Why am I getting cracks?

Been adding b/w at 3% for a month or so, melting separately and then adding to each batch. This last batch, added it to my Presto along with the wax, at a rate of 3%, almost exactly. I double and triple checked my calculations, so I think I'm not going above 3%.

Now, I've got some beautiful, smooth tops, but I've got cracks across the tops. Argh. What's up?

Straight EZ Soy, no dye, 3% b/w heat to 175, add FO, pour at filmy stage. Let me know if my calc are off: 10 pounds EZ to 5 oz b/w. Thanks!

Not to be a nitpicker :grin2: but it would be 4.8 oz BW to 10 lb soy. However, that extra 0.2 oz isn't going to do that, IMO or it would have happened by now. Possibly any environmental changes in your work area? Maybe using a different BW from a different supplier? I never know if BW is BW, or if it differed slightly from one supplier to another. Would the cracking be when using the same FO or different ones? HTH :smiley2:

If you are getting cracks, I would try going down to 2%. I think the weather and temperature inside and out have an effect on the candles. I usually use 4%, but back down to 3% when I start running the heat in the house, because it makes some of them crack at 4%.

Yes, 4.8% is the exact amount, but I just figured that I could round up. I know it sounds silly, but I'm wondering if that tiny push to 3.1% has made the difference or not. THere's something to be said for nitpicking, LOL!

I think I will back down to 2-2.5% and that's probably going to solve the problem. I'm just irritated because it's premixed in my Presto and now I have to create more work for myself. I'm so good at that. :mad:

Well, I should quit bitching. I'm actually tense about it b/c I'm meeting with a rep from a permanent showroom at Dallas Market and I want everything to be absolutely PERFECT, so I'm completely on edge. *breathe*

I don't know if this will help you guys but. Since I got my presto pot I was getting cracks in my pillars after they set up. I talked to my distributer about it. He said presto pots do not have accurate thermometers and even though they say it is below 200 degrees it may not be the case. I tested his theory and found out he was very correct. When the dial was set at about 180, my digital read well over 200. Point being, that the overheating was causing the cracks. My last batch I didn't let get over 180 and I didn't have one crack. Just a thought to consider if this could be your issue too. :smiley2: Plus I have also heard that overheating can make container wax more dry too.

I would never trust the thermostat on the presto pot. I also have 2 pots that both heat to different temps. when set just below 200 degrees. That is why I use a probe thermometer in them. I had been using candy thermometers, 3 of them. I had been getting some bubbles in my wax, which affected my wax set up, so I tested them and all 3 of them gave me different readings :confused:

D, we must be living paralleled lives - how 'come every time I have a problem, I come on here to see what to do, and you are going through the same thing! I always pick up on your messages, because you always seem to have the same problems as I am every time. I should just look for all of your threads.

I have had more problems this week than I have ever had. What the heck is going on!! Everything I made this week is cracking, frosting, airholes so big that they rival the BIG DIG...what a crappy week.

I think that from now on, I will wait to see what is going on with you before I even measure a pound, then I can read how to fix it before I ruin another 4 lbs of wax! It's like a fore-shadowing of things to come.

I sure hope we have a better week...sooooon!

Yeah, it's the pressure...me too.....but breathe...not me, everytime I breathe, another hole appears!! I'm holding my breath.

Hope all works out for you. ;)

Fern-Marie, you just make me laugh. Out loud. Like a big dork.

I backed off the b/w, and that helped, but then it got hot and humid again, so then I needed the 3% again, and as soon as I got that perfect, we got a cool front today and 7 pounds of candles that I poured today got cracks again.

:mad:

I think the 2.5% is the safest percentage - but don't quote me on that, or I'll call you a liar. :tiptoe:

Hey D how's your week going? Any problems that I should know about????

We could all use a laugh once in awhile....I sure did when I ruined that whole damn batch...which is still hiding in a box by the way...however, the box is behind the hubby's recliner...hiding in plain sight...smart eh? :tiptoe:

I was just thinking .... the cracks you're getting across the tops, are they straight across, like the center from side to side?

I found out something that I was doing that was causing cracks across the top...you won't believe how dumb it is either. If I moved the candles while they were setting up, or accidentally bumped the wick and knocked it off center and had to re-align it....the tops get cracks going right across. Took a few tea lights, or so, before I realized what it was. I was blaming that darn tempermental soy....duh. So, set 'em when you pour, and leave 'em alone, no matter how much you wanna peek.

I hope your trouble is that simple, wouldn't that be nice for a change!

Well, I pour them on a scale and then have to lift them off to pour the next one, but they're still liquidy b/c I do it right away. What do you think? Problem?

And yes, here's a tip - watch out for broken burning glass. Suffice it to say that I am effectively hobbled and on crutches for a few days. Beware! :confused:

Ohhh,noooo!

What did you do?! Are you alright? Poor you.

Fortunately, nothing like that has happened to me. Surprisingly.

I weigh mine too and set them aside. However, sometimes, I accidentally bump one and have to re-adjust the lid, or move them as they are setting up, and I know I am causing cracks. Same with tea lights.

I sure hope you feel better soon. I am really sorry for your accident. Man, just what you don't need right now, especially with a child to care for.

Oh, I have no one to blame but myself. I truly can't even bring myself to tell you because it's so embarassing. I'm sure you can draw your own conclusions what with being a chandler, and having had important meetings to get ready for, and freak out for, and lose your sanity for, LOL! I'm better now, I had to spend three days on crutches and my toddler did think that was just a hoot - a chance to outrun Mommy and be guaranteed a win! Praise God my husband works from home and can take over when I need him!