Free shipping option - does it increase sales?

ebcandles

I was reading an online article which indicated that 63 percent of online retailers will offer free shipping option to gain sales this holiday season.

So, my question is, has anyone offered free shipping during the holidays? Does it really lure more people to your site? And as a shopper yourself, would you change your mind and not purchase an item if you found out a site did not offer free shipping?

I don't understand the concept of FREE shipping. If I were to offer free shipping I would lose my butt big time, no matter how big the order. Especilly (sp) on large heavy weight items like jar candles.

Most everybody I order from charges shipping, then some S&H, and then others like QVC & HSN charge S&H & Tax.

I'm to small of a business and can't afford to lose that kind of money.

Free shipping gets me ONLY if it's something I really want. I don't order something because of a free shipping offer-but that's just me. It may work for some! I offer flat rate shipping and that seems to work really well for me.

If I was buying exactly the same product online and I could get it from a company with free shipping then I would buy it from that company. I don't feel like candles fall into this as you can't get exactly the same ones from someone else. I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

It might work better if you offer free shipping if they purchase at least a certain minimum amount, say $50. If not what is to stop them from just ordering one candle from you?!

I think some places that offer free shipping regularly would factor shipping costs into their prices so that they don't lose money. But I'm not sure how to do that because then my local customers would be penalized with the higher prices, and yet it's awkward having 2 sets of prices.

I offer free shipping 2 times a year. The middle of February and the end of October. Minimum purchase $30 for parcel post shipping. This time I got $385 in orders..several didnt even make the minimum but they came and shopped anyway. I mailed out all my orders today and it cost me $34.50 to ship all the boxes.

Worked for me :)

I have also tried flat rate shipping like the $5 shipping sale..it is like 1/2 price shipping and it worked great too!

I do the free shipping with $50.00 min order, twice a year. And it does increase sales for out of state customers, for sure. But to just offer free shipping with no minimums would kill me.

I know if I am buying, free shipping gets me every time! :grin2:

I've done this and YES, it definitely was a lure. I got a lot of sample-sized orders in the times that I simply made free shipping, no matter the order size.

My favorite free shipping, though, is $25 or more. Then at least you are making some profit. I also suggest a time frame as well. If it is just simply free shipping, people seem to put it off or even miss the boat. If I make it a week-long thing (maybe send out notice prior to the event), there is a flurry of orders. Be prepared!! ;)