Discarding old oils

Groovy Chic

I've been cleaning up my workshop and have some old oils that have seen better days. Question - what do you do with your oils that you need to discard? As tempting as it would be to pour them down the sink or throw them in the trash, I don't think either is a great choice so I keep hanging on to them. Which is also not a great choice. Any ideas?

This topic comes up every few months & it's amazing how polar opposite the opinions are. I'm not a massive tree hugger, but I do try to follow general courtesies to the future of our environment. So, I don't toss them down the drain or in the trash. Now ... to somewhat contradict myself ... it occurred to me last year that fo's can't really be much worse than some of the chemicals we buy to kill weeds. I use my old fo's to kill weeds that grow in the cracks of my patio, sidewalk & driveway. I don't apply this to my lawn, but a small amount in those cracks kills weeds in 24 hrs! So far, this has worked far better than any expensive chemical actually designed to kill weeds.

Susan.

So CareBear, your work must generate massive amounts of oil waste; do you know how it is disposed of?

I work in a chemistry department (university) but I am a physical chemist, so the waste I generate is minimal and generally water soluble. I know the organic chemists on the other side of the building are always synthesizing stinky hydrophobic stuff, and I wonder what happens to all the waste.

I guess I am scared to ask the Environmental Heath and Safety guys. I once worked at a research institute in Boston and the EH&S chief's motto was: The solution to polution is dilution. Translation: everything was dumped in the River Charles (love that dirty water!).

No I don't know how the company deals with waste oil - thankfully that's someone else's worry. But actually I do know that we don't "generate massive amounts of waste oil" because most of our ingredients are extremely costly and we try to buy only what we need of those ingredients (SAP is a wonderful thing). And also because we do pay to have the oils removed from our site. Oils = $$ and budgets are tight!

I use my old fo's to kill weeds that grow in the cracks of my patio, sidewalk & driveway. I don't apply this to my lawn, but a small amount in those cracks kills weeds in 24 hrs! So far, this has worked far better than any expensive chemical actually designed to kill weeds.

Susan.

There's nothin like a good smellin driveway lol...Is it the solvents in the fo's that can kill off weeds? If fo's can kill off weeds, than how safe could they be for us to use in candles/tarts? Just curious...

Well it's really a matter of dilution I think. WF - I use bleach on my laundry (diluted) and as a foot soak for athelet's foot (diluted) but I wouldn't want it on my skin full strength... And FOs are not designed to be used full strength, but diluted in products and/or the air.

A TON of things are like that.

There's nothin like a good smellin driveway lol...Is it the solvents in the fo's that can kill off weeds? If fo's can kill off weeds, than how safe could they be for us to use in candles/tarts? Just curious...

I have no idea why it works, but it does. Most of my fo's are skin safe, so I really can't imagine the small amount I toss in those cracks is more harmful than what Corp America tosses into our public waters! It's like Carebear says, dilution & proper usage is the key when we use these products as they're intended. Think about Botox ... I'm sure I don't want botulism injected into my face, but my Mom loves the stuff ... at least I think her wrinkle-free face is expressing love! LOL And yes, I do have the best smelling cement in town. I've tossed out scents that won't throw in a candle, but my patio smells amazing for weeks!!

Susan.

If they still smell, can't you just create room sprays with them?

If they're old, sometimes the scent will change/sour, and believe me you'll know it when you smell it.

Definitely don't want to use those stanky FO's for ANYTHING! *Barf*

I use my old fo's to kill weeds that grow in the cracks of my patio, sidewalk & driveway. I don't apply this to my lawn, but a small amount in those cracks kills weeds in 24 hrs! Susan.

Love this FYI, my crack are going to be smelling good and weed free. Also can be used as a goo gone and some as a furniture finish remover.

Most municipalities have recycle days were you can take oils and so forth. Usually free, but no more than a buck or so.

I've been cleaning up my workshop and have some old oils that have seen better days. Question - what do you do with your oils that you need to discard? As tempting as it would be to pour them down the sink or throw them in the trash, I don't think either is a great choice so I keep hanging on to them. Which is also not a great choice. Any ideas?

"Residues of birth control pills, antidepressants, painkillers, shampoos and a host of other compounds are finding their way into the nation’s waterways, and they have public health and environmental officials in a regulatory quandary." - NY TIMES

For those of you who suggested using F/O's to kill weeds.... wow... I'm really shocked. There are tons of eco-friendly alternatives, that won't enter the water supply. Using F/O's in such a manner is no different than doing your cars oil change right over a sewer grate.

LOL.... I was almost clapping when I was reading this... but it turned into a "YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYOHHHHHNO" :P

Down the drain, or in the garden.... it still makes its way to the river.

There was a major break in the system not too long ago... a river watchers group sued "China-Mart" because of their lawn products being housed in their parking lots. They weren't pouring toxins down their drains, but worse off, when it rained, their lawn chemicals & fertilizers where getting washed into the run off. "China-Mart" has since pulled all of their products into the stores (at least in most cities).

So take them to the recycling centers.... they are trained in what to do with them. While you are at it, I'm sure you all have 87958739853 bottles of cleaners, oils, paints, and who knows what else laying around in the garage.... they'll take them off your hands too! :P

GO GREEN!

This topic comes up every few months & it's amazing how polar opposite the opinions are. I'm not a massive tree hugger, but I do try to follow general courtesies to the future of our environment. So, I don't toss them down the drain or in the trash. Now ... to somewhat contradict myself ... it occurred to me last year that fo's can't really be much worse than some of the chemicals we buy to kill weeds. I use my old fo's to kill weeds that grow in the cracks of my patio, sidewalk & driveway. I don't apply this to my lawn, but a small amount in those cracks kills weeds in 24 hrs! So far, this has worked far better than any expensive chemical actually designed to kill weeds.

Susan.

• 2 months later...

So take them to the recycling centers.... they are trained in what to do with them. While you are at it, I'm sure you all have 87958739853 bottles of cleaners, oils, paints, and who knows what else laying around in the garage.... they'll take them off your hands too! :P

GO GREEN!

Very good points you made here. I used to think it was ok to put SMALL amount of fo/wax down the drain, then I did a temporary assignment at the Sanitation District and What an Awakening! Sanitation takes care of all waste water, even rain run off, and they treat that water to be recycled into drinking water! Now I use those same shavings that you use for fire starters to put old oil and that little bit of melted wax from the bottom of a candle into before I dispose it in the trash. They suggested pouring melted wax into a tin can and when the can is full, dispose. Bear in mind that our city goes through the trash to pull out recycling, and they deal with those cans at that time. Taking it to the recycling center is the safest by far.