Repouring... Is it really needed?

To Repour... or Not To Repour.... That Is The Question!  

39 members have voted

1. 1. To Repour... or Not To Repour.... That Is The Question!

• I always repour!
    • Why bother!

:undecided Who is stuffing anything down anyones throat?

Looking at your site, it became obvious to me you are a man with a hubby. People hate that stuffed down their throat. You may reconsider the fact no one cares about your sexual orientation and could prove a turn off to many people by mere mention. JMO.

:) :) :)

:undecided Who is stuffing anything down anyones throat?

I mean the partners in life and business. No one cares about that. Partners is sufficient, again IMO. Another, IMO, if you must have Tristin and David pictures, that photo looks like your heads were photo shopped onto another body.

Well... if no one cares about it... then why are you making such a big deal about it.

As for our heads being photoshopped... LOL... why would I waste time putting our head on someone elses body? :undecided

I mean the partners in life and business. No one cares about that. Partners is sufficient, again IMO. Another, IMO, if you must have Tristin and David pictures, that photo looks like your heads were photo shopped onto another body.

That's totally fine... just posing an observation.

I've been browsing the forum for months and months now, and I realize that it is an honored craft, that takes time, patience, and creativity, and I admire you all for such.

Just because my site is in place, doesn't mean I am going to start accepting orders. I haven't begun marketing for the site yet, and have yet to submit the site for search engines.

I know the severity of having a quality product before entering the market place, and I believe I said many times, I will not sell until everything is 100%

On a side note... one thing that I love about this forum is the fact that everyone for the most part is very uplifting towards others work. However, I've noticed in recent days for some reason, a lot of people are too quick to judge, especially with the newbies. It's almost as if saying... "we've been doing this for a lot longer than you have, don't even try to think you are better!" It tends to make people standoffish towards trying the craft out.

read this quickly, because this is off topic and will be deleted...

What I dislike is the attitude of closed-mindedness, refusal to accept or respect other's hard-earned wisdom, refusal to try to learn instead of teach, rush to sell-ie putting the cart before the horse, demanding to be spoon-fed answers, etc. I view it as a teacher/student r'ship. I would never disrespect my teacher. Because I may have graduated grade school in the candle-making world only means that there are still college-level teachers above me. I don't come here spouting that I know a lot, but I've been doing this a while, and have tested a lot of things. But, MOST IMPORTANTLY, I realize that there are many people here who know a lot more than I know. I respect them, and expect others to do the same. Just as I deserve respect for what I've learned. I call 'bullshit' when I see it, and respect others who call me on mine. What I don't understand is why some think it's alright to say something inappropriate to me simply because they think I've said something inappropriate. You ask me to not respond, you say mean things to me... and justify it... how?

I agree about being better than the rest. 9 out of 10 candles I buy in the market are crap, price wise and throw. I got a Yankee :( for Christmas, and it sucks. I never understood why anyone is willing to spend $20-30 for something that doing burn properly. I have had to push the sides down at least 10 times already.

The main reason for my original post was the mechanics of the repour. Perhaps I should have made that more clear. Whether the repour on a votive specifically has anything to do with proper burning.

But Over I feel we are suppose to be better than them. That is why most of us started doing this is because we wanted to be better than the big guys.

Go to any soy website, and the why soys are basically the same.

Yep a bunch of hyped propaganda, bashing paraffin and not honestly stating the actual facts about soy and its comparison to paraffin. :tongue2: The 'all natural' crap, but no mention of the pesticides or chemicals it takes to produce soy wax; or even the synthetic FO's used. Soy soots less, yada, yada horse crap!! Too bad it's 99% of the soy sites that state, as 'fact', so much misinformation about paraffin and soy. :rolleyes:

I respect everyone on here... I believe I said that. I am still learning, and have A LOT to learn. I may be putting the cart before the horse... but thats me. I like to have things in place so when things are ready to proceed... they can.

read this quickly, because this is off topic and will be deleted...

What I dislike is the attitude of closed-mindedness, refusal to accept or respect other's hard-earned wisdom, refusal to try to learn instead of teach, rush to sell-ie putting the cart before the horse, demanding to be spoon-fed answers, etc. I view it as a teacher/student r'ship. I would never disrespect my teacher. Because I may have graduated grade school in the candle-making world only means that there are still college-level teachers above me. I don't come here spouting that I know a lot, but I've been doing this a while, and have tested a lot of things. But, MOST IMPORTANTLY, I realize that there are many people here who know a lot more than I know. I respect them, and expect others to do the same. Just as I deserve respect for what I've learned. I call 'bullshit' when I see it, and respect others who call me on mine. What I don't understand is why some think it's alright to say something inappropriate to me simply because they think I've said something inappropriate. You ask me to not respond, you say mean things to me... and justify it... how?

I always repour, unless I'm using a real one pour wax in a container.

I always repour tarts, too. I use paraffin for those, and I hate to see a little sink, no matter how small it is.

Sunken tops are really amatourish, candles seem to be made by someone who doesn't even know what to do.

And, just to ask... are you sure you don't sell yet? I'm on the payment page of your site, with two items in the cart. Obviously I won't check out.

Why do we seem so harsh when a newbie comes and is ready to sell while he's still in need of basical knowledge? Who knows, maybe because we're a bunch of idiots, we take so seriously what we do, but maybe we are on the wrong track, and if we were smarter now we all could have million dollars in our bank account!

Thanks for the input!

