Comparing the least expensive FOs to the most expensive

Darbla

I see people commenting about liking the less expensive FOs such as from Bert's and the Candle Source, and of course the expensive ones have their fans, but I've never read where anybody really compared them. We've got the 'fragrance twins' thread, which helps, but when I put all those in a spreadsheet it really didn't amount to many. Money is getting harder to come by these days, so I'm debating on skipping the cheap ones and going straight for the better quality ones. We just can't afford to lose money on mistakes now.

So, are the least expensive ones ever really as good as the most expensive?

Who are your favorite least expensive FO suppliers? (e.g., Candle Source, Bert's)

Who is your fave middle of the road? (e.g., Tennessee Candle Supplies, Kentucky, Mill Creek)

And most expensive? (e.g., Day-Star, Green Leaf, Scent Works, Soap Silly, Wholesale Supplies Plus, MMS, etc.)

And which group do you tend to buy more from?

Darbla

I buy most of my scents for candles from KY and Peaks. I am waiting on my box of samples from Berts.....I really hope they are good. I will go with the cheaper supplier if I can get just as good FO's from them.

Now soap is a different story. I use mostly SW and KY and BB for them.

tootie

It's very unwise to use price as a tool to judge quality.

Some of the most expensive oils work great in soap/B&B but aren't worth the powder to blow them to hell in wax.

Some mid-priced oils will blow your doors off in wax.

Some oils work great in my wax but won't work in yours.

And so forth and so forth.

Testing for yourself is the absolute only way to judge. Price should never be a qualifier.

In general, I don't think price *necessarily* has anything to do with it. I mostly use CS, Peaks, GL, and NG. All companies have both very strong oils, and a couple oils that have been dissappointing in their strength and fragrance. As far as SW, I've only bought 3 fos from them, and they all smell awesome and are worth their price, IMO. In addition, they do have more complex fragrances to choose from. However, I've read where they've also got oils that are on the weaker side, or have been disappointing.

For me, this has been discovered, well, very expensively lol.

As Sliver said, you really have to try for yourself, and unfortunately it costs quite a bit of $$ to do so! The up side is that you *can* get ideas on where to start by searching/asking on this forum and others:)

HTH~~and makes sense!

I think those are great questions.

Which category would Peak and Candlescience be in?

I think that's an unfair call to judge. Every place probably has some perks, bonus and well-known duds.

I agree with SOW on this one to the nth degree. And I wouldn't qualify a supplier for any category based on price. There's a lot more to be said for other factors that weigh in to what makes a supplier good. I'm not even sure I'd classify Day-Star, Greenleaf and some of the others as expensive, because I know where there's far more expensive prices to pay for far less uniqueness in scent.

Guess that's a matter of personal preference how you'd want to classify someone, but I don't care for your definitions of who is cheap, who's middle range and who's too expensive. Consider that there are impersonators out there as well, but guess it's the dollar that talks and not the testing results you get.

I dont know if I am maybe not as knowledgable as all of you, but WSP doesnt seem super expensive for me, I think thats what category the original poster had them in. I order from peaks for a lot of my FOs, but WSP has economy scents and every one I have tried I have loved. I sell more of their blueberry muffin than anything else. I have been switching a lot of things I used to get from Peaks to WSP because I am in Ohio and only in CO in the summers for a couple weeks, such as wax etc. because of shipping prices. I just love Peaks samples though. I always get those little bottles and tuck them away so Im not tempted, then sure enough a week later I'm testing and ordering more.

So I guess what I am saying is I think WSP isn't really in the most expensive category at all. Their economy scents are compirable in price to many other company's and are AWESOME scents (so far, knock on wood). Just my :2cents:

But for me also, we have a local Pat Cattan's that has several FOs and I can't think of the company's name, but if I can find something from them I can use I'll pay extra for it being so local in case I need it in a hurry. For example, my Apple Pie, Stawberry, Orange Dreamsicle and French Coffee. I also have a few scents on my available list that I have had special ordered and used a scent from Pat Cattans, ie its been tested, but so if I ever need to make it again I can drive litterally like 5 minutes to get the scent that day instead of waiting to get it. I just checked the brand is Abbey and Sullivan. They have a kiwi melon and a couple others that don't throw so well, and the selection is thin.

So I guess pricing for me depends on localness too. I will pay more for something I can get faster if need be. But quality is the main thing, I think.

Price should never be a qualifier.

I couldn't agree more.

