Painting Candles

Hi everyone, :yay: I'm new to the group all the way from Philadelphia PA...I have seen so many beautiful candles on this site...I am also new to candlemaking and would like to know how to go about painting candles. I have a candle n soap paint kit...but I understand that acrylic paints r flammable or is this safe for candles...or should the candles be made not to be lit at all...PLEASE HELP!!! :confused:

Hi,

I just joined this forum if you haven't received an answer to your question this is what I do with my painted candles.

I drill out the center of the candle with a 1 1/2 forster bit and put a tea light in them. That way they can be burned and the painted candle is preserved.

I'm not sure if the paint is flammable or not, some say it is, some say it isn't.

Saw that you are from Philadelphia, I'm from Pa too, we have relatives that live in South Philly. Have fun painting your candles. I've done a lot of painted candles, if you need any help just yell.:yay:

Hope that helps,

Dee

What works best for me is to spray the area you plan to paint with matte finish varnish, two coats. Then paint with acrylic paints. I have never had a problem with them burning. Also, you can buy the little tea lite or votive plugs that fit in your candle mold and it makes a hole to put in your tea lite or votive. I really like these. I got mine from Pourette. There is one on my website, a heart candle for wedding favors. It isn't painted, but you can see how the insert works. Also I paint hurricanes so I don't have to worry about the burning issue. Donita

It is under the photo luminaries category (don't know why we have it there??????) That page seems to be askew too....It is the only page on my website that "floats" the pictures around on the page. Must look into that too. Anyway, hope this helps.

http://www.donitahoyer.com/

I found a picture of one of the first painted candles I did. I use the tealights because I paint the whole candle. The first candle I did without a tealight and the paint melted and got stringy across the flame. I didn't burn any further to see if it would catch fire. I checked the candle medium and also the paint that I use and neither of them say they are nonflammable. If your paints don't say that they are nonflammable, I would paint one and burn it to the end and don't leave it while it is burning it's the only way you will know for sure. I'm not sure how to post a picture, hopefully it goes through.

post-1815-139458384327_thumb.jpg

Hi Donita,

I love your candles, they are gorgeous! What a talented lady you are.

I have a question for you. I would like to get those tea light plugs for molds, it will save me a lot of time not having to drill the pillars for tea lights when I paint them. Does pourette have a website? I've never seen those plugs at any of the suppliers I purchase from. Thanks so much.

Dee