Easiest mold lining?

MissMary

I did a search and see all the available ideas, but my question is:

Which lining is best to work with for a newbie for CP? I'm going to be using a sturdy cardboard box. I didn't see any actual reviews of what's better versus the other.

I'm not looking for purdiness at this point, just easy to use, hard to tear type of stuff that'll be a bit forgiving.

TIA! :grin2:

I prefer butcher paper and can actually get a few uses from each lining. Here is a mold lining tutorial that might be helpful for you. If your DH is handy with tools and wood, he might be able to make you a fairly simple wood log mold.

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=bathandbody;action=display;num=1088130010;start=0

ETA - some use mylar that can be purchased at fabric stores. Investing in a good mold is worth the money.

Pringles cans can also be used as a quick and easy, no line mold.

I don't have the patience to remove the paper carefully - so I don't get to re-use it.

Amen sistah! LOL I rip that sucker off the soap like it's a Christmas present I've been waiting all year for. LMAO I never get to re-use mine either. But I've gotten to where I can go from cutting the amount I need to being finished lining in under 45 seconds. :)

It is worth it IMO to take your time unmolding so that you can re-use that liner. That way you are not having to cut and refit a new liner every time and you might save a tree in the process. lol I have to admit that I am spoiled as DH lines my molds for me.

I normally line with parchment paper, but I think I'm getting ready to switch. I hate lining molds, and I'd rather have something that's reusable. Yesterday I bought a sheet of mylar to try out, but I haven't cut it to fit my mold yet. And the next time I go to Hobby Lobby, I'm going to get some of those craft foam sheets. From the posts I've read, it works extremely well.

I use mylar to line my slab mold and freezer paper for my log, but I just need to get some more mylar for the log!

Steph

I recently purchased the FCS B&B mold set and it has mylar to line it with. I love the mylar and now want to get some for my log mold but I'm not sure if my mold will leak. I have one that the sides come down to make it easier t remove the soap.

• 3 weeks later...
I use mylar to line my slab mold and freezer paper for my log, but I just need to get some more mylar for the log!

Steph

I have only seen mylar on the internet - haven't seen or touched - do you cut and fold it like freezer paper, or do you cut it in pieces like the foam sheets?:wave:

I've heard of people folding it, but it was hard for me to get a sharp crease. I use a combination of Mylar and freezer paper to line my log mold. I cut Mylar squares to exactly fit the end caps of the mold and cut a strip of freezer paper the exact length of the mold and line the long sides that way (one strip wide enough to cover the bottom and sides and hang over the top edges a little). My mold doesn't come apart for easy removal, so I use a "sling" made of soft, thin fabric as a helper handle. I cut a strip off an old pillowcase about 4" wide and run it across the bottom center of the mold before putting in the freezer paper. That probably sounds confusing, so visualize the piece of ribbon you sometimes see in the battery compartment of remote controls, etc. to help lift the batteries out; works the same way.

Heat resistant mylar, look for it in quilting shops or even regular fabric stores like Jo-Ann.

It can be glued to your mold, cut to fit each side.

For easier removal make a second liner for your bottom, just don't glue that one down.

I've always used the foamies craft sheets, because I can re-use them. I bought some freezer paper the other day and I'm really hating it lol. Hopefully it will get better ;)

I've got a couple of packs of this stuff just waiting for that special project....you know....that one that will probably never get made!

Well I think I've got a good use for some of it now & I can wipe it down & re-use it...not something I've managed with the silicone paper I usually use.

Sally.