My number one seller in candles is a less expensive oil- 12.95 per lb. KILLER throw in soy, hot and cold. I have a few, of what I consider *premium* priced oils [30.00 plus per lb] and they do squat in candles and *fair* in B&B applications. But damn, they smell great! Sometimes it is good to remember, it's not what "we" like, it's what sells and performs in our efforts to create the best possible product. I have an oil from Sweetcakes that I love, but I found a comparable oil from another supplier at less than half the price.

Test, test, test. What works for me, might not work for everyone else. I've cut my supplier list down considerably, with the rising costs of supplies and shipping these days. More expensive to me doesn't mean it performs well. I've witnessed many crafters buying oils that only do "double duty"- meaning candles, CP soap and all B&B applications. Seems like a smart thing to do.

I couldn't agree more.

My number one seller in candles is a less expensive oil- 12.95 per lb. KILLER throw in soy, hot and cold. I have a few, of what I consider *premium* priced oils [30.00 plus per lb] and they do squat in candles and *fair* in B&B applications. But damn, they smell great! Sometimes it is good to remember, it's not what "we" like, it's what sells and performs in our efforts to create the best possible product. I have an oil from Sweetcakes that I love, but I found a comparable oil from another supplier at less than half the price.

Test, test, test. What works for me, might not work for everyone else. I've cut my supplier list down considerably, with the rising costs of supplies and shipping these days. More expensive to me doesn't mean it performs well. I've witnessed many crafters buying oils that only do "double duty"- meaning candles, CP soap and all B&B applications. Seems like a smart thing to do.

Thank you Mystical Angel, that is the kind of information I personally was looking to get from the post :yay:

but was wondering what makes the more expensive ones, well...more expensive :)

Some use essential oils in their product. Some just think because so-and-so can charge this much, I can too. Some buy the cheapest and charge an arm, some charge more. Price has something to do with what synthetics and what essentials are in a scent. Some prices depend on the market for a particular ingredient. Look at real patchouli. It's not quite the price of gold, but fragrances that have it in there are going to cost more because of the shortage of the ingredient.

I'm not saying there aren't cheaper scents out there that don't perform well ... but there are a lot that don't. There are some fragrances that are cut, others that have a smell out of bottle and nowhere else, others that are pricey and poor quality too and others who may stock an army of FO with medium price ranges that don't perform either.

My #1 seller is also a 12.95 oil. I agree that as prices continue to rise, I am trying to find oils that work in candles, B&B and soap. Many of mine do work in all applications.

Buying samples and testing for yourself is the only way. Carole

My #1 seller is also a 12.95 oil. I agree that as prices continue to rise, I am trying to find oils that work in candles, B&B and soap. Many of mine do work in all applications.

Buying samples and testing for yourself is the only way. Carole

That's basically my goal too - to have oils that perform in all my applications. I don't soap but do dabble in B&B along with making paraffin pillars and soy/par containers. I purchase from 6 different suppliers, some more expensive than others. One of my fav's is $45/lb(FO/EO blend) - I could look for a cheaper oil but I love this one and only offer it to special customers/friends and use it for myself. One friend ordered 30 6" pillars at Xmas and I made her 5 with this scent for the same price = she orders like this every holiday season so it's worth giving her a deal.

Of the oils I've tested so far from Bert's, they have all been very good. I have to assume that she is able to keep her prices lower because she doesn't have the overhead costs that some of the other store-front type suppliers must have. A supplier's overhead will dictate the necessary mark-up just as it does with we chandlers & soapers.

Me too, I buy from all levels .There are a few that I get in

25 # quantities from Alpha, because I sell way too much of those scents to fool around buying a # at a time.

I've bought so called high-end oils in the past that completely sucked in wax. So testing is well advised.

• 3 weeks later...

I was fortunate enough to buy a whole bunch of Peak's fo's and I have yet to not love one in cp and C-3. I also am very pleased with the fo's I've purchased from Bert. I've found the samples I had from Flickers and The Scent Works to be perfect as well, but I did my homework really with all of them, before I bought them. You really are best just reading around all over the place and hoping to hit on a great fo that's not costly and works great, then try that one to test yourself. Or talk to people who use your wax and see what they're having success with, then test that as well.

I really have to say though, I'm very lucky I don't live near Peak's, Bert, or The Scent Works because I'd be shopping a lot more than I have shopped for this stuff if I could pick it up in person. LOL I think I'd be in trouble if I lived near Southern Soapers as well, from all I read. Can't wait to try their stuff, or Tony's, one day. :drool: