Individual votives

Well, I finally got around to taking a pic to show my sister, but figured I'd share here too. I've been working on packaging for individual votives to allow people to pick up a few scents without too much $ invested. I was previously doing 4-pack votives, but thought that I like to change scent frequently, I'm sure others do as well. So I'm doing individuals instead. I'm open to any feedback good or bad. :)

individuals2.jpg

WOW very very nice boxes!

Aren't they expensive though especially in the aspect of being for a votive?

Did you have these professionally done or did you make them?

I see that you have the scent name and description on there also, which would add to the cost (at least time wise etc.).

I DO love them though! :)

I agree... they look great... the candles and the packaging!

But aside from selling them for $5.00 a piece (which would be hard to get for votives in my opinion), I dunno how you are going to work it.

I'm guessing the packaging costs upwards of $.50 a piece, if not more. Which isn't bad for nice packaging, but at that cost, I'd rather buy a nice glass container and some eco-friendly wrapping.

Those look great. Was wondering though about the cardboard sucking the scent out. I know [ unless the votives are wrapped ] if they are stored in the display cardboard boxes they will lose some of their scent. If I have a long period between shows, then I take mine out and put in the plastic containers.

I love the look and think it would attract an upscale market, so you could set a higher price point.

I would suggest shrink-wrapping the votive and having a small cutout window on the front panel of the box to display the color and appearance. The palm wax is too beautiful to completely hide in a box!

I also like the scent description on the box.

I love the look and think it would attract an upscale market, so you could set a higher price point.

I would suggest shrink-wrapping the votive and having a small cutout window on the front panel of the box to display the color and appearance. The palm wax is too beautiful to completely hide in a box!

I also like the scent description on the box.

I agree - too beautiful to hide! Love the single box idea. That is too cute, if affordable. It's too cute even if not affordable. I would buy them as a gift and not worry about the cost. Cute!

Beau-ti-ful presentation. If I were looking for a gift, I would definitely buy a votive in a box rather than unwrapped. Less work for the purchaser and professional looking. I would pay $5 for the presentation and convenience of just having to drop it in a gift bag.

Beau-ti-ful presentation. If I were looking for a gift, I would definitely buy a votive in a box rather than unwrapped. Less work for the purchaser and professional looking. I would pay $5 for the presentation and convenience of just having to drop it in a gift bag.

Amen, I agree!

Oh man, I just wrote a ton and it disappeared. Anyhow, I wanted to say thank you everyone! I actually made them myself. I don't know that I was going to charge $5 for a single votive... just they're going to be more expensive considering cost to make and my time to make them. Eventually I'd like to see some part of the process automated, but for now, I'm too small-time! haha

I wish I could show the candle!!! I was going to do a cutout of a circle or square (doing both flare and square shaped votives) and wanted to have it be easily identified with a cutout as well as seeing the color and being able to smell the candle without opening the box... but I can't find a thin enough tool to do it without taking apart each box. In other words, more work than it's worth! haha

Many of you brought up really good points too about the box taking in the scent. I may have to look into getting some heavier wax paper/board to sit in the bottoms so that it won't absorb the FO's.

But, I'll quit rambling. Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement! Sometimes it's nice to hear what other think and how it could be better. :)

Go to your local craft store and pick up a 1" decorative hole punch. They have them in 5753785035790753890 styles, so I'm sure you could find something cute. If you want to cover the wholes (to maintain the scent), pick up some clear plastic (like report covers), cut a small square, use a glue stick around the border, and stick it inside the box to cover the whole. Should only cost you about $.02 extra per box, but would really add to it.

Oh man, I just wrote a ton and it disappeared. Anyhow, I wanted to say thank you everyone! I actually made them myself. I don't know that I was going to charge $5 for a single votive... just they're going to be more expensive considering cost to make and my time to make them. Eventually I'd like to see some part of the process automated, but for now, I'm too small-time! haha

I wish I could show the candle!!! I was going to do a cutout of a circle or square (doing both flare and square shaped votives) and wanted to have it be easily identified with a cutout as well as seeing the color and being able to smell the candle without opening the box... but I can't find a thin enough tool to do it without taking apart each box. In other words, more work than it's worth! haha

Many of you brought up really good points too about the box taking in the scent. I may have to look into getting some heavier wax paper/board to sit in the bottoms so that it won't absorb the FO's.

