacks, but that would be in line with pillars and I'm not sure how that could be converted to container.

If you guys are getting/using the cute ball containers from Wal-Mart, don't. They're too expensive really. Hard to resist, but well ...

There's got to be a hook in there somewhere. I will say that I have seen people who offered potpourri be able to draw more attention to their booth because the women couldn't ignore the smell. Maybe find a way to make your booth really smelly in a good way.

If you have an opportunity to draw attention to yourself, do it. I'd encourage you to maybe read the book Fish. It talks about changes that a company makes to revive itself. Not saying that's what you need, but it might give you an idea of what could be done. Sounds like you need a way to get the people on the walks and at least coming your way. We've had those shows before too and it's discouraging. That show happened to move off cement and into grass and thrived this year just in the middle of all the recession hoopla. Maybe it's the time of the year or the way to approach people. Just find a way to make them come to you, even if someone hands out samples in a high traffic area or business cards with a show special on it or you get where I'm going right?

I know this is probably a dumb question, but what are half stacks?

Your comment about drawing people in addresses an issue I've been arguing with my son about. He says since my market is almost entirely jelly jars, I should stick to only that and not bother with the other items. But I contend that the prettier jars and displays bring people to my table, then they look at (and often buy) the jelly jars.

I always put some unusual containers (seasonal if I have them) on the front table and people passing by comment on them and often go from there to the jelly jars. So I'm afraid to just use "the old standby" because it seems that my display would be so plain!

I already have some beautiful Christmas containers I bought at 75% off last year--I probably won't sell many of them, but they'll sure make a nice display!

I only to B&B and I am doing far better at the farmer's market then online. As a matter of fact my sales at the market are the same as they were last year so that is good. I think I do better at the market because there is a clientelle there that believes they NEED handcrafted soap. Online I have more lush-like groupies who it is a luxury product. But I am taking steps to scale back. I have cut out my lotions because they were my high price items and I HATE making lotion. I did have a few fanatics over my lotion, but they weren't worth the headache of making it. (cleaning crazy and being completely germophobic during the whole process was very stressful to me!)

So scaling back has been a blessing to me in that I don't have to make lotions anymore! I still sell shea and lotion bars well though. Bath bombs are only good sellers online and at craft shows.

I think I will try half bars. My 5 + oz bars are $5.00 or 4/$18 right now (really should be more) and I think I will sell halves for $3.00 or 2/$5 and see how that goes. Currently at the market my highest priced item is my large lotion bar at $8.50 and the lowest price is my clearance soaps at $3.00 or 2/$5.

I know this is probably a dumb question, but what are half stacks?

It's what I turn my leftover wax into ... about 2 inch tall candles. Thing is they can be mini pillars or they are small enough sometimes to turn into a tart wheel. If I wick them, they're half stacks. For you, maybe it becomes a partially filled jar you can sell for less. I can't answer that one though. Maybe it becomes a tin instead. I can't answer that one.

Your comment about drawing people in addresses an issue I've been arguing with my son about. He says since my market is almost entirely jelly jars, I should stick to only that and not bother with the other items. But I contend that the prettier jars and displays bring people to my table, then they look at (and often buy) the jelly jars.

Not having seen your display ... what's your proof that you are right in what you say? Besides this ...

I always put some unusual containers (seasonal if I have them) on the front table and people passing by comment on them and often go from there to the jelly jars.

And what happens if you give your boy's idea a chance and try it at a show?

What I'm asking is, they could be attention getters, but are they buying? You shouldn't have to fix up the window so to speak to attract them to buy something else. I see his point, in other words. When I walk by (and this is by no means a fair comparison because I'm not shopping, I'm scoping) a table with say a variety of jar candles on display here's what goes through my mind.

1) OK. Here's an experimenter, which means newbie to me or someone who recycles glass, so no thanks.

2) Wonder if they're testing or just tossing in a wick and going with it. Should I look?

3) Maybe.

4) Can I smell anything?

5) No. Oh wait, what's that label say? What's the fragrance?

6) I may stop and sniff on my way back or I may go ahead, pick it up and sniff. If I do the later, I'm looking to see if there's something showing me how the candle burns. Usually there's just someone sitting down who doesn't bother to greet.

7) On exit, hmm how pretty those jars are.

Now keep in mind that my mother did the same thing to me when she came to check out displays a long time ago. I don't follow the advice any more, because we offer to many products, but this might help you more.

Show them how they can use your products in an arrangement. You have x-amount of competitors right? (I view container people to be more competitive than others and maybe that's a bad assessment, but there are so many of you out there.) To get them to come to you, tempt them either through sight, smell or taste (not taste as in lip smacking taste though, but as in design, decor -- showing them ways they can use your product in their homes ... i.e. those lamp things or in an arrangement etc.)

If what they see appeases the eye, then wouldn't what they smell draw them in more? Or if they could smell you before they got to you, they might follow their nose to get to you. I really don't think that jars on display with lids open really offer a smell someone picked up even four tents down. There's your chance for potpourri to draw people to you. Or say you scent your business cards ... there's a way for people to find you (make it a universally appealing scent though lol if you do it.)

Once you can attract the people to you then your product should do the rest. Maybe you have a sample candle you burn. I know there's a person who had a large jar ... has about 10-15 wicks in it (it's that large) and she burns it at indoor shows. You can pick up the scent the minute you walk through that entrance and women will flock to scent, right?

So I'm afraid to just use "the old standby" because it seems that my display would be so plain!

Not saying you have too!

I already have some beautiful Christmas containers I bought at 75% off last year--I probably won't sell many of them, but they'll sure make a nice display!

Not sure when your show season starts, but get them out in August ... OK that would probably help you here lol, but I keep trying to have something in August because people are looking at that time.

When I walk by (and this is by no means a fair comparison because I'm not shopping, I'm scoping) a table with say a variety of jar candles on display here's what goes through my mind.

1) OK. Here's an experimenter, which means newbie to me.

Scented, that's an interesting comment. because when I pass a table with only one type of candle, I assume they're just starting out and haven't experimented with other containers. So since we're seeing that from opposite directions, I hope other people post their opinions on that, too.

As far as drawing people in by smell, I agree totally! If a show offers electricity, I bring a candle warmer so I won't have to have a flame. When I don't have electricity, I usually put a candle or tart warmer inside a large hurricane (for protection) and set it away from the customer area to get the scent "out there." People usually comment that they "smelled me across the park."

I also like your suggestion of getting out my Christmas candles in August. My biggest show is Labor Day weekend, and I usually have one table devoted to Halloween displays (and worry that's a little early), but I've never done Christmas at that show. I'll try that this year. After all, Hobby Lobby already has Christmas decor displayed!

Thanks for your suggestions,

Jane

A GM plant is closing in my state as some other GM plants in 3 other states. This is not good at all. The last show I did was bad and now this makes things worse.:sad2:

I guess the only way I will do good is if I get on-line orders.

LynnS

Same here in Canada. Big GM plant in Ontario is closing. 2500 workers out of a job