Why do we like salt bars?

TexasBrat

I've never made them, but have tried one and I didn't like it.

The one I rec'd was "scrubby", I mean I could definitely feel the salt.

I can also tell you that shaving and salt bars do not go well together! OUCHIE-the burning!!!!! :(

And salt is drying to the skin-hence the reason one of the posters said it works wonders on her zits. ;)

I guess I just don't see the good of them. I'd much rather use a moisturizing sugar scrub. :)

Michi, if you want to try a good salt bar that isn't scratchy and has nice bubbles that leaves your skin feeling good, let me know. I have one that I can put in the mail.

Michi, if you want to try a good salt bar that isn't scratchy and has nice bubbles that leaves your skin feeling good, let me know. I have one that I can put in the mail.

It almost sounds like Michi used a salt scrub bar and not a salt soap bar. :undecided Salt scrub bars or glow bars/Apres bars will tear your skin up if you are not careful. My salt bars are not scratchy and I've never seen one that is. I can vouch that Carrie's salt bars are not scratchy either.

Sure, I'd LOVE to try one of your salt bars Carrie, thank you! :) I'll PM you my addy.

I'm gonna try making some (got a recipe from BarbinAL-thanks) but I need to find sea salt, I guess they may have it at the grocery store huh? I don't have a super walmart, so I know they don't have it there.

It almost sounds like Michi used a salt scrub bar and not a salt soap bar. :undecided Salt scrub bars or glow bars/Apres bars will tear your skin up if you are not careful. My salt bars are not scratchy and I've never seen one that is. I can vouch that Carrie's salt bars are not scratchy either.

You know I think you may be right about that, it did get used up rather quickly-much quicker than a cp soap would, that's for sure. Hmm interesting.

All I know is I was feeling "out of the loop" cuz I was thinking I was the ONLY one who didn't like salt bars! :(

I haven't came across a salt bar that I totally loved, yet.

The last one I received in a swap became abrasive to my skin after a few uses. I'm thinking it was the jojoba beads.

I prefer oily scrubs, but I have extremely dry skin. Or the creamy, moisturizing variety.

I do have one from Meridith that I will try out, soon.

This will tell me if I really like salt bars or not. I still keep a silver of her Coconut soap with various milks from the auction swap. That soap was totally divine. :cool2:

I haven't came across a salt bar that I totally loved, yet.

The last one I received in a swap became abrasive to my skin after a few uses. I'm thinking it was the jojoba beads.

I prefer oily scrubs, but I have extremely dry skin. Or the creamy, moisturizing variety.

I do have one from Meridith that I will try out, soon.

This will tell me if I really like salt bars or not. I still keep a silver of her Coconut soap with various milks from the auction swap. That soap was totally divine. :cool2:

I'm out of the triple milk coconut soap. WAAAAA!

I think we need to have a swap and Meridith will send in 20 of the coconut bars and you and I will split them. Sound good?

It was the Peak Swap. Meridith sent in a triple milk soap scented with Peak coconut milk. She sent me another one that I used up and then when I went and visited her she gave a couple more. My last one of the stash, I sent to Scented. It was a moment of weakness and I swear I'll never part with another one.

It was the Peak Swap. Meridith sent in a triple milk soap scented with Peak coconut milk. She sent me another one that I used up and then when I went and visited her she gave a couple more. My last one of the stash, I sent to Scented. It was a moment of weakness and I swear I'll never part with another one.

I think I remember that bar, it was brownish right? Wow, so many swaps so many soaps. lol

We should do a coconut or goats milk soap swap. That to me would be very interesting to try out and compare soaps.

Yeah...good salt bars should not be scratchy nor drying. Mine are super bubbly too! I do 100% coconut (monoi if I'm feeling decadant) with a 10% SF and use equal salt (plain old table salt) to oils. Those suckers are hard as brick, feel like washing with polished stone, and crazy amounts of luscious bubbly goodness (that leaves you feeling lotioned - not tight and dry). What's not to love? :cheesy2:

I think I remember that bar, it was brownish right?

Yes, it was kind of brownish. It did not discolor as much as I thought it would. I would highly recommend Peaks' Coconut.

Thanks Carrie and MA. I will be making this one again since it was so popular. I'll send you both a bar too if you would like. :)

Yes, it was kind of brownish. It did not discolor as much as I thought it would. I would highly recommend Peaks' Coconut.

Thanks Carrie and MA. I will be making this one again since it was so popular. I'll send you both a bar too if you would like. :)

You're welcome Meridith. When I grow up I want my soap to be as wonderful as yours.

Me..I would love one if you are offering, thanks. :cheesy2:

So, why do my salt bars keep coming out like crap? My last 3 batches of soap have not come out right at all and I feel like throwing in the towel!!! Do most of you make salt bars 100% coconut? I'm feeling somewhat worthless right now, someone help me redeem myself!

So, why do my salt bars keep coming out like crap? My last 3 batches of soap have not come out right at all and I feel like throwing in the towel!!! Do most of you make salt bars 100% coconut? I'm feeling somewhat worthless right now, someone help me redeem myself!

No, my bars were not 100%coconut, in fact the majority was olive oil. I think mine are okay but I have no idea. I am sending them to a few people to check out and give me their opinion of them.

Why do you say they aren't any good?

My last recipe tweak was 85% coconut, 5% shea, 5% castor and 5% babassu. They were just OK after 6 weeks but after 6 months they are wonderful bars. I'm using it as a facial bar right now.

I use 1/2 fine grind sea salt from the bulk bins at the grocery store and 1/2 non-iodized table salt. I do equal amounts of salt and oils.

No, my bars were not 100%coconut, in fact the majority was olive oil. I think mine are okay but I have no idea. I am sending them to a few people to check out and give me their opinion of them.

Why do you say they aren't any good?

They're coming out too soft. It feels like washing with Crisco mixed up with salt. The first time I made salt bars they were fine, now ... I don't know what's going on. Tomorrow I'm going to try just coconut oil and see what happens. I just am concerned about all that coconut oil being too drying.

• 3 years later...
Yeah...good salt bars should not be scratchy nor drying. Mine are super bubbly too! I do 100% coconut (monoi if I'm feeling decadant) with a 10% SF and use equal salt (plain old table salt) to oils. Those suckers are hard as brick, feel like washing with polished stone, and crazy amounts of luscious bubbly goodness (that leaves you feeling lotioned - not tight and dry). What's not to love? :cheesy2:

This is the recipe I use and it's wonderful. I brought to a light trace, added scent w/extra coconut oil and salt, mixed and put in my mold. Then placed into my 175* toaster oven (turned off) let it stay for 1 hr , removed and cut. With some difficulty I might add. It's perfect, hard and ready to use. Try your testing strips. The rough edges polish smooth. Love it, plus a bar last for a very long time. If you want to feel the salt try using a wash cloth with the salt soaps, I can feel the grains embedded and they scurb then.

I'm with everyone else.. my go to recipe was 80% coconut, 10% avocado, 5% castor, 5% shea - 10% superfat. And it was fine.. but I tried a 90% coconut, 5% castor, 5% avocado.. also 10% superfat, and I liked it better! They need a good cure, but they do last longer and are harder IMO. slightly more drying than a normal bar, yes.. but not too much so. I like them for face as well.

• 5 months later...

I gather this is an old thread but thought I'd say "hi" I'm a newbie and I love salt bars especially for my back. It gets really oily especially in the summer and yet I have sensitive skin, so when I found salt bars I fell in love. No irritation and my back is not as much of a hot mess hehe.. I don't use them after shaving my legs though, I am that sensitive.