But, I'll quit rambling. Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement! Sometimes it's nice to hear what other think and how it could be better. :)

Yes, I've got several sizes of punches in both circles, squares, tags, etc. The one you've posted above is too big to get into the space of a 2x2x2 box unless I take it apart and then glue it back together-- but that's much too time-consuming. :( I don't have that exact one but I have similar ones and the size is just not going to fit into that tiny votive box.

I've thought about just using a paper punch that you squeeze handles for. The smaller ones that used to only come in circles, but you can get them bigger now as well as in a variety of shapes. I'm too lazy to find a pic of one, but I hope you know what I'm talking about. :P

At this point, I'm still looking for ways to get around it. Just running out of options other than paying to get it done professionally which again, with my budget-- is out of the question. Keep the suggestions/ideas coming though if you think of others! :)

I just posted that one as an example. Surprisingly, a lot of people don't know what a craft punch is. HEHE! But you get the idea. I just closed my eyes and pictured your box (no comment), and thought a craft punch would do the trick. I didn't know the exact dimensions of your... "packaging" :drool: . If it's 2x2x2.... a 1" punch should work, as they are normally not much larger than the impression itself.

Yes, I've got several sizes of punches in both circles, squares, tags, etc. The one you've posted above is too big to get into the space of a 2x2x2 box unless I take it apart and then glue it back together-- but that's much too time-consuming. :( I don't have that exact one but I have similar ones and the size is just not going to fit into that tiny votive box.

I've thought about just using a paper punch that you squeeze handles for. The smaller ones that used to only come in circles, but you can get them bigger now as well as in a variety of shapes. I'm too lazy to find a pic of one, but I hope you know what I'm talking about. :P

At this point, I'm still looking for ways to get around it. Just running out of options other than paying to get it done professionally which again, with my budget-- is out of the question. Keep the suggestions/ideas coming though if you think of others! :)

It's very classy for packaging, but I agree with the others about not being able to see inside. Maybe even just a half inch circle in the lid flap. It's small but should be close enough to the votive top to see the palm effect and colors.

Your votives are just too pretty to hide! :D

The lid flap is a great idea! :yes:

You could easily punch that after the box is made. (I envision a circle). If the candle is already wrapped, you wouldn't even need to go to the trouble of a plastic window cover.

But go with what you can deal with! The boxed idea is still simply beautiful and ready for gift giving. Makes it more special than a loose votive.

Thank you so much everyone! You have no idea how happy I've been reading your responses. I've worked hard on them and even contemplated showing them at all, but I figured that's what we're here to do... share!

I'm very flattered that some of you thought these professionally done. That tells me I'm on the right track. Just my trusty photoshop software and my canon pixma printer. :) I soooo want a color laser though!

:) I soooo want a color laser though!

You will save the cost of a color laser printer in cartridges. I went from using 2 black cartridges and 1 of almost each color every month with inkjet down to 1 a year in laser, sometimes a 2nd black since my labels are black print, and so far only 1 drum (I've had the laser for almost 4 years now). Love, love, love it...and it paid for itself the first year. Those inkjet cartridges are expensive!

You will save the cost of a color laser printer in cartridges. I went from using 2 black cartridges and 1 of almost each color every month with inkjet down to 1 a year in laser, sometimes a 2nd black since my labels are black print, and so far only 1 drum (I've had the laser for almost 4 years now). Love, love, love it...and it paid for itself the first year. Those inkjet cartridges are expensive!

This is exactly the type of stuff I'm looking to hear! My main beef with inkjet is the smearing factor. You have to baby these labels and even cover them in acrylic. I've heard such good things about laser all the way around. Definately moving the printer up on my 'to get' list!!!

===================

WOW was my 1st thought.

Those boxes are to die for.

Ever think of making them up and selling them? :naughty:

Your votive is just so perfect in everyway

Oh and your presentation is pefect too.

You take good pics

Thank you! :) If you're talking about making up the boxes to sell via design services, yes I have! I am actually working on some ideas right now for someone else as we speak. I'm always up for some design work. ;) I really appreciate your kind words about the candles.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the whole individual packaging idea, but I personally would only use them for gifts, say for example if they were part of a gift basket. I really like your packaging they do look professionally made, you deserve an :highfive: , so keep doing what you're doing, because I am most definitely impressed!