Economy

LynnS

I'm so sorry to hear about those plant closings. I'm so worried about the plight of young families with the current economy! My son changed jobs last December, going from an office job 2 miles from his home to a position involving door-to-door sales (until he gets his clientele established), so with the price of gas it's now costing him over $100/week, plus his family's groceries have gone up about 35%.

My DH is disabled and we can't help them much, and I know they're only one of many families in difficult situations. I just don't know how today's young families will manage--it was hard enough for us 35 years ago but it's all just overwhelming now!

This has been an interesting read. I'm getting ready for a craft show this weekend.

I've only done two so far (this one will be my third), so I can't really say I know what to expect at my show. But, I did significantly better at my second one. I had a lot more items and there were various price points. My cheapest product was lip balms (I also did a 3 for with those). I also had some single votives and 8oz container candles. So, yeah-- 3 products! :) But, I did well! I got a lot of people commenting on the smell and they were able to pick things up and take a whiff and I had the votives out in holders so they could pick it up and smell and also see the pretty wax (I do palm).

BUT, what I will say that I knowingly changed other than my table setup.... Bring a smile with you. It's incredible what a change in your attitude can bring! My first show I was so tired I couldn't see straight. I didn't talk much and only answered questions if I was asked. The second time I made it a point to at least make eye contact and say hello with a great big smile as people walked in/by.

I also bring things with me to do so that people can feel free to browse. Looking at my own shopping habits I really hate it when people are watching me. I don't feel I can comfortably look at the items I may be interested and it's a turn off for me. So having something to do lets people browse without the 'obligation' to stop and look if that makes sense.

Anyhow, just thought I'd add to the discussion. Maybe it might spark some new ideas or cause us to take a look at more than just the product and its presentation. ;)

Just curious--for Jadewicks and anyone else with ideas--what kind of things do you bring to do? I know NOT to have my nose in a book! I think it should be something that people won't feel like they're being an interruption.

I agree with your analysis of your own shopping habits. I do feel pressure to buy when the booth owner initiates contact with me, but I don't know if it's a "Southern girl" thing or what--it just seems rude not to speak to the people who stop at your booth. But I can't count the number of people who have spoken back to me and then left, so I know I have to break that "nasty habit" of being polite!!

I don't bring anything else either or if I do, I'm behind a display sneaking a read lol. But if someone comes in, they are greeted, some comment about the show or festival, a quicky about the products, if they have any questions please feel free to ask and point out the sample they can use and leave them alone, busying ourselves doing something else in the booth, which could be a restock or just straightening something.

I've only done one show (back in May) and it was less than a raging success, so I'm not sure I'm much help there. But I've done OK with online orders, and something that I think has helped is participation in sample boxes like the Little Black Box (http://www.thelittleblackboxes.com) and participation in various forums online (most notably the Lush Cosmetics forum, which has a section where people can talk about companies other than Lush that they like). Word of mouth can be a beautiful thing, and there are women out there who will buy your products if they've tried them and like them, or if other women recommend them. And some kind of hook helps - I did a 40% off sale for my 40th birthday, and I now have more orders than I can shake a stick at. Some small orders, but a couple of big ones, too - if I weren't still new enough that most of the money I bring in goes right back into the business, I'd have made a pretty good contribution to our household. I also advertise on Wickedly Chic and a couple of parenting boards I'm on, and I have a Facebook page, and I think that helps as well. I think the most important thing we can do, especially with times as tight as they are, is find ways to get our names out there and get the word spread about what we make and what we do. If people like what you offer, they'll buy, and they'll talk, and others will follow suit. The sample boxes and the online advertising/word of mouth gets my name out to a lot more people than my one show did (the weather wasn't all that and the turnout was fairly pitiful), and that's what it takes. That being said, I'm also not raising prices where some other e-tailers are, and I think that's helping me a bit, too.

In response to your question Alajane, I bring things like my paper cutter so I can cut more candle safety pamphlets. I give one out for every purchase, but I'm thinking I'm going to just put them in an acrylic holder this time so people can pick one up if they like. I have safety labels on my candles, but I also have proper burning procedures as well as some tips on getting the best burn from their candle(s).

I tend to make quite a few things from paper, so I just bring that along too. I'm still debating on whether or not I'm going to continue to make my own tart bags. But, just crafty stuff is what I bring along to work on while I'm passing the time in between customers.

It sounds like you've got a pretty sound marketing plan bunkie! I have a notebook of all the things I'm going to EVENTUALLY do, haha but doing is another story! I have biz cards I hand out at my show and I don't even have my website up and done yet. Right now I'm just doing shows every 3 months. I just wish I had more time in a day to get things done. But, of course, I'm giving excuses. I'm the type that literally has to pencil in a "To Do" list anytime I want to make sure something gets done. My mind wanders and I can't trust it to remember to get even the simplest things done (and ON TIME!). lol