Question about wrapping M&P soap

Lorraine

Is it okay to wrap M&P soap in cello paper (the kind you use to wrap baskets) and use a piece of tape to keep it closed? Does it have to be wrapped in saran type wrap for some reason? I don't want it to dry out after time. Thanks for any help!

Lorraine

The best bags I have found to wrap your soap in are the cello bags made for soap and candles.

Your soap is going to continue drying out no matter what you do with it or how well or how often you wrap it.

I put my soap in either cello bags or shrink wrap them and then into sachet bags or boxes. I find that helps to lock in moisture and keep them fresher longer.

Thanks Candybee. So they will still dry out eventually? How long will they last in cello bags? I don't sell the soap-- it's for me, family and friends for a gift here and there. Guess I better not make up too much too far ahead of time! What about the soap base we buy from the suppliers? What is the shelf life on those bases? They are wrapped in only a thin piece of plastic wrap or in a plastic tub.

Would it be better to wrap the soaps (with FO and color) in plastic wrap and then put them in cello bags? Double wrap em!

What do all of you wonderful experienced MP soapers do? TIA

Lorraine

if its just for family use i wrap mine tight in saran wrap, slap a label with the scent and keep them in a basket in the closet so the family can grab one when they want

if im giving them away i will shrink wrap them and put them in a soap box with a label

actually i really do prefer to wrap mine in saran or cling wrap, sometimes you get a nice big bar or a odd shaped bar that is just plain difficult to get into a shrink wrap baggie and then when you actually shrink it, well it looks funky

cello bags are awesome, tight saran or cling wrap is awesome too, you could even put a cigar band type of label around them with the wrap and a nice ribbon or raffia, gives it that "made with love and care" look

Thanks DeAnna! That should work for me then too! Sure wish I could afford to shrink wrap them too. Maybe a future investment!

Lorraine

You don't have to spend a fortune to shrink wrap them. ;) Just buy some shrink wrap bags and a heat gun and go to it. That's what I do!

I used to saran wrap mine, but it's way more time consuming IMO.

I sometimes just put mine in small cello bags with cute ribbons/twine tied at the end. That's the easiest IMO.

Oh, and I've had some shrink wrapped in boxes since before Christmas and they are fine. ;)

Hi Michi~ Now I'll have to do some research on where I can get some shrink wrap bags and a heat gun real cheap! Always wanted one of those heat guns! Just don't want to push my husband over the edge with all of my buying and then storing all of this (wonderful!) stuff for my HOBBY!!! May have to stick with the saran wrap & cello till I find a real good deal I can't pass up!

Lorraine

Hi Michi~ Now I'll have to do some research on where I can get some shrink wrap bags and a heat gun real cheap! Always wanted one of those heat guns! Just don't want to push my husband over the edge with all of my buying and then storing all of this (wonderful!) stuff for my HOBBY!!! May have to stick with the saran wrap & cello till I find a real good deal I can't pass up!

Lorraine

I buy all my shrink wrap bags from an ebay store "the shrinkwrap store" CHEAP, and I bought my heat gun at Walmart. ;)

As for your DH-read my siggie! LOL

My only issue with making MP too far ahead is that depending on your dyes, they either bleed or worse- fade- and really turn something not so pretty over time. So if you have a great coloring agent that sticks, it's atually GOOD to let M&P sit for a while to cure up. It seems to last longer when you do.

I've just ordered some M & P from peaks... Love the goats milk. How far ahead, is too far ahead, for making M&P soaps... If I made soap today,, would it last until end of May or June for shows?

I'd like to add some soaps to my line but know I do not want to make soaps where I have to work with lye... just too dangerous and something I wouldn't want in my home and I thought MP would be the answer... hmmm. .maybe not.

Thx much

I've just ordered some M & P from peaks... Love the goats milk. How far ahead, is too far ahead, for making M&P soaps... If I made soap today,, would it last until end of May or June for shows?

Yes, I don't see why not. I have soap from October 07 that is just fine. It's wrapped in saran and in a box on a shelf.

I wrap mine tightly in saran, but I let it "cure" for a few days. It's a matter of opinion, the base, what you put in it, etc. I like it, and (personally) think it makes a difference.