Yes, I'm sure I don't sell yet... yes, the site is active, and the cart appears to be, but its not... any transaction that is attempted to be processed comes in null. Even for "Some Guy... In Some Town" :undecided

I always repour, unless I'm using a real one pour wax in a container.

I always repour tarts, too. I use paraffin for those, and I hate to see a little sink, no matter how small it is.

Sunken tops are really amatourish, candles seem to be made by someone who doesn't even know what to do.

And, just to ask... are you sure you don't sell yet? I'm on the payment page of your site, with two items in the cart. Obviously I won't check out.

Why do we seem so harsh when a newbie comes and is ready to sell while he's still in need of basical knowledge? Who knows, maybe because we're a bunch of idiots, we take so seriously what we do, but maybe we are on the wrong track, and if we were smarter now we all could have million dollars in our bank account!

We always do a repour with our paraffin votives and melts - it just looks more attractive. I have seen the melts being sold without the second pour and it just looks so "unfinished" and ugly to me.

With our soy, we get flat tops on the first pour, so no need to repour.

I think candles with sink holes should have a repour b/c without it, it can effect the burn.In most cases if you have a sink hole its just going to tunnel down the middle, unless you use a big ol' wick that actually burns too hot for a votive-in that case you may get a fullu consumed votive but then you've created a more serious issue that could actual be harmful.99% of us here got into candle making b/c the candles we were buying were crap and tunneled down the middle.Why would you want to make a candle like that?

Over, he she, who cares, you might want to check you facts on soy candles for starters. The debate continues, but the fact still remains that once you add anything and I mean anything to soy i no longer remains natural. Maybe what you should do to prove you point about testing is to post some pics in the gallery of some of your burn results. If you would like to be a part of this community, then do just that, be a part of it. Heed the warnings, as you may find yourself in a sticky situation. good luck in your testing and please do post some pics we would love to see them. Oh soy candles burn more evenly than parrafin, had to chuckle at that one, my candle burn very evenly , yes I am a parrafin user. That statement alone is just completely false. Unless of course you talking about Ya@@@@@ or some of the other big guys candles. See theirs are machine poured, who different scenario there.

Wow.. I go to work for 12 hrs and this thread has become 5 pages and about selling :shocked2:

On a side note... one thing that I love about this forum is the fact that everyone for the most part is very uplifting towards others work. However, I've noticed in recent days for some reason, a lot of people are too quick to judge, especially with the newbies. It's almost as if saying... "we've been doing this for a lot longer than you have, don't even try to think you are better!" It tends to make people standoffish towards trying the craft out.

We usually do encourage others, but we're also cautious. We want newbies to be successful! Partly because we enjoy our craft and like to spread it around. The other part is selfish. Each time a new persons sells a "not thoroughly tested" candle, there will most likely be problems with it. That customer will think of that poor quality every time they see a hand poured one (and we all pray that's it's just a poorly burning candle they're thinking of, not physical or property damage that was done). It gives us all a bad name. It's hard enough getting people to try something new without having to go up against a bad experience on top of it.

I don't even try to imagine myself as one of those "highly experienced" chandlers out there. My candles are very limited, because that's all that I have tested completely. However I will say... someone who has been learning to makes candles a few weeks CANNOT produce a better candle on a regular basis than someone who's been testing for years. There are so many different things to look for in quality and soo many different things that can go wrong. Until you've been doing it a while you wont see half of it. You can make one and have it burn fine... or at least what looks fine. Then the next six may smoke/soot, turn into a torch, drown out.... possibilities are endless.

It may seem like we're quick to judge, but we're not really for the most part. We've seen a lot of people come and go. People who pop in and say" Woo Hooo! I just got my first order" when they just bought their first slab of wax 3 weeks before. Unless you have one size, one scent, test nonstop every day, that candle wont be even be close to fully tested.

Ok, I'm done :2cents:

Hi!

Besides the fact that a smooth top is really nice, I think if you don't do the repour if you shrink wrap the votive (not sure if this is how you are thinking of packaging) the top where the wax will be thin will crack and break. I think they would be more fragile this way.

Good Luck!

I'm experimenting today with pouring at a cooler temperature than I usually do (150* instead of 175*) to see if that minimizes the dip in the middle. And then since there will still be some dip anyway, I'm going to try heat-gunning to smooth that out. I don't mind repouring, but I'm thinking of the economics: the expensive wax & FO going to repours would instead be more whole votives.

I buy Crystal Journey Candle's votives, and theirs have a dip. It's not excessive (smaller dips than mine turn out) and made me curious what kind of wax they use. I don't mind it.

Darbla

HE :angry2:

Guess my other post got deleted cause of the F word....

So EXCUSE ME!! :angry2: :angry2: I did state that I did NOT look at your site....but since then I DID look at your site.

Like the others said....Get the facts about soy straight and I would drop the sexual preferance part....life partners or whatever and just focus on business.

Good luck...is all I have to say.:tiptoe:

Again, as I stated earlier... I wasn't mad because anyone said she.... you can't obviously tell emotion by animated faces. :tongue2:

As for me changing anything about preference on my site... its not a big deal... and if anyone makes it a big deal (which it shouldn't be), I'd rather not have their business in the first place.

Guess my other post got deleted cause of the F word....

So EXCUSE ME!! :angry2: :angry2: I did state that I did NOT look at your site....but since then I DID look at your site.

Like the others said....Get the facts about soy straight and I would drop the sexual preferance part....life partners or whatever and just focus on business.

Good luck...is all I have to say.:tiptoe: