ambient temp for making candles

Okay i saw a thread in my citronella search about someone testing candles while trying to keep the house cool without AC.

Brings me to my question, i'm thinking of moving the operation out to my unheated, unAC, uninsulated garage. I can get a heater and put in a window unit, but i know it'll still be hot in the summer and cold in the winter when not running the heater.

Is there a no-no zone temp wise to make candles? IE freezing temps in the winter and 100+ 90% humidity in the summer?

I can store finished candles in the house when done....

Aaron -- I don't think anyone can answer that for you because we're all working in different environments. I know that I canNOT leave my window cracked open in the spring/fall when I have candles cooling because they will crack (circle crack, too!). But in the summertime it is all good. Your blend may react differently in heat/cool weather than mine, but in general you are probably going to have to do some level of temperature control. I think you're just going to have to try it and see.

I have heard that large candle companies have what they call "warm rooms" and that temp is about 85 degrees. It also depends on what kinds of candles you are making. Some are very finicky some aren't. Some waxes crack.....some don't. I think that that the addition of certain additives helps to correct temperature problems, but you can't use those additives to achieve all kinds of candles. Yep....it is experiment time. I found that adding some beeswax to my hurricanes and orbs keeps them from cracking. Micro helps too....but when I want a clear wax... and jewel tones.....then only thing I add is stearic acid. But isn't this fun??????????? Donita

I think whatever temp you choose, the air should be still - not a breath of draft - and the temperature should be pretty even from day to night. Beyond that, choose a temp in the middle of the storage temp recommended for your wax.

However, some of us have wide fluctuations in our climates, so you have to cope. In my neck of the woods, I have a spring/summer formula and a fall/winter one for some of my container candles. I do not often ship outside the deep south so it works out okay. Your situation might be different...

Besides, you KNOW you look GOOD in that lab coat...

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

IMO, there is no best ambiant temp for making candles. I work in my basement, and, summer or winter, the temp there is cool. I'm guessing 65 +/- 2 degrees-never checked. I've never noticed a difference in any of the operations summer or winter, but I do put my candles in an insulated cooling box to set up. They are still warm in the AM, about 8 hours after pouring. I believe that slow cooling is as important as any other operation I perform during the process.

If you heat/air condition your garage, and it's comfotrable enough to work in, you should be fine.

Fredron

Put it smack in front of the air conditioner! :laugh2:

you laugh but I do have to turn a fan on that blows directly on the molds in the summer....and my work table is right under the A/C vent too but doesn't always help :mad:

My workroom is "outside" in the lanai. I can't speak for how cold you can have your workroom because I won't work in temps below 60-65 (very cold for me) but I routinely pour candles at 95 degrees with 95% humidity and have no problems at all. I do containers with 4630 wax and also melts. When it is cool outside, I cool the finished product either in the house, in a styrofoam cooler, or even in the oven that was turned off. (Yes, I have a stove in the lanai). My guess is you would need some heat in the winter, but for summer, just consider your own comfort. I usually try to work early in the morning in the summer to help beat the heat and I have a big ceiling fan, which helps. Greetings from sunny Florida where we are already at 90 every day.... :cool2:

I think whatever temp you choose, the air should be still - not a breath of draft - and the temperature should be pretty even from day to night. Beyond that, choose a temp in the middle of the storage temp recommended for your wax.

However, some of us have wide fluctuations in our climates, so you have to cope. In my neck of the woods, I have a spring/summer formula and a fall/winter one for some of my container candles. I do not often ship outside the deep south so it works out okay. Your situation might be different...

Besides, you KNOW you look GOOD in that lab coat...

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

HUH? Are you serious?

Glad I live in Vegas!

Ok, I'm gonna toss my :2cents: in here. My "shop" in the garage. No heat or A/C built in. Though I do have the insulation up about half way around now...lol

Late Jan I can't do much out there, even with my big kerosene heater going. Ok, sometime I can do a little bit at a time in the warmest part of the day. It's usually 45 - 50 out there with the heater. Rustics work great but I can't do marbles. Remember I'm a pillar person here...lol. I dress warm and only stay out there about an hour at a time.

Summer, it's early to mid August. Hot enough to choke a horse. I keep the windows open and the big door up with floor fans going. (My FO's get moved in the house to a cooler storage room by early June... geeez...it's almost time already!) Even with circulation my time is limited to an hour or so at a time. I usually play late at night so I wont have to worry about a heat stroke though. Now, marbles work great and without a bucket of ice water and/or trips to my fridge I couldn't get a rustic for the life of me.

The good news is that even though I have to adjust my methods and amount of play time in the extreme temps, it doesn't change my formulas any. Then again, that's primarily do to my waxes and the types of candles I do :grin2:

HUH? Are you serious?

About what? That I change my formulas twice during the year? Or that folks look great in lab coats?

One of the products I make is soy-based container candles and the environment makes a big difference in both pouring and burning the candles, depending on whether it's hot as hades and so muggy you can cut the atmosphere with a knife or cold and wet. I live in a relatively extreme environment most of the time and this works out very well for me. Las Vegas is a very different climate from the gulf south. :)

Yes I know, I lived on Galveston Island (in case you don't know, it's in Texas.."Gulf South") for many years. In all honesty, I've never done all the tempering or wahtnot that you're talking about. I've never had to, no matter where we've lived.

Having said that, I'll add this..I may have gotten confused in the wordy reply. Sometimes keeping it simple really is best. ;)

Especially for us "noobs".

Having said that, I'll add this..I may have gotten confused in the wordy reply. Sometimes keeping it simple really is best. ;)

Especially for us "noobs".

Trust me, being a "noob" has nothing to do with it. Many of us oldtimers don't get it, either!

roflmao.gif

I'm glad I make 50/50 candles and live in the northeast. I could not be bothered, especially with large orders of tempering, retempering, heating glassware, insulating, using a fan/air conditioner, sweating my butt off in 95 degree heat with 85% humidity for the sake of a candle.

I love my simplistic approach.

In the 10 years I've been working with soy, I've never had to temper, re-temper, adjust my work shop temperature, put candles in boxes, heating glassware, don't breathe on my candles, etc., If I had to go through that, I'd quit the business and buy them.

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure how many candles we could produce in a day if we did them like that. Seriously, it's not rocket science, it's just candle making. Yeah, there's quirks with some things, but for anyone just starting out you DONT have to do all this. Just wanted to clarify.

To those who do nothing special and make perfect candles, I suspect that you have a natural knack for your medium which many people do not possess and I am happy things work so well for you. When people ARE having problems it is not helpful to tell them you have never had a problem... that's no answer to their difficulties. Some folks don't do anything they regard as special; others do the hula and flatulate (that's a big word for "pass gas" in case you didn't know) - to each his own. I respect anyone's methods so long as they produce good candles. I feel no need to ridicule another's point of view or opinions because I realize that my way is not THE way - it simply works for me. No ego necessary.