Kumquat, Sand Verbena et al

I soap with a veggie and lard combo, oils and lye around 90. From left to right:

1. Kumquat from OT&L - this scent is really strong. It has a tartness to it but not like a lemony puckery ( know that is not a word lol) type tartness. soaped with. Wonderful to soap - No A&D. I used 1 oz ppo.

2. Sand Verbena from OT&L - I just unmolded this one so I can't comment on how well the scent will hold but so far, it is pretty strong. I used 1 oz ppo. I'm not sure if I like this scent or not. It does have that kind of tanning oil type scent to it but not the coconuty tanning oil scent. I just think of the lake and the sand. No discoloration so far but I did add yellow POP to the base of the soap and swirled in black mica. It looks blue but it really isn't. I did have just a wee bit of A though but nothing too bad.

3. Jonquil Le Fleur from SS - wonderfully behaved, plenty of time to play. This is a nice floral scent that so far is holding well. I embedded pieces of round soap through this batch.

4. OT& L Jasmine Mint - unmolded. I did cut back on this one but really could have gone up to 1 oz PPO - I used .50ppo. It is very light and hard to pick up what is more of the predominant scent.

5. SS Bacchus - I don't think I like this scent but it did soap nicely. It has a sharp woody note to it that I don't care for. Colored with the yellow, orange pop colors and the top is colored with black mica. There are soap chunks embedded.

6. Scented with SS Lemongrass & Sage. Another FO that behaved well for me. I usually try to make these soaps look rustic but I did not want that with this batch. I was pleased at how it turned out.

7. GL Leather and Lace - I did a reverse swirl in these which actually turned out. First time for everything I guess.

8. OT&L Blueberry Honeysuckle - this scent combination works well together and the FO soaped wonderfully. It hard to tell which scent is the strongest. I pick them up equally.

Thanks for looking.

post-121-139458447018_thumb.jpg

post-121-139458447022_thumb.jpg

post-121-139458447025_thumb.jpg

post-121-139458447028_thumb.jpg

post-121-139458447031_thumb.jpg

post-121-139458447033_thumb.jpg

post-121-139458447036_thumb.jpg

post-121-139458447038_thumb.jpg

oh they all look beautiful! Love that Sand Verbena! :yay: Love your walls by the way!!! :grin2: Is that pine?

I believe they are made of pine. It was originally suppose to look like a log cabin but the landlord changed his mind and put this tongue in groove wood up. On the other side of that wall is actually my office in my shop. The bldg. my shop is in is over 100 years old so the exterior walls are solid brick.

I really like the look of 5, but what don't you like of the scent? I haven't tried it and don't have it, but had some curiosity about it. Are you dropping soap balls or halves into the log to get that look?

The soaps look great and I'm sure they are!

I really like the look of 5, but what don't you like of the scent? I haven't tried it and don't have it, but had some curiosity about it. Are you dropping soap balls or halves into the log to get that look?

The soaps look great and I'm sure they are!

I am not caring for the scent of the Bacchus because there is some very sharp woody, smoky note I'm picking up that is not pleasing to me at all. I tend to like earthy, woody scents but I think this one needs something to tone it down. This one might mix well with lavender I'm thinking. Maybe even a citrus?

I am embedding other soap pieces in them. I've been experimenting with this look. I've been taking toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls, or any kind of round something I can pour into and rubber banding saran wrap on the ends and pouring any left over soap into them as I am soaping. When they are full, I rip the paper off and end up with a small "tube" of soap that is many different colors. Some of them I just laid in my log mold and poured my soap mixture over. Other's I've cut up and dropped in. Each soap looks different from the next and can even look different from one side to the next.

The Bacchus one though I did use a larger round "mold" for the insert. I used a can that had once had some instant cappuccino drink in it. I have the Uplands round mold and may try this one sometime but it might be too large. The one I used in the Bacchus was larger than I wanted so I cut it in half.

Next I want to make a black soap with a whitish blue round soap that is embedded and some white soap shavings sprinkled around. I'm hoping the round mold will look the moon and soap shavings will look like stars. What do you think? Any advice?

All of them look fantastic, but I also am partial to #5. Also love the look of OT& L Jasmine Mint. I see a fish in the second row, left hand bar. It's white with a purple gill line. :laugh2:

As always, Meridith, your soaps are beautiful and I know your customers will love them!