Potted meat anyone??

My try at salt bars. All was going terrific until I put the FO in. Oxygen. I swear I saw it starting to get right in my pot as soon as I poured it in. I gave it a quick stir to spread the scent some, quickly grabbed my spoon of beautiful deep SKY BLUE coloring, dropped it in and had to stab the soap with the spoon to mix it :mad: Keep in mind, I haven't even begun to add the salt yet :laugh2: Bound and determined to finish what I started and thanking heaven that my big plastic spoon is very heavy duty, I chopped and mixed and chopped and mixed, all the while watching my blue turn pink. Ok, so the color is mostly mixed... good enough. I grabbed the salt and dumped it in too. My arm was exhausted but I got it mixed in! Ok, mostly anyway...lol. My hands were burning from holding the pot while stirring. It was as hot as my pitcher gets right after pouring the lye in! Just HOW MANY things can go wrong at once? LOL. If I didn't know better, I'd swear I had a bowl full of potted meat. So I hald spooned, half shook chunks into the mold, beat it down with my heavy duty spoon and sprinkled some more salt on top. I tried to make a pattern on top but it was so blasted hard nothing showed...lol.

I'm guessing super acceleration and overheating. Maybe soap, maybe not :laugh2:

Maybe I'll go back to candles for a while :grin2:

post-27-139458446974_thumb.jpg

Satin, they look better than any salt bar I've ever "tried" to make. ROFL! I can NOT get those bad boys do do a thing, tried three times and gave up! heehee

As for the color though, I am betting I can help there. Did you use an FD&C blue dye? They are not stable in CP and in fact that is what I use to get from a lavender to a purple shade as the color morphs to all beat heck! lol To get a true blue color try ultramarine blues...they work every time :)

Good stab at it though! They don't look bad..and they certainly look better than the SLOP I get, mine never even turn to soap! sniff sniff I would take another myself, those really are not that bad. :)

As for the color though, I am betting I can help there. Did you use an FD&C blue dye? They are not stable in CP and in fact that is what I use to get from a lavender to a purple shade as the color morphs to all beat heck! lol To get a true blue color try ultramarine blues...they work every time :)

I've tried the food colorings before and know they turn, but these colorings are pretty new to me. I started to say "nope, they're Essentials by Catalina" then I went and looked. Those are just the FD&C in a dextrose base...LOL. The green morphed orange on me, but I had never tried the blue. Now I know...lol

Thanks for the kind words ya'll! It really helps keep the courage up to try things again. The colors are really very pretty now and the bars look a bit better now that they're cleaned up. Many of them still have chunks that fell out and a few have soap blobs that got no color or salt mixed in, but all in all, not bad :grin2:

Satin Ducky

I try to get my color darker than what I want because once you add the salt it seems to eat the color. I add my salt at light trace and then slowing incorporate it into the soap batter and add my fragrance last if it is too light I can always add more color. Email me if you have any questions I am sorry you had a fragrance that accelerates fast but the bars look great!!!:yay:

Barbara

Ya know, it never dawned on me to add the FO after the salt. Then again, I've never seen anything move that fast! LOL :eek:

I really wanted to try making swirls on top like yours! I apparently don't have the whisk masher thingy anymore but it didn't really matter. I tried using my tater masher for water lines and even that wouldn't dent the top :laugh2:

Ducky, even though they didn't turn out the color you wanted, and the other problems you battled, they look pretty good from here! And yes, like Barb said, add the fo last. I can't wait to see your next batch!

Ducky~ That's the BEST looking Potted meat I've ever seen! YUM!!:drool: ~No Really, Those are really kewl and I love the colors!! I think they turned out to be amazing, I like the way they are speckled with colors, If nothing else they are pretty!! Count me in if you need a tester!