wicks coming loose as I pour the wax

I'm having a little trouble with the glue dots staying stuck to the bottom of the container... Does anyone know why they are coming loose as I pour the wax? I use the glue dots from genwax and the metal bottom wicks of course..I press really hard, the bottom of the glass was clean. Wax wasn't too hot. I finally got one to stick but the first two came right off and it was a pain in the butt. Is this something that happens usually or unually..?

Thanks

Rhonda

Guest LightofDawn

Hi Rhonda,

I tried the glue dots once with no success. I found that the wick stickers worked alot better. I get the ones at www.thecandlemakersstore.com. I am pretty sure someone els carries them too but I can't for the life of me think who it is right now. I have never had one of these come loose.

And I use a high temperature silicone caulk. Works great, cures fairly quickly, comes in a tube, seals the wick off at the bottom so it can't suck up the wax from underneath (fire hazard), and is at ANY hardware store with no shipping.

-Kristi

I agree, GE clear silicone caulk is the best. You can use with a caulking gun or get it by the tube. Last a very long time cause you only use a small amount.

No glue dots for me either. WICK STICKERS, and not BC's.They are on a roll. And very hard to get off. Starrville, Wix and Wax in Texas carry them. The Candlemaker Store is who sells them to the other suppliers. Also, he gets some that are messed up. When he does you can get 1000's of them for little of nothing. I love it. And they still work. :yay:

Glue dots, as others have pointed out and you have discovered, are NOT useful for attaching sustainer bases to containers.

For testing purposes, high-temp hot glue works well for me, but for items to sell or give as gifts, I use High-Temp gasketmaker from Autozone. I have never had a failure using that but have had many with hot glue, wick stickers, etc. The problem is that when the heat softens the adhesive material enough, it will allow the wick to pull liquid wax from underneath, defeating the safety feature of a sustainer base (which is to extinguish the candle when the wick burns down to the top of the metal). The second problem is that if the adhesive lets go completely, the sustainer base can move when the candle becomes liquid and the wick can "wander" (because of the convection currents in the hot wax) and end up on the side of the container, causing a major safety hazard.

When making candles for use by anyone other than yourself, you must assume that they are idiots and try to make a product that is reliably safe. Product liability is a very real issue with candlemaking and is why we not only have to make safe products, but to carry product liability insurance in case we are sued by a customer who believes our candle caused a